Yamaha CS80 still very expensive

vwizz

• Members

A CS-80 supposedly in perfect condition is gone yesterday on e-bay for more than 7500 euros:(almost 10000$)

http://cgi.ebay.de/YAMAHA-CS80-CS-80-SYNTHESIZER-100-PERFECT-RARE_W0QQitemZ250080189738QQihZ015QQcategoryZ38091QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

That's the price of a car, not bad....

I think for that price I would rather get a brand new Rhodes mark VII and a Sunsyn/Omega 8/Code... Or so many things :)

It's probably a great machine, but OK, considering the risks of failure and the possible maintenance costs, I think that' s a bit exagerated nowadays..

V

• Members

A CS-80 supposedly in perfect condition is gone yesterday on e-bay for more than 7500 euros:(almost 10000$)

http://cgi.ebay.de/YAMAHA-CS80-CS-80-SYNTHESIZER-100-PERFECT-RARE_W0QQitemZ250080189738QQihZ015QQcategoryZ38091QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

That's the price of a car, not bad....

I think for that price I would rather get a brand new Rhodes mark VII and a Sunsyn/Omega 8/Code... Or so many things
:)

It's probably a great machine, but OK, considering the risks of failure and the possible maintenance costs, I think that' s a bit exagerated nowadays..

V

Still cheaper than it was in 1978 :-)

• Members

Unless you're a collector there's no reason whatsoever to own one :) If you intend to play (or move!) the damn thing there are so many better alternatives for an awful lot less money.

Rose-tinted spectacles aside, there's no aspect of the sound that can't be recreated with modern technology for a fraction of the cost. Don't get me wrong, I'd LOVE to have a go at playing one, and if I was rich with a huge house and bionic arms, hernia-proof giblets and saintly patience, I can't honestly say I wouldn't buy one... :p

• Members

The sound is only part of the point. The user interface - nice paddle switches, superb ribbon controller, wonderful weighted action, and yes, poly aftertouch, make it the synth least likely to be duplicated by anything else.

Click here and be schooled:

http://www.hotrodmotm.com/sounds/vangelis2.mpeg

http://www.hotrodmotm.com/sounds/vangelis3.mpeg

• Members

If it is in perfect shape, 7500 Euros is well worth it. Imagine what else do you need or how many times in your life can you experience such a synth? You can live with a second hand car instead of a zero mileage one for a few years, but that mighty CS80 will move further from you in the time axis, sniff sniff :cry: Well at least my honest thoughts...

• Members

Pedestrian? I have the worst chops on this board and I thought a CS80 sounded huge in person. The CS oscillators [the whole series as far as I have played] have a great sound but their filters are on the weak side. I didn't play the CS80 long enough to review the filters, but its not a pedestrian synth by any means.

• Members

Unless you're a collector there's no reason whatsoever to own one
If you intend to play (or move!) the damn thing there are so many better alternatives for an awful lot less money.

Rose-tinted spectacles aside, there's no aspect of the sound that can't be recreated with modern technology for a fraction of the cost. Don't get me wrong, I'd LOVE to have a go at playing one, and if I was rich with a huge house and bionic arms, hernia-proof giblets and saintly patience, I can't honestly say I wouldn't buy one...
:p

I say the same.

• Members

Well, I owned one when they first were produced (paid $6600 for it) and having owned close to a dozen over the years, I have to stick to my comment. I do realize that I may have a somewhat distorted viewpoint considering the volume and diversity of instruments that I have owned.

Again, my belief is that the CS-80's magic lies in the physical control of the sound source, not the sound source itself. I loved the ability to add varying amounts of vibrato to individual notes in a chord.

The T8 was a nice attempt at pursuing this idea, but was implemented poorly and the software envelopes unfortunately were too slow.

Wes Taggart

Analogics

http://www.analogics.org

• Members

well , for one i think its resonant LP and HP filters in series, times two voices, are simply fabulous. talking about "better" is pointless since not other machine (other than CS50/60 brethren from the same series) sound like this. so if one wants this unique sound, no other machine will do - not chroma, not 8-voice, not memorymoog or whatever.

in my book, this is one of most organic, lively and musical instruments ever made. not all should be judged with comparison to american moog/oberheim ideal. this beast sounds different, and thats a good thing too. the expressivenes via poly aftertouch n velocity is only a fantastic plus to already gorgeous sound.

if someone is aware of another board that can sound like this, pls let me know, i want it:

http://www.rlmusic.co.uk/mals_site/mp3s/cs80_700.mp3

i think, if u can live without polyaftertouch, CS-60 is a good substitute. its identical sound, cept you get one voice , instead of two voice arhitecture. everything else is identical - reso hp and lp, 2 envs, mod env, ring mod etc etc..

• Members

well , for one i think its resonant LP and HP filters in series, times two voices, are simply fabulous. talking about "better" is pointless since not other machine (other than CS50/60 brethren from the same series) sound like this. so if one wants
this
unique sound, no other machine will do - not chroma, not 8-voice, not memorymoog or whatever.

in my book, this is one of most organic, lively and musical instruments ever made. not all should be judged with comparison to american moog/oberheim ideal. this beast sounds different, and thats a good thing too. the expressivenes via poly aftertouch n velocity is only a fantastic plus to already gorgeous sound.

if someone is aware of another board that can sound like this, pls let me know, i want it:

http://www.rlmusic.co.uk/mals_site/mp3s/cs80_700.mp3

i think, if u can live without polyaftertouch, CS-60 is a good substitute. its identical sound, cept you get one voice , instead of two voice arhitecture. everything else is identical - reso hp and lp, 2 envs, mod env, ring mod etc etc..

My exact thoughts. BTW; your avatar looks excellent :love: Looks like a custom work!

• Members

Man Clusterchord, that's a hard act to follow (nice pic!)

Vwizz, here's a CS-60 in Japan starting at 150,000 yen ($1275 @118/$1.) Steadyworks is a synth repair shop and everything they sell has been completely gone through.

http://page2.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/b73405560

Not a CS-80, but hey, $1275 for a clean and freshly serviced CS-60 isn't bad at all. (Not sure where this auction will end though.)

• Members

thanks, yeah its my jp8/obxa/trident rig in background.

ah yes, on topic: i'd sure as hell like to have her rather than CS-80..
:freak::D

ambrosio.jpg

Me too... me too !!!! :D Seriously, it is one of the best pictures of expressing women and synths closeness. I would never let her go from my studio if I were single. :(

• Members

Unless you're a collector there's no reason whatsoever to own one
If you intend to play (or move!) the damn thing there are so many better alternatives for an awful lot less money.

Rose-tinted spectacles aside, there's no aspect of the sound that can't be recreated with modern technology for a fraction of the cost. Don't get me wrong, I'd LOVE to have a go at playing one, and if I was rich with a huge house and bionic arms, hernia-proof giblets and saintly patience, I can't honestly say I wouldn't buy one...
:p

Achieving a convincing CS80-like tone (or something comparable to it).... I'd like to weigh in here in agreement of what Jez said. It is possible using modern technology mixed with some cheaper kit.

I never played the real thing, and I am sure doing so would be an enviable experience, but I do get seriously good Vangelis-like sounds (Blade Runner-like and Chariots-like brass/strings) using some layering of CS80v with a DCO or hybrid polysynth. Basically, CS80v gets the essential vibe of the original synth, but sounds a bit too clean/clinical/digital, and missing a good deal of that analog bottom-end grunt. I add cruft and analog grit by blending that with an inexpensive DCO or hybrid polysynth with analog filters (in my case, JX10 or DSS1).... this helps provide some of the bottom-end beef that is missing in softsynths, and the sounds blend nicely too.

Of course there is nothing like that real CS80 control panel, but you have to make some compromises here if you can't afford one. I do have numerous control surfaces (both knobby and slider), keyboards with aftertouch (well, mono AT, yes), and an X/Y pad on my Z1 that can take the place of the ribbon controller (somewhat), and get some pretty serious realtime control of CS80v with them.

Archived