Russian Polyvox Polivoks synths

kvmoore

• Members

I've been seeing quite a few of these on ebay for a while:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Polyvox-Polivoks-RARE-USSR-Russian-Analog-Poly-Synth_W0QQitemZ120048393939QQihZ002QQcategoryZ38071QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

However, I've noticed no one ever bids on them. Is there something bad about these synths or are people in the US not buying them simply bacause of overseas shipping costs. Shipping would definitely be my reason for not buying one. However, I'm just curious as to whether these synths are any good or whether they're just overpriced. Me personally, I'd rather have a Sequential Pro One, Korg Mono/Poly or something similar for that price. That's just my opinion.

• Members

I have no first-hand experience but allegedly the Polyvoks is the best one.

Even so, I wouldn't really buy into the hype. How many times do all-star producers and top acts use the Russian synths? I am sure if they are THAT good (better than moog, prophet etc) we'd have heard by now.

Plus, they apparently suffer from vodka-induced corrosion.

• Members

I've had a few Russian synths over the years (Polyvoks, Aelita, Altair). The Aelita and Altair suffered from extensive shipping damage and I never got the Altair completely functional. The Polyvoks is definitely a cool synth.

pros - oscillators sound great on their own and stay in tune/track well. The filter is completely unlike anything else you've heard. The envelopes have an autorepeat mode that trigger w/o a keypress. In addition, you can use the A,D,S controls in that mode to shape the repeats. Has external audio inputs. Built real well inside and out - definitely a synth you can take on the road and will stand up to abuse. Schematics available on line.

cons - LFO range is not as wide as some other synths (may be easy to modify). Stock unit does not have a cv/gate interface. Front panel is in Cyrillic (although the layout conforms to standard synth design so it's pretty easy to learn). Parts are Russian and there may not be a western equivalent. 220v only with a slightly funky power cord connector. I/O is on the old European DIN connector standard and you'll have to wire up DIN to 1/4" connectors.

neutrals - the only synth I know of that uses magnets and reed switches for the keyboard. (no j wires or carbon plungers to clean/go bad, but unique design). Common problem after shipping - note is stuck on. Cause - a magnet came unglued from under a key and is sitting on a reed switch.

There is supposedly a cv/gate mod (schems available at the same site as the service docs), but I only know of 1 Polyvoks with a working cv/gate mod and it didn't exactly follow the published docs.

Of all the Russian synths I had, I sold the rest and kept the Polyvoks. Is it worth a 'vintage rare' price? No. Is it a different tone color and external signal processor that some might find useful? Definitely.

Tom

• Members

Thanks everyone for your input on these synths. Very good info. I can now understand the headaches involved in possible shipping damage, power supply compatibility issues, and incompatibiliy in terms of setup intergration (DIN connectors). Oh well, at least they sound good.

• 8 years later...

Archived