Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Yamaha fading out of the DJ (Dance) Market ?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Yamaha fading out of the DJ (Dance) Market ?

Few years ago, Yamaha released RM1x, RS7000 and AN200 which are very good partner for live DJs and Dance music production. And nothing new since then ...

However, Roland and Korg are keep releasing products for DJs such as Roland : SP404, SP505, MV8800; Korg : KP3, MiniKP, EM1X (electribe stuff) and DJ mixers. Not to mention that both companies have relelased some nice little keyboard (R3, SH-202 etc..). But Yamaha was just too concertrated on tweaking their Motif. When will we see their DJ gears back in the market ?
    Regards!

Yamaha seems to be fading out of the synthesizer market, period. No more synthesis innovation for many years now. Like E-mu towards the end of their hardware line, Yamaha seems content to release countless versions of their product at all price points.
    "Music is the best"
    --Frank Zappa

For a good time, try http://analogkid.us/yabb/YaBB.pl

Comment

With software like Live, Traktor and Reason taking more and more of the "on the fly dj/remixer" market these days, I won't surprised if Yamaha goes in that general direction. Perhaps software and/or the hardware to control it. Allen & Heath is already doing that with the Xone:3D, 2D and 1D. Pioneer and Ecler already have USB and MIDI implementation in some of their mixers.

Just my $0.02

V.

Comment

I've seen some house DJ's use Motifs in their setups. Is the Motif capable of replacing all the previously mentioned hardware? Never used one so I wouldn't know.

Comment

Being a DJ myself, I feel that it's Pioneers or nothing in terms of CDJs. Nothing else I've used seems to have the response time and pitch resolution that makes Pioneers so easy to work with. In terms of mixers, I don't mind Gemini but I've never used a Yamaha.

Softwarewise, I think the biggest contenders for production are Cubase, Logic and Ableton.

Comment

I think after Yamaha discontiued the RMX1,RS7000 & SU200 to make the DJX11B & DJX11 groove box & toy DJ dance keyboard, they proved they did not give a damm about the DJ market......................but Korg (which i think is owned by Yamaha IMO) has been getting into the pro DJ business by selling 2 to 8 channel DJ mixers with built in kaoss pads, midi & DAW controllers....................Pioneer, Rane & Allen/Heath make great DJ mixers- while Technics SL-1200 MK2 & Pioneer CDJ-1000 MK1 make best vinyl/CD players. cheers:

Comment

I think after Yamaha discontiued the RMX1,RS7000 & SU200 to make the DJX11B & DJX11 groove box & toy DJ dance keyboard...

Do you mean DJX II (two)?
              [HW]: | DP-10 | EZ-250i | Juno-D | M350 | RT-223 | SP-404 | XioSynth 49 |
              [monitors]: | Logitech X-230 |
              [hosts]: | BIAB+RB 2009 | Finale Printmusic! 2008 | JAMMER Pro 6 | MAGIX mm 11 | Samplitude 15 | PT 11 |
              [plugins]: | Bandstand | Cameleon 5K | Discovery DSP | EastWest Vapor | ForteDXi | impOSCar | Rhino 2 | V-Station | VSC3 | z3ta+ |
              [tools]: | 7Canaries | Dexster | GoldWave |
              http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=492212

Comment

Fading???? Faded - its allready happened.

Apart from their rompers and pianos and high end mixers - yamaha have become a very unreliable company that seems to just do stuff on a whim then abandon it.

I wouldnt buy any new DJ or synths they came up with anyway if it had computer integration involved for fear of it becomming an expensive door stop they next time Apple or Microsoft released a new OS.
                Nothing to see here... Move along!

Comment

The dance music and DJ landmarks are the 303, 909 and MPC's. Looks like Yamaha has concentrated on arranger and workstation market, while Roland and Korg are developing new VA's, effect processors and samplers that are needed for dance music.
                  [HW]: | DP-10 | EZ-250i | Juno-D | M350 | RT-223 | SP-404 | XioSynth 49 |
                  [monitors]: | Logitech X-230 |
                  [hosts]: | BIAB+RB 2009 | Finale Printmusic! 2008 | JAMMER Pro 6 | MAGIX mm 11 | Samplitude 15 | PT 11 |
                  [plugins]: | Bandstand | Cameleon 5K | Discovery DSP | EastWest Vapor | ForteDXi | impOSCar | Rhino 2 | V-Station | VSC3 | z3ta+ |
                  [tools]: | 7Canaries | Dexster | GoldWave |
                  http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=492212

Comment

I think after Yamaha discontiued the RMX1,RS7000 & SU200 to make the DJX11B & DJX11 groove box & toy DJ dance keyboard, they proved they did not give a damm about the DJ market......................but Korg (which i think is owned by Yamaha IMO) has been getting into the pro DJ business by selling 2 to 8 channel DJ mixers with built in kaoss pads, midi & DAW controllers....................Pioneer, Rane & Allen/Heath make great DJ mixers- while Technics SL-1200 MK2 & Pioneer CDJ-1000 MK1 make best vinyl/CD players. cheers:

Silly rumor. Korg has been free of Yamaha for quite some time.

As for myself, I abandoned Yamaha. Great sounding gear that's ridiculously huge with convoluted operating systems.

T-Extreme + MV-8800 = House Music all night long! Classic, Deep, Progressive, or Electro.
                    https://soundcloud.com/jersey-blokeDSI Mopho X4Elektron Analog FourAkai MPC 2500StudioLive 16.0.2 Digital MixerAllen & Heath Xone VF-1 Analog Stereo FilterStudio One V2.5 Professional EditionAbleton Live 9 Standard

Comment

I think it would be better to say that Yamaha wasn't competing well against Korg and Roland in the DJ/dance space so they just got out of it.
                      My VCAs go to 11

Comment

What more can really be done? All ANY major company is doing now is finding ways to repackage samples. Physical modeling seems to have hit a wall, nothing new there for a few years even though most instruments remain un-modeled. Different architectures (Hatrmann Neuron, for example) have not yielded significantly musically viable sound to justify their high prices...
                        Yamaha seems to be fading out of the synthesizer market, period. No more synthesis innovation for many years now.

The tools to make your music exist TODAY. Use 'em, and stop obsessing over the next new and exciting repackaging of samplers.

"Your own limitations render you incapable of realizing that not everyone is as limited as yourself."

Comment

Yamaha's product line has become very conservative and very narrow. At the keyboard end... tons of Motifs, digital pianos, Tyros is as daring as they get, and that's it isn't it? Oh yeah... along with Casio, the king of consumer boards. PSRs weren't enough, now we have YPPs, DGXs, and who knows what else... I can't keep up.

It would totally floor me if they did anything even slightly "out of the box" like Roland's V-Synth or Korg's Radias. Or even something more modest like a SH-201 or R3. That's just not who they are.

Comment

I think Roland is taking the right direction with hardware that integrates with computer. I don't know what happened to Yamaha. How could the company that came out with the very nice RM1x also develop the messed up OS of the Motif?
                            My friends have big houses and new cars. I own music equipment.

Comment

Hi: ( RP digital ) Yes it'a MK2 Yam. $200 groove box made in 2000 with scatch pad,sampler,cross fader,etc. & DJ vinyl emulation effects - simular to the '90s Roland DJ-70 & DJ-70 MK2 samplers, but much cheaper built...........................I have a Yamaha '97 DJX aka PSR-D1 keyboard thats like the more pro built Roland JX-305 & is more fun to play......................................... And also have a Roland MC-307 DJ groovebox, with a turntable 10 % pitch/BPM control slider with black/white keys thats also fun to play. cheers:

Comment

Working...
                              X