Analogue Solutions Red Square v2

• Members

I am considering purchasing one of these.

Does anyone have any experiencve with this piece?

How well do you think it will work with Moogers?

How does it sound?

What is the build quality like?

Is there anything in the price rance that come close to it?

Thanks

:)

• Members

Modular right now... No. I saw someone here in the classifieds selling a SemTex XL for $1400. Pretty good deal. The Future Retro XS is coming probably this summer, which might compete with the RS. I personally think, while the RS is limited (it's semi-modular), it has a fun rubbery analog sound to it. Build quality seems pretty good.

• Members

Bluesynths is a good site, not sure why they require registration but oh well.

Looks like an interesting synth, although they were a little hard on some aspects of it as well. Was it a V2 they reviewed though?

• Members

I picked up a V1 Red Square for a good price because I couldn't wait for the XS anymore. I got it to use with a Sherman Filterbank. Just got it, haven't delved too much into it yet, but I'll get back to you. The construction quality isn't terrible, but it leaves much to be desired...The top panel actually bows in if you apply the least bit pressure to it. The push-pull knobs don't encourage me either. Not Behringer/Maudio construction, but probably at the lower echelon of modular construction (the tanks cost the $ though). The bluesynth review is good, if a bit harsh. Lots of good mp3s though.

ATM there's nothing in the same price range that really comes close as far as functionality unless you luck out (SEMtex XL for 1400?! Damn, I would've held out if I ever thought that would've happened). Who knows when the Future Retro XS will even come out, and at what price? There's the PAiA stuff, but you have to build that your own. PAiA 9700s is probably the empty-pockets modular king.

• Members

PAiA 9700s is probably the empty-pockets modular king.

dats truth. got mine for 305 dollars, us.

issue is though - the power supply that comes with the kits ISNT COMPATIBLE with other frac-rack stuff! i didn't realize this until i was on the phone with STG and he prompted me to check the PS - and lo and behold, it's like +/- 12 or something weird like that.

keep that in mind when you get one - there's compatible PSs you can buy from paia, but you have to specify. Pissed me off.

• Members

How do you like the sound of the 9700, I'm thinking of getting a one to build. Dont suppose got any demos, there's not many on the web?

Lemme see if I can repost some 9700 stuff I recorded when I had one. I pulled them down to make room for other stuff.

It's a good litle machine, construction is not very robust (OK for studio, not too great for gigs) you get an awful lot for the price. The auto-cycling EGs are a very cool feature and two multimode filters in a synth that cheap is insane.

Biggest negative is there is no gain limiting on the filters so when you drive them into extreme resonance they break into ugly distortion. You can hear it on this demo. There is a workable fix for this that can be found at the Yahoo PAIA group.

• Members

the power supply that comes with the kits ISNT COMPATIBLE with other frac-rack stuff! i didn't realize this until i was on the phone with STG and he prompted me to check the PS - and lo and behold, it's like +/- 12 or something weird like that.

Most modular systems use hefty regulated supplies, PAIA puts inexpensive regulators on each module and uses a small unregulated supply that comes with the base system doesn't pump out enough current to power more than one rack of modules. You can use a regulated supply with PAIA modules but you have to disconnect the onboard regulators (shown in the instruction manuals).

BTW when discussing "compatibility" with other Frac-rack, keep in mind PAIA invented Frac. If Blacet hadn't chosen to adopt it as well I doubt any of the other Frac suppliers would have bothered with it.

• Members

The man delivered :thu:

It has a nice vintage tone to my ear. A lot of modern analogues seem very bright in the upper mid register, kinda puts me off them a bit. Not so with that.

That filter sounds nice too. Thanks for posting

Yummy

• Members

Well, I have the v1. I'm not sure of al; the differences between the two. I don't think the 2 has pwm, and has internal power switching.

I'd say...I'm not so sure I would've paid full price for it, the PWM is strange, only seems to really kick in at 50%, as well as the Resonance seems to go from almost nothing, to PAiA screaming, break up resonance with one slight twitch of knob movement. Maybe there's some trimpots that could be adjusted. Filter is nice....I guess it's designed after Moog, but it sounds more ARPish or EML. Wish it had an attenuator section...could've lost one of the multiple sections for an attenuator. The ADSR isn't the snappiest, but it's pretty good. Noise and Sub section is a little disappointing. VCOs are decent...don't expect Blacet sound quality though. Overall, it's a nice sounding, phasey and organic analog synth that is better as an augmentation to other gear than a standalone piece. The little panel gets crowded real fast the more patching you do. The Future Retro XS seems more in line with what i'm wanting, so unless the RS can totally wow me before then, it may have to make way for the XS. The Red Square serves it's purpose, in that it really makes me want a proper modular system, that's for sure. I'd like to hear it with some wonderful Blacet VCOs. In conjuction with some Moogerfoogers, it would shine. I use mine with a Sherman FB2 and get some nice damage. It's a total audio exploration board...have a DAW, sampler going, because you WILL get some great samples out of it.

As far as alternatives...not too many. You could put together a very basic modular from one of the modular companies like Doepfer, Blacet. There's PAiA too, but you have to build it or buy a used one that hopefully was put together by somebody with decent skills. While the RS isn't the best sounding modular or even analog that I've used, it offers more flexibility than just about anything in the price range atm.

• Members

have you seen this?

http://synthesizers.com/rack8.html

and this: http://synthesizers.com/system-entry1.html

the entry system in particular is probably the best thing in the market to set someone up to get into modular synthesis.

the Red Square is very nice for someone who wants exactly what that thing does. i wrestled with the idea of buying one for a long time. however, in the end i realised that i should probably have actual modules.

• Members

The man delivered
:thu:

It has a nice vintage tone to my ear. A lot of modern analogues seem very bright in the upper mid register, kinda puts me off them a bit. Not so with that.

That filter sounds nice too. Thanks for posting

Yummy

forgot about this, but shortly after i got it i did a bit with the paia as well -

http://www.supload.com/listen?s=Sh0t6I5-Du4

drums obv aren't paia, but they're processed by the paia. vocals aren't either. apologies for the poor quality, i did this in a couple takes straight to reel to reel ... i sort of improv-ed the vocals. apparently this is what goes through my mind :confused:

• Members

have you seen this?

and this:

the entry system in particular is probably the best thing in the market to set someone up to get into modular synthesis.

Wow, very nice Suit&Tie. Is this Rack8 a new system, first I've heard of this. Is your stuff dotcom compatible?

• Members

As requested: two 9700 recordings, not musical just shows the raw sound quality.

The good old
with filter manipulations...first thing I recorded after I got it.

Example of
...both of the VCO and of the filter.

I'm not sure if I heard these before when you posted them. I've heard the filter distortion examples, but haven't heard anyone who owned a Paia do anything. It does have some very nice qualities to its sound. (may have to pick one up just for a fun little portable device after I get my new modular together) Nice!

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I'm not sure if I heard these before when you posted them. I've heard the filter distortion examples, but haven't heard anyone who owned a Paia do anything. It does have some very nice qualities to its sound. (may have to pick one up just for a fun little portable device after I get my new modular together) Nice!

Hello! The distortion examples was actully from my Paia... I've actually used it on all my songs since i built it, mostly for heavy basses. Allthough I have added another filter (Moogstyle) from EFM to it.

You can hear it in these songs:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=106764

In Absinthe and Misled, the Paia plays the bass in the verses. This is with the EFM Moogstyle filter.

In Train Away it's also playing the bass in verses (both the short bass stabs and the sweepy bass) but here with the original filter.

I also use the Paia as a MIDI-CV converter for my Pro-One, which works really well I think! :)

/TOmmy

• Members

Hey Unease. I miss when you posted on Darksonus.

Loves your music. Excellent songwriting.

Thanks! :) Well, I haven't been there much since Darksonus was reworked. It seems to be very calm these days but maybe its time to make an effort there again, its always nice to be missed :)

Archived