Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Madonna - "Like a Prayer" synth bass

This is some damn good musicianship.

Are you serious?
    -----------------Mike PensiniPiano/Keyboard/Producer/Musical Director/Writertwitter.com/mikepensini | facebook.com/mikepensinimusic | youtube.com/groovatious

Comment

Yes, I think it's quite good, especially after the 3 minute mark.

Comment

Perhaps "musicianship" is a controversial word in this case ... still, I've always enjoyed her music even if her public personna becomes as increasingly tiresome ...

I'm no help with old gear, though ...

Comment

I was mostly tuned into teh bassline. IT'S FUNKY

Comment

Sounds like a generic pop bassline to me.

For funky synth basslines i'd check out Parliament/Early Michael Jackson/Jamiroquai - to name just 3.
            -----------------Mike PensiniPiano/Keyboard/Producer/Musical Director/Writertwitter.com/mikepensini | facebook.com/mikepensinimusic | youtube.com/groovatious

Comment

"Vogue"s snare drum and piano parts... that is a nice arrangement.
              www.guslozada.com

Comment

This is some damn good musicianship.

I agree - the timbres are great and the line itself is very expressive. A favorite of mine to be sure.

Sounds like a Mini + FM synth layer.

cheers,
                Ian
                @>~,~~'~

Comment

I think the part near the end of the song was actually played on a bass guitar.

By this guy-

I was thrown off because the whole rest of the song is synth bass and they're kind of blended together.

Comment

its a damn fine synth bass line.

Comment

What about Like a Virgin?
                      I would trade it all for a little bit more.

Comment

Yes, I'm a huge fan of Like a Prayer album and think it's absolutely magic piece of work - very solid arrangements, performance, mixing and composing (too bad Madonna doesn't involve Patrick Leonard too often nowadays).

As for the bass part on the title song of the album (excluding the simplistic remix from the Immaculate Collection), yes it looks like a real bass playes steps in at 30 and then at again at 4:12 (I suppose it was Randy Jackson). The synth sound probably comes from some recent workstation of the time, like the Yamaha SY-77 or the Korg M1.

Comment

id put money on it being a minimoog for that synth bass sound.

Comment

... f*ck... you guys made me look for that song and listen to it. What a good arrangement. Gotta love Madonna's producers work.
                            www.guslozada.com

Comment

Since no one mentioned it the bass is a nord 3

Good bass line, I agree. I have the Immaculate Collection and there is good synth work all over it.

Comment

Working...
                              X