Best Synth for String Orchestra and Choir?

• Members

I'll check them out. But, still need to find some synth that emulate these sounds. Nothing too complicated. Just need to add some strings and choir to a couple of songs.

Korg and Roland have decent choir patches. Yamaha has crappy ones.:rolleyes: Between my lowly Roland JV1010 and X50, there are enough choices to use both female and male as long as they are mixed with other parts. I tend to pick several and layer.

I dont like the strings particularly from any of the big 3 (stock sounds, not expansion). If I had to choose one I would go with Korg. I usually just pull out my violin and overdub.:thu::D

As mentioned, EastWest has great stuff. The choir stuff is quite cool. Since you are looking for a synth, I would go Korg for string/choir stuff.

• Members

I'm not sure of the budget, application, or the need of a hardware synth for choirs and strings on just a couple of songs, but Roland's SR-JV80-13 Vocal expansion board (which although discontinued can be found used for around $100-125 on eBay) has a great assortment of choirs from huge to intimate. Better than anything on any workstation I've tried. Fits in XP synths, XV modules, and the original Fantom (all which have strings already).

• 8 months later...
  • Members

If you get a Roland synth to play the SRV-80 Vocal Expansion board make sure you get one that takes SRX boards, such as the XV5080. Then you'll want to get the SRX04 "Symphonique Strings" which I think is by far the best Rompler string section available.

I am waiting to hear what Kurzweil has come up with for the PC3, I believe there are some new string section samples there.

• Members

Then you'll want to get the SRX04 "Symphonique Strings" which I think is by far the best Rompler string section available.

I had that in my Fantom. I really liked the tremolo, with release, which is one of the best programs of that type, I've heard. Definitely a good board. Karo Philharmonic Strings, along with the OASYS factory sets, are the best I've heard out of a ROMpler:

STRING SECTION

Violins are a bitch to emulate, but I like the sound of those. Still waiting to hear the Kurzweil PC3.

• Members

I had that in my Fantom. I really liked the tremolo, with release, which is one of the best programs of that type, I've heard. Definitely a good board. Karo Philharmonic Strings, along with the OASYS factory sets, are the best I've heard out of a ROMpler:

Violins are a bitch to emulate, but I like the sound of those. Still waiting to hear the Kurzweil PC3.

They are decent, I like the section cello patches better than the solo stuff.

• 8 years later...

Archived