Modular Outboard from Cwejman

syncretism

• Members

What makes you say that?

There's a difference between something being too expensive and not being able to afford it. If you're definitely saying it's too expensive, then I'll assume that you know more about the modules than others here, so, please, fill us in.

• Members

Originally posted by syncretism

What makes you say that?

uh the prices. Im not saying thier stuff isnt nice because it is. But 475 bucks for a dual EG...no thanks...and yes I have played with their modules at analog haven.

Doepfer offers a quad EG for about half that. Its not that I cant afford thier modules...its just that I choose not to because generally I feel that their price point/spec ratio is a little high for what you get...more of a fan of PlanB and Livewire.

And wheather they are too expensive will be seen with the sales.

Take the Buchla 200e...Im sure its a fantastic synth...do you think they have sold many...probably not.

• Members

Obviously, very expensive synths will not sell as many as cheaper ones. The m5 (a recent acquisition) is one example. but is it overpriced? Nah. You just can't afford one, which is fine. I can't afford the buchla, but I wouldn't call it overpriced just because of that. Is there something that is as well made, has the same functionality, sounds as good for less? You have a point if there are similar modules from other manufacturers that are as well made and as functional, and cost much less....but I suspect that the Cwejman modules are very good indeed. I have one Doepfer case that is mostly empty...

• Members

Originally posted by droolmaster0

You have a point if there are similar modules from other manufacturers that are as well made and as functional, and cost much less....but I suspect that the Cwejman modules are very good indeed.

thats really what Im saying....and I thought the cwejamn modules I played with sounded good but its not like I said...damn this cwejman dual ocillator sounds so much better than the Plan B ocillators"...it just sounded a little different....but to me it wasnt worth the extra cost. They have a 3 band eq module for 500 bucks...its cool and has some added flexability but at the end of the day its a $500 3 band eq.

and seeing that I have about 5 grand in patchable modules its not that I could not afford something like the macbeth...but its just not my interest.

• Members

I wonder if anyone has built a full cwejman modular yet? I would be really interested to see and hear one.

Regarding the cost of these, I do feel like the modules are bit overpriced, but just one module does most tasks that would take three.

I sure would love to expand my s1 though. Maybe someday....

• Members

Originally posted by electrobaby

uh the prices. Im not saying thier stuff isnt nice because it is. But 475 bucks for a dual EG...no thanks...and yes I have played with their modules at analog haven.

Fair enough - more than I can say, though the few times I've played with the S1 Mk2, it's justified its price many times over.

• Members

Originally posted by syncretism

Fair enough - more than I can say, though the few times I've played with the S1 Mk2, it's justified its price many times over.

And then consider a Cwejman modular could offer even more. It's a botique modular and nothing sounds like it. Plus, what is the attack/decay/release times of the Doepfer modules? The cwejman modular has .1ms timing. That's fast and furious :p Some of the best percussive sounds I've heard. It would be interesting to hear a Doepfer and Cwejman Osc module put through Cwejman Filters and LFOs to test and see if there is a difference in sound of the Osc.

Those new modules are nice! I've never even known any other company to put pres/comps in modular format. That's totally sweet considering the price of good pres and comps.

• Members

Originally posted by stikygum

Plus, what is the attack/decay/release times of the Doepfer modules? The cwejman modular has .1ms timing. That's fast and furious

I have the standard EGs from doepfer and I dont know the exact timings but there are three modes a very long, standard, and a quick one that is so fast it can be adjusted to a mere click sound....definetly the fastest I have ever heard...though I havent tried the cwejman ones.

• Members

I've played with a friend's $400 Cwej stereo ringmod and it's quite nice. The Cwejman eurorack experience is that of good ergonomics and well-executed signal flow, and the new set of modules on the way seems to extend this to very unique and well-designed functions you usually don't see in a modular setup. Most interesting to me is the dual filter... I hope its overdrive characteristic is musically useful. I have no doubt that it will be. The best description of Cwejman's design I've heard passed around is something along the lines of "ARP 2600 crossed with System 100m".

I liked the Cwej modules enough that I've just ordered one of their dual oscillators. It's actually not such a bad deal for what you get.

• Members

Originally posted by meatlog

I liked the Cwej modules enough that I've just ordered one of their dual oscillators. It's actually not such a bad deal for what you get.

yeah that module does seem like an ok deal seeing as your getting two osc and a ring mod ( i think)

you would probably pay the same for those 3 modules anywhere else and these are high quality for sure.

Archived