Roland XV sounds didn't like my band

• Members

Actually it was true, I'm pretty dissapointed after spending $1100 on a xv-2020 w/ srx09 and srx10 and hours of trying we couldn't get the trumpet and flute sound we were looking for. Worse yet my whole band agreed sounds coming from an old psr2100 on those instruments were more convincing and real. I'm thinking seriously to buy a psr 3000 or motif es6 tonight or even a used tyros if I can get it cheap, and yes just because those instruments we are going to be using a lot on montuno performances.

Question here would be: anybody have some experience with motif es and motif rack es sounds regarding sweet voices. Are those at the same level of PSR3000/Tyros/Tyros2 keyboards???

• Members

Wow! I'm sorry that didn't pan out for you. Did you have a chance to audition the module before you bought it? I own a jv1010 and what I noticed after I bought it was that the converters were not up to par with the jv1080/2080. It made the sounds kind of thin and weak. I never trusted their half rack modules after that. You might find a better buy with a used XV5050.

If you can, audition the brass sounds of the Motif. I own a Motif ES7 and although I have heard some criticize the brass and wind instrument sounds, they have some excellent expansion boards that are a lot cheaper than Roland's. Check out their site here:

http://www.motifator.com/mart/mainframe.htm

• Members

What I noticed on the early units of the 2020 is the output is low. This may or may not have been corrected in later models. As for the XV/XP/Fantom sounds in general, a lot of bands seem to make it work and it seemed that every studio had an XV-5080.

• Members

You guys have probably "locked in" to the way these instruments sound on your PSR. If you can't return your Roland gear, I'd suggest finding someone who knows Roland, lining up two sounds on both the Roland and PSR, and see if you can edit the horns to your taste. Roland as a rule voices things for recording and not for live use, which often means too many effects.

Horn sounds like everything else can be a matter of personal taste. And not knowing exactly what you want makes it tougher... solo or ensemble, sampled with vibrato or not, etc. Maybe it's my own ignorance... I don't know what montuno is. But the Yamaha Motif ES and Tyros have excellent horns.

• Members

Exactly the output is too low(bought it one month ago). Lacks realism and some patches/rythms sound like mono samplers.

Unfortunately, I didn't have a chance to audition the module before buy it. I learned my lesson in the hard way.

DO NOT believe everything you read!

Sound Quality is subjective! or maybe there are people with earing problems out there.

My worst investment ever. I should have bought a motif mo6, fantom xa, motif rack es or a psr3000 with that money. Talking about toys...Wondering why roland sells non-pro stuff overpriced. The real price for this module should be $300.

Will Call Roland to see what they say and they better give me an acceptable fix for all my ISSUES.:(

• Members

Originally posted by superpowter77

Actually it was true, I'm pretty disappointed after spending $1100

Excuse my rant, but if you actually gave $1100 for a synth that costs $425 then i guess you just don't deserve to have a decent flute sound. Even with 2 boards, $1100 is a way way too much.

Some points:

- before actually giving your money for the synth it is useful to browse its patches and see if it fits the setup

- before you buy something, it is a good idea to ask people about the product and its presets, not vice versa, as you just did

- for just 150$ you could got yourself an Akai S-3000 professional sampler that has the best flutes and trumpets you can imagine - just get a sample CD with material you need and you are in the game. No synthesizer or expansion card can match the quality of dedicated sample CD ROM. Not to mention that S-3000 series have real synth like structure, filters with resonance, 32-voice polyphony, full digital onboard effects (delay, chorus, reverb, etc) two LFOs, etc.

• Members

I will try the AKAI's. note to Don Solaris, I've spent $1100 for a xv-2020(it was $595 just one month ago before samash start putting it on sale for $399) and a couple of SRX cards, SRX-09 and SRX-10 $249 each one. I guess it was a newbie mistake, we are moving on!

• Members

Yes, but it really hurts seeing such things happening. You should have ask people over here, visit other forums, never be affraid to ask more questions. Remember: there are no stupid questions - just stupid answers.

About AKAI, first find out which was the best flute / trumpet sample library. Then when you go to buy it, ask seller to play you some samples from the disk. In fact you don't need to have a sampler to check whats on the disk. CD Extract software can do it. Then you can get S-3000 with SCSI buy secondhand SCSI CD ROM drive with case (they are dirt cheap now), cable and you are done. Or get Akai CD3000 - comes with CD ROM drive.

• Members

thanks for your suggestions. Will take some time to get a second hand S-3000 on ebay. Hey! would be great to get one for $150 or less however I couldn't find anyone with a buy it now option. To be honest I can't afford to wait 5 days or more to get one and patience is not one of my virtues. I'm not saying gonna spend another grand without doing a research before. I found this Akai for under $1000.

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-AKA-MPC1000--m-04_85_757--d-2.html#

Does it have comparable specs to the S-3000 ??? what do you think?

Guest Anonymous

Samplers are cool but can be alot of work. There are hundreds of sample cd's for Akai which could take a lot of research. I would stick with Yamaha synths since they gave you the sound your looking for/used to. Here are a few Yamaha choices

S30

S03

EX5

EX7

EX5R

CS6X

CS6R

Motif 6

Motif ES6

Motif Rack

Motif Rack ES

Good Luck

:wave:

• Members

Any opinions regarding yamaha a4000 sampler??.

I have A-4000. I use it just for "experiment" stuff and producing new sounds. But for AKAI samples, no. Problem is, it won't take AKAI CD ROMs (import convert is terrible) and keep in mind AKAI library is the biggest in the world. In fact i cant think of any CD ROMs released for A-4000. Go with AKAI, you won't miss.

And as burster pointed out, sample search can be pain in the a*s. So best is to ask on some AKAI forum about specific samples you need.

• Members

xv-2020 has a lower greade DA compare to ther XVs... that might be why

... but anyway... all of the hardware synths i have used... motif es is wat i like the most

u can get similar eletronic sound in motif or S90

motif es have some and more better real insturment sound

regarding the soundqaulity and the dimention of the sound i find that motif/S90 have the same tone as ES range

so i think.... u should get a motif rack or streatch a bit more for motif es rack

• Members

I think the MOTIF range (or indeed any top end Yamaha) are pretty much the defacto standard for latin based music (I'm assuming thats themusic you do as you mentioned montuno). I saw Louie Vega's band use 2 MOTIFs (Classic and ES) in Lugano Switzerland... absolute killer sound... rhodes organ sounds and so on...

From personal experience I think the flutes are unbeatable... brass is always so-so on any keyboard... but the flugelhorn on the Classic (you can load it into the ES) was the best I've ever heard.

• Members

Originally posted by Rabid

As for the XV/XP/Fantom sounds in general, a lot of bands seem to make it work and it seemed that every studio had an XV-5080.

Wasn't the XV-5080 considered an industry standard about 6 years ago??

I've actually been using it in the studio and, with the exception of the drumkits, I prefer the sounds in my Yamaha S80 by a long-shot (I believe both were on the market around the same time).

I would think that the Motif sounds would be an even bigger improvement.

• Members

Any opinions regarding yamaha a4000 sampler??.

Ive got an A5000 and love it (twice the polyphony and FX of the 4000). I dont use it for playing sample libraries though - mostly for munging up stuff and synthy FX.

Tony

• Members

Just because a given synths, or guitars ect ect voice souds good solo, does not mean it will sound good in the mix. Far too often people spend lotsa time tweeking a voice to taste solo, wether synth guitar or otherwise, and then find its not so good sounding in the mix. Allways allways create your voice in the mix. Especially the final tweeking of its sound. And yes some synths just dont work that well with other synths in the mix together either no matter what amount of eq or other tweaking you do.

Archived