n00b needs advice

• Members

hello. i'm a guitarist that wants to start playing piano. I know lots of theory (I'm in college for music). Does anybody have a link to a website where I can start learning some stuff? Also, what advice do you have? I have a cheap yamaha keyboard from like 1994. I understand that beginners should start on piano but unfortunately, i don't have one. However, wheever i'm at school, i can go into the pracitce rooms to practice on a real piano. I can read music (just not sight read) on both treble and bass clef.

My plan is to start learning some stuff online and when i get some money, i'll go to guitar center and buy a book and a dvd. then, when i get more money, i'll take some lessons.

I want to be a music teacher and i think being able to play the piano would help a lot. i'm also pretty interested.

what i want to be playing most is classical music. i want to learn the dicipline it takes to learn a challenging piece. improvising and jazz stuff can wait (unless you pros think otherwise).

thanks for all your help!:thu:

• Members

Here's a link to a site:

http://www.pianolessonsunlimited.com/navigation/navigation_frameset.html?http://www.playpianotoday.com/blues/3blues2a.html

I've been doing the blues one and it's decent. I've learned some cool stuff.

By the way, I have a Casio keyboard I got in like 1994. I still have it and still play it.

Good luck in your musical studies.

• Members

hi. i know you mentioned that you'd take lessons when you save up some money, but i might say that taking lessons is a good place to start. a beginner piano course might save you some money, too, as might continuing education courses if they're offered at a school in your area. (sometimes schools offer non-degree, non-credit courses for cheaper than the regular.)

unless you're completely broke, it might be a good idea to just get a good beginner piano book, too. or, read the books in the store (or how about a library) at first, and then when you can, buy a book. it doesn't have to be from guitar center either. maybe a campus store or even a good barnes & noble or amazon.

often, those books tell you the basics, give suggestions of how to practice, and then give you a good amount of sheet music. the big benefit is that you can take those with you to school. even practicing scales repeatedly might be good. maybe you could see what books would be required for the course/lesson you'd end up taking and get them early. you could probably even get some suggestions from a teacher.

also, i'd suggest you start soon, since it's summer. just because if you'll be practicing at school, you won't have to compete as much for practice rooms.

maybe you could take a sight reading class at some point, too. i'd figure you'd be able to fit courses like that into your degree, anyway.

anyway, i guess in short i'm saying that i don't really see how going to a site online will help you any more than seeking out a book and lessons as soon as possible. and i'm pretty sure you'll need them eventually with your goals. good luck, though.

Archived