Madonna - "Like a Prayer" synth bass

• Members

Perhaps "musicianship" is a controversial word in this case ... still, I've always enjoyed her music even if her public personna becomes as increasingly tiresome ...

I'm no help with old gear, though ...

• Members

This is some damn good musicianship.

I agree - the timbres are great and the line itself is very expressive. A favorite of mine to be sure.

Sounds like a Mini + FM synth layer.

cheers,

Ian

• Members

Yes, I'm a huge fan of Like a Prayer album and think it's absolutely magic piece of work - very solid arrangements, performance, mixing and composing (too bad Madonna doesn't involve Patrick Leonard too often nowadays).

As for the bass part on the title song of the album (excluding the simplistic remix from the Immaculate Collection), yes it looks like a real bass playes steps in at 3:00 and then at again at 4:12 (I suppose it was Randy Jackson). The synth sound probably comes from some recent workstation of the time, like the Yamaha SY-77 or the Korg M1.

• Members

It was a Minimoog done by Patrick Leonard. Some of the Toy Matinee stuff has that kind of bassline and timbre.

the album version of that song rocks, there's so much dynamics there. The radio edit version that has the four-on-the-floor drum during the verses was teh sux0r.

• Members

Since no one mentioned it the bass is a nord 3:rolleyes:

Good bass line, I agree. I have the Immaculate Collection and there is good synth work all over it.

Thats pretty impressive considering that board didn't exist in 1989...:thu:

:rolleyes:

• Members

I always liked those heavily quantized early 80s synth pop bass lines too. Human League kind of pioneered this style I think. I don't remember hearing this kind of thing before them... maybe some of you can. One of my favorites in this style was Deniece William's "Let's Hear It For The Boy", where the whole cut minus the Linndrum was done on a Memorymoog. Read an interview that said that at the time anyway.

Archived