Korg X50 vs Yamaha MM6

mcsdude

• Members

I'm looking at getting a slightly more portable, less complex set of keys to haul around to gigs (our keys needs are very limited and basic) so I don't have to keep hauling and banging up my motif and want to get some input from you on the X50 vs the MM6. I love the ultra portable design of the x50, but like the fact that the yamaha is similar in design to my motif.

I'm a guitar player not a keys player so my knowledge and skills are pretty limited.

Can you offer a brother some input?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well - not all of us can call ourselves god of the keys or son of hu so I probably would not have taken quite as much of a condescending position, but to a degree that is the point.

Did you have any input to actually help the question or was your entire response strictly self serving?

• Members

Soundwise I'd go for the MM6, more usable sounds, less Korgish pads and stuff. But the main point is that the keys of the X50 are pure torture for the senses. God-awful.

Now THAT is more the type of input I was looking for. That you Roald for taking the time to post that instead of just insulting the fact that I was not buying a $3,000 set of keys. :)

• Members

I have both. If I had to pick one I would go for the X50, but both have their strengths and weaknesses. The X50 has killer combis, lots of ambient stuff, nice low strings, drums, choirs etc. The combis are very impressive, you can do a lot of cool stuff in real time.

MM6 is better for Pianos, guitars, El. Pianos, some winds and brass. The mm6 doesnt have as many usable patches, it has a lot of filler. Indeed it has a better keyboard, not that it's stellar but the X50 has a pretty crappy one. It doesnt bother me as I am not a pianist and have other keyboards (and own a real piano).

The X50 of course is a fully functional synth, where the mm6 is a preset machine with only some basic controls. The pianos are from the motif classic and sound quite good, especially if you add a longer release or use a pedal.

• Members

Well - not all of us can call ourselves god of the keys or son of hu so I probably would not have taken quite as much of a condescending position, but to a degree that is the point.

Did you have any input to actually help the question or was your entire response strictly self serving?

you poor baby, I guess I didn't take my sensitivity vitamins today

If you think a bit more, my veiled remark was directed at both units.

In particular, the X50 has a very cheap keyboard. The buttons are not much better. Maybe someone can compare the build quality of the X50 to MM6

• Members

It looks like you'd want more bread-and-butter sounds from the new board, since you want it for gigging. In that case I'd go with the Yammy. Korgs are better for ambient and string sounds.

SonofHu does make a good point: the x50 is cheaply made. I'd worry about long-haul durability with that one.

• Members

Both are pieces of {censored} and for the same money you can buy something much better on the used market. Son of HuHefner's first remarks are spot on and definitely weren't offensive unless you have some sort of bug up your ass. If you're gigging, you don't want to gig with a toy-ish piece of crap that could break down on you at any time and will suck away any inspiration you may have.

Since you say you're not a keyboard player then perhaps take a lesson from those of us who are and have lugged all manner of keyboards to gigs and have encountered all sorts of situations that have led to our knowledge of our craft - which is to say avoid bringing cheap crap to gigs at all costs. If you're an experienced gigging musician you should know this anyway. You're better off spending the money on case for your Motif than you are buying a turd synth.

• Members

If you like the pianos in your Motif (whichever one you have) you will be a lot happier with them in the MM6 than in the X50. And I personally think the keyboard on the X50 is practically unplayable, unless you play only in the keys of C major and A minor and seldom use the blacks. The keyboard on the MM6 may be just a PSR, but at least it is usable in all keys.

The X50 has a broader sound palette though. But ultimately for banging around on gigs (your term) I'd put my money on the Yamaha holding up longer... but who knows really because they haven't been around very long.

• Members

Maybe someone can compare the build quality of the X50 to MM6

I personally love the build quality, since it enables me to score good-sounding keyboards for dirt cheap.:D:D:thu:

I would say they are similiar. They are both plastic and light. When I got the mm6, I thought they gave me a prop without the insides in it.:D Mine dont leave the studio, so I have no idea if they would stand up to the hazards of gigging. I would worry about the power supply on the X50 and get a backup, its real cheap. The X50 also gets pretty warm back there, the mm6 does not.

To call either "pieces of {censored}" is just ridiculous. If you actually LISTEN to them, they are both very nice-sounding keyboards. Yes, they are cheap plastic, but not all of us gig on keyboards. I have had 0 problems.

• Members

NEWSFLASH:
THE GUY IS ASKING ABOUT A KEYBOARD FOR GIGGING.

Thanks for the help, but I can read. Can you?:

Mine dont leave the studio, so I have no idea if they would stand up to the hazards of gigging. I would worry about the power supply on the X50 and get a backup, its real cheap. The X50 also gets pretty warm back there, the mm6 does not.

Where was I not clear??:confused::D:D

I have no idea what kind of gigs he does. Maybe he is playing in a biker bar or maybe in the opera pit, how would I know?? Yeah, I think we have all pretty much agreed that both keyboards are made out of plastic and very lightweight. My old violin weighed less than a pound and was made out of very thin wood. It held up for gigs pretty well considering it was built in 1685.:D

• Members

Blimey, this one got a bit out of hand didn't it? I came here asking a similar question a few months ago and got some very useful and balanced responses.

The context of the types of gig in question are entirely relevant as well - a lot of people here have focussed on obtaining something durable, well-made and that won't break down on you but the other factor to take into consideration is that there are certain gigging situations whereby you don't want to be taking

Guest Anonymous

Son of HuHefner's first remarks are spot on and definitely weren't offensive unless you have some sort of bug up your ass.

There's something about this dude that bugs me. Maybe it's his attitude or maybe it's the look at me I have a bunch of cool signature guitars and can't think for myself. Buy some stock guitars and customize them yourself brother. If you researched keyboards a little like you have guitars you could probably figure out what you need on your own.

:idea:

:wave:

• Members

If you researched keyboards a little like you have guitars you could probably figure out what you need on your own.

well, pretty much everybody and ESPECIALLY all those sound designers around here know what to get themselves, yet they discuss for ages on what synth they should get.

If you compare your average guitar magazine to your average keys magazine you actually see articles covering people and technique in there...imagine that for this forum! I think this is a valid question, much more valid than 90% of the threads here so please just help the guy or stay away from the thread.

+1 on the "buy a case for your Motif" point. And if you have a "beer throwing potential-gig" drop a fake leather cover over your keys during breaks. But that'll be necessary for tube amps too (I've personally seen one do BAOOM after beer exposure)

• Members

+1 on the "buy a case for your Motif" point.

But that doesnt solve his problem, he wants a

slightly more portable, less complex set of keys

As far as less complex, the MM6 is probably the least complex keyboard available EVER. It has categories like "Pianos" and "Strings". Its not a full synth, I had the entire keyboard mastered in an hour.:D

The mm6 is significantly larger than the X50. Its not heavier, it just takes up more room on my stand, its a lot bigger than one might think. As I said, it feels like a prop. The X50 is compact and has handles on the side. My only concern with gigging with it would be the power supply, I would have a backup, it also gets really hot.

• Members

There's something about this dude that bugs me. Maybe it's his attitude or maybe it's the look at me I have a bunch of cool signature guitars and can't think for myself. Buy some stock guitars and customize them yourself brother. If you researched keyboards a little like you have guitars you could probably figure out what you need on your own.

Jeez - a little sensistive there are we? Sounds more like jealousy than a bug but call it what you want. I can think for myself and was just looking for some real world input. I am amazed at the tight asses here who used the opportunity to showcase their arrogance or insecurities. What painful existances you must live.

To the majority of you that took a minute to offer a piece of helpful input I appreciate it.

I spend most of my time here in the guitar threads obviously and yes I do have a gear collection that most admire, yet have made friends on here with collections that make my {censored} look like stocking stuffers. Even still we field threads from people asking about squire strats, low cost japanese knock offs, cheap solid state amps - and never once have I seen someone pounce on them for being too cheap, poor, stupid, whatever to buy gear as expensive as we have. It must take someone who is horrifically insecure in their own skin to feel the need to do that.

• Members

To be fair, however, sir...both the MM6 and the X50 are enjoy reputations as being not-very-well built. Therefore, Mr. Hefner's point is a valid one.

Keyboards are much heavier guitars and, generally, the heavier the keyboard is the better-built it is. The better-built it is, the nicer the sound quality (generally).

If you're looking for a low-weight situation, I'd look at a Motif or Fantom rack and a Midi Controller.

As somebody with considerable resources (which I gather from your lengthy guitar gear list) it is surprising you are looking to these entry-level feature-compromised keyboards as replacements to a Motif.

• Members

To be fair, however, sir...both the MM6 and the X50 are enjoy reputations as being not-very-well built.

I am not sure if thats true. They have reputations of being inexpensively built with plastic, thats not quite the same as being poorly built. Sure, they aint tanks, but I see nothing on them that is wrong. Just cheap.

I would be curious to hear real-world scenarios. Do they actually fall apart?? Ive been dealing with rare string instruments for 35 years, so I know how to be uber-careful when handling musical instruments. The X50 in particular feels solid (for what it is). The mm6 feels like a kid's hollow surfboard.:D

Guest Anonymous

Look who's calling who sensitive troll. I don't have to show my gear list to feel confident about what I bought and I damn sure don't ask anybody what and if I should buy something. I have no problem helping people but your second post was lame.

:wave:

• Members

I am not sure if thats true. They have reputations of being inexpensively built with plastic, thats not quite the same as being poorly built. Sure, they aint tanks, but I see nothing on them that is wrong. Just cheap.

I would be curious to hear real-world scenarios. Do they actually fall apart?? Ive been dealing with rare string instruments for 35 years, so I know how to be uber-careful when handling musical instruments. The X50 in particular feels solid (for what it is). The mm6 feels like a kid's hollow surfboard.
:D

I didn't say poorly-built...I said not well-built.

He wants a gigging keyboard...I would think that as a gigging musician he would know that you don't want something not well-built on tour with you.

• Members

you don't want something not well-built on tour with you.

Hehe - maybe I need to define what I mean by "gigging". We don't tour. We play a dozen different bars and clubs in the area on a somewhat regular basis so it's not like we're getting 15 hours from home and playing to 10,000 person audiences. I probably also should have explained that the extent of our use of keys is the occasional horn sounds from a cake tune or short intro to a Evanescence tune. We're really a guitar rock band that keeps a set of keys off to the side to use for very occasional salt and pepper to a song. Perhaps that would help offer insight as to why my requirements for such a piece of equipment are so modest.

Archived