Is Yamaha fading out of the DJ (Dance) Market ?

cowby

• Members

Few years ago, Yamaha released RM1x, RS7000 and AN200 which are very good partner for live DJs and Dance music production. And nothing new since then ...

However, Roland and Korg are keep releasing products for DJs such as Roland : SP404, SP505, MV8800; Korg : KP3, MiniKP, EM1X (electribe stuff) and DJ mixers. Not to mention that both companies have relelased some nice little keyboard (R3, SH-202 etc..). But Yamaha was just too concertrated on tweaking their Motif. When will we see their DJ gears back in the market ?

• Members

With software like Live, Traktor and Reason taking more and more of the "on the fly dj/remixer" market these days, I won't surprised if Yamaha goes in that general direction. Perhaps software and/or the hardware to control it. Allen & Heath is already doing that with the Xone:3D, 2D and 1D. Pioneer and Ecler already have USB and MIDI implementation in some of their mixers.

Just my $0.02

V.

• Members

Being a DJ myself, I feel that it's Pioneers or nothing in terms of CDJs. Nothing else I've used seems to have the response time and pitch resolution that makes Pioneers so easy to work with. In terms of mixers, I don't mind Gemini but I've never used a Yamaha.

Softwarewise, I think the biggest contenders for production are Cubase, Logic and Ableton.

• Members

I think after Yamaha discontiued the RMX1,RS7000 & SU200 to make the DJX11B & DJX11 groove box & toy DJ dance keyboard, they proved they did not give a damm about the DJ market......................but Korg (which i think is owned by Yamaha IMO) has been getting into the pro DJ business by selling 2 to 8 channel DJ mixers with built in kaoss pads, midi & DAW controllers....................Pioneer, Rane & Allen/Heath make great DJ mixers- while Technics SL-1200 MK2 & Pioneer CDJ-1000 MK1 make best vinyl/CD players. cheers:

• Members

Fading???? Faded - its allready happened.

Apart from their rompers and pianos and high end mixers - yamaha have become a very unreliable company that seems to just do stuff on a whim then abandon it.

I wouldnt buy any new DJ or synths they came up with anyway if it had computer integration involved for fear of it becomming an expensive door stop they next time Apple or Microsoft released a new OS.

• Members

I think after Yamaha discontiued the RMX1,RS7000 & SU200 to make the DJX11B & DJX11 groove box & toy DJ dance keyboard, they proved they did not give a damm about the DJ market......................but Korg (which i think is owned by Yamaha IMO) has been getting into the pro DJ business by selling 2 to 8 channel DJ mixers with built in kaoss pads, midi & DAW controllers....................Pioneer, Rane & Allen/Heath make great DJ mixers- while Technics SL-1200 MK2 & Pioneer CDJ-1000 MK1 make best vinyl/CD players. cheers:

Silly rumor. Korg has been free of Yamaha for quite some time.

As for myself, I abandoned Yamaha. Great sounding gear that's ridiculously huge with convoluted operating systems.

T-Extreme + MV-8800 = House Music all night long! Classic, Deep, Progressive, or Electro. :D

• Members

What more can really be done? All ANY major company is doing now is finding ways to repackage samples. Physical modeling seems to have hit a wall, nothing new there for a few years even though most instruments remain un-modeled. Different architectures (Hatrmann Neuron, for example) have not yielded significantly musically viable sound to justify their high prices...

Yamaha seems to be fading out of the synthesizer market, period. No more synthesis innovation for many years now.

The tools to make your music exist TODAY. Use 'em, and stop obsessing over the next new and exciting repackaging of samplers.

• Members

Yamaha's product line has become very conservative and very narrow. At the keyboard end... tons of Motifs, digital pianos, Tyros is as daring as they get, and that's it isn't it? Oh yeah... along with Casio, the king of consumer boards. PSRs weren't enough, now we have YPPs, DGXs, and who knows what else... I can't keep up.

It would totally floor me if they did anything even slightly "out of the box" like Roland's V-Synth or Korg's Radias. Or even something more modest like a SH-201 or R3. That's just not who they are.

• Members

I think Roland is taking the right direction with hardware that integrates with computer. I don't know what happened to Yamaha. How could the company that came out with the very nice RM1x also develop the messed up OS of the Motif?

• Members

Hi: ( RP digital ) Yes it'a MK2 Yam. $200 groove box made in 2000 with scatch pad,sampler,cross fader,etc. & DJ vinyl emulation effects - simular to the '90s Roland DJ-70 & DJ-70 MK2 samplers, but much cheaper built...........................I have a Yamaha '97 DJX aka PSR-D1 keyboard thats like the more pro built Roland JX-305 & is more fun to play......................................... And also have a Roland MC-307 DJ groovebox, with a turntable 10 % pitch/BPM control slider with black/white keys thats also fun to play. cheers:

• Members

It would totally floor me if they did anything even slightly "out of the box" like Roland's V-Synth or Korg's Radias. Or even something more modest like a SH-201 or R3. That's just not who they are.

I guess there's the Tenori-on, that's pretty outside the box but maybe too far removed for most of us (myself included)

I wouldn't mind seeing Yamaha return to the synth market but it's hard to see how they could offer anything much different to what's out there already without being too esoteric and i'm pretty sure they wouldn't go for analogue stuff. I'd love to see a simple-ish performance synth with a powerful engine underneath but how it'd be different I don't know. VL+DX+AN technology? I guess Fusion and Oasys are already out there with it. I don't know how successful the EX5/EX7 were in the first place.

• Members

the hardware synth market seems increasingly difficult nowadays for all the companies, no ? I wonder whether all the big trio could head heavily towards digital pianos + software development in the future , with smaller companies like access, clavia, moog, and dave smith making the only new hardware synths.

• Members

Yamaha's product line has become very conservative and very narrow.

:freak: huh?

Yamaha is the largest manufacturer of musical instruments in the world...how could they have a narrow product line. People need to remember that Yamaha is NOT a synth company...they are a music intrument company that happens to make synths. Roland is a synth comany that also makes some guitar stuff, Korg is a synth company.

Quite frankly I think they make more in the band and orchestral, commercial mixer, piano/disklavier, drum markets than the synth market.

The tenori on is certainly new and innovative as is their new bodibeat device.

• Members

Yamaha banked heavily on the success of mLan, which almost died, but has since made quite a comeback - especially between DAWs and digital or digitally controlled mixers. Yamaha is rumored to be launching a new synth platform soon, likely Winter NAMM. New stuff like DJ pattern generators, samplers, and beat boxes should trickle down from there. Tanori On is certainly proof that they haven't given up.

Can you imagine the potential of an FM based DJ box along the lines of an Electribe? It would be incredibly fast and punchy, something that would certainly appeal to DJs. I doubt that Yamaha would ever develop such a thing, but if they did, it'd kick.

• Members

Can you imagine the potential of an FM based DJ box along the lines of an Electribe? It would be incredibly fast and punchy, something that would certainly appeal to DJs. I doubt that Yamaha would ever develop such a thing, but if they did, it'd kick.

DX200?

• Members

Use 'em, and stop obsessing over the next new and exciting repackaging of samplers.

I wasn't talking about that. Yamaha once took the lead in physical modelling, why couldn't they do that again? There are plenty of exciting developments in synthesis that Yamaha could exploit. All they have to do is look over at what Modartt, Native Instruments, and VirSyn have been doing, just to name three. Or Yamaha could just continue from where they left off with FM, there's plenty for them to do there.

Archived