Fantom to XP, am I nuts?

CameltoeCurtis

• Members

I'm primarily a guitar player who doubles on keys in a 60's/70's cover band. Currently using a Fantom X6 for piano, organ, strings, and brass only. It's definitely overkill for my needs, so I'm considering selling it and getting something a little more practical. I only need a handful of high quality voices with the ability to layer, (in a small package). That's it. No sequencing, sampling, etc. required. Some folks have suggested the XP series. Any thoughts?

• Members

so you might pocket $300 or so after you're all done.

Freeing up cash for other gear is actually another reason I've been tossing this idea around.:) I should come out ahead regardless of what I do because I got such a smoking deal on the Fantom ($500 & interesting story) when it was new.

• Members

How about the Korg X50? Very light weight, quality sounds, $600-700 new...

Ooooooh... I would never even thing of gigging with that board. It's built like a toy. :eek:

I own a Fantom S and I gig with an XP30. Great performance board. Built like a tank. Sounds are a bit compressed, which tends to sit in the mix a bit better. Decent piano, organs, great brass. You could find a used XP30 for $300-$400 and be done with it. The question is... for what you can sell Fantom for.

• Members

The quality of the XP is sort of less than that of the Fantom (earlier engine). If the X6 is overkill, consider slimming down to a Juno-G. You'll miss out on the huge color screen and the lit pads, but hey.

The color screen is nice, but the pads are just another feature wasted on me. Give me the basics with a fairly low replacement cost and I'm happy. I've been gigging with the Fantom for the last two years and feel like I can get by with much less, feature-wise.

• Members

Few things are worse to me than the thought of an equipment downgrade.

I've been using an XP-30 for a number of years and just recently got a fantom XR. The fantom is actually a replacement/upgrade for a JV-1080 which has most the same sounds as the XP-30.

The XP-30/JV-1080 are nice but the fantom is better.

• Members

I think the average on these is around $1200. Don't think I'll have much luck finding a local trader with an XP + cash.

I don't know where you live, but everyone but you wants to trade up, not down. If you are even close to any 'burg of decent size, if you get out what you're trying to do, you'll find your trade with a bit of patience.

I still use my XPs all the time, because they do have sounds and other qualities my Fantom doesn't. But not in the four sounds you mention. They're all stronger in a Fantom X than an XP, and in the case of piano, much much stronger.

• Members

I still use my XPs all the time, because they do have sounds and other qualities my Fantom doesn't. But not in the four sounds you mention. They're all stronger in a Fantom X than an XP, and in the case of piano, much much stronger.

I'm curious as to what those areas are ...

• Members

I'm curious as to what those areas are ...

Pads. Fantasynth C, Voice Oohs 1C, OrgVox A, D50 Heaven, the entire JPStrings waveset, EPiano 3A, B, and C... these are the waveforms of countless pads from the 1990s, and they have no counterparts in the Fantom S/X. Or in anything else.

I love the full, spacey, new-age, non-arpeggiated sounds of 1990s pads, and I've found a use for them in the present. The praise band I'm in loves 'em too. That's why the XP-80 replaced the Fantom S in the service. Plus, the sliders give me much more real-time control over them than the Fantom's knobs (I really hope Roland goes back to sliders next time.)

• Members

Pads. Fantasynth C, Voice Oohs 1C, OrgVox A, D50 Heaven, the entire JPStrings waveset, EPiano 3A, B, and C... these are the waveforms of countless pads from the 1990s, and they have no counterparts in the Fantom S/X. Or in anything else.

I love the full, spacey, new-age, non-arpeggiated sounds of 1990s pads, and I've found a use for them in the present. The praise band I'm in loves 'em too. That's why the XP-80 replaced the Fantom S in the service. Plus, the sliders give me much more real-time control over them than the Fantom's knobs (I really hope Roland goes back to sliders next time.)

I agree and actually I'll go a step further. I think the compressed nature of the JV soundset just lends itself as a better tool in a live band environment. I just prefer the way the XP30 sounds. Not only do my bandmates agree but so do alot of the sound guys I work with. The Fantom is just very bright sounding next to the JV boards and that can be both a blessing and a curse. I play in a live rock band so I prefer my keys to sit well into the mix, and not above it. The Fantom sound so much brighter that I had to do some heavy duty EQ tweaking on many patches. On the XP30 the brass is excellent, strings usable, decent synth, pads, organ... Alas the JV piano is too compressed and could use an improvement. Still there are so many sounds on the XP30... sounds you have to buy AFTER your Fantom purchase, I just think the XP synths are the best bang for the buck!

Add to that the stock Fantom soundset is boring as hell. Maybe it's just me but the stock Fantom SRX soundset really does nothing for me. I bought the Ultimate keys SRX card and sure there are some great patches... but again I was hoping to find those already on the Fantom.

Here's an example where the XP30 shines... Here's a clip of my band playing "Let Me Clear My Throat". I'm using the XP30 Performance patch #24-Big Band (after the Kool & the Gang sample). Granted it's not the best recording but it really shows how well the brass patch fits in with the rest of the mix. The brass on my Fantom was way to bright and I was never able to replicate that throaty sax, brass layer mix. It always sounds like a synth.

Think of a Fantom as an empty vessel waiting for you to stock usable sounds and waveforms at $250 a pop! :eek:The XP30 ships complete. Armed with a Vintage Keys and/or Keys of the 60's and 70's you have a formidable Switchblade Swiss Army knife that's ready to do battle with any Triton, Fantom or Motif..., in my opinion.

I'm not making a case that the XP30 is a better board than the Fantom... I just think the SRX soundset is a bit overrated. ;)

• Members

I dunno... I kinda like my Fantom S better for club work than my XPs.

WG3, if you are having trouble with your Fantom fitting in live, go into Master and really clamp those compressors down. And while you're there adjust your EQ. I've got things set pretty modestly, but you can get a Fantom to sound absolutely slammin' and totally obese with extreme settings. Don't forget to save on your way out.

• Members

I dunno... I kinda like my Fantom S better for club work than my XPs.

WG3, if you are having trouble with your Fantom fitting in live, go into Master and really clamp those compressors down. And while you're there adjust your EQ. I've got things set pretty modestly, but you can get a Fantom to sound absolutely slammin' and totally obese with extreme settings. Don't forget to save on your way out.

MC

I've been comptemplating using my Fantom S again. One thing stops me...

I have some must have sounds that I use for key songs in the JV sound set (Dirty Lead 2, JV Stab, Big Band) I just can't live without. I haven't found any countrpart on the Fantom S. I've read that Roland has the XV soundset for free. I'm wondering if some of those sound are in that soundset. I also have 5-6 patches that I use from the SRJV80-15 Special Effects card. Again for me to add those I assume I have to shell out another $250 for the Platnium card. The stock Fantom sounds just don't come close to some of the classic JV sounds. I have plenty of bread n butter sounds with my Triton... the Fantom has that too. It just falls short in the synth dept.

Do you have any recommendations on Brass Ensemble perfomances that sounds as good as the XP's Big Band patch. I use it for nearly every song we play that needs brass parts.

• Members

Well you gotta go with what works. Yeah... you don't want to throw a bunch of money into something as old as a Fantom S if you've got those same sounds already covered.

To be honest, since I picked up a Yamaha ES7 I've been using my Fantom S less and less. I'll use it for the first time in weeks this weekend. If I'm really doing a lot of lead work, I'll take it because it's so great at that. But they're all custom patches using Roland's remarkable COSM Guitar Amp Sim, which just makes anything I put through it absolutely sing. There's nothing like it in my Yamaha unfortunately. It's got overdrives and amp sims, but they're just not as musical.

If I lived in NYC I'd probably just come over and help you with that brass sound. I bought my S used and I have no computer editor, so I don't have any other way of doing it short of a SM card. If you have one of those and really want me to set it up, pm me and we'll exchange mailing addresses. I'll get you close.

In the meantime, if you want to try your S again and you're still flying without a manual, Master is easy to set up and can make a huge difference in the overall sound. Press Effects, and there's a soft key on the bottom to enter Master, which is a set of compressors and EQ for the whole machine.

Archived