V-Synth, V-Synth GT and VP550?

k77_99

• Members

Hi -

I'd be grateful for answers to the following questions as I'm considering buying a V-Synth GT:

- The V-Synth Control Surface looks 'more dedicated' to the actual synth engine than the V-Synth GT. Hence - does the V-Synth GT loose some of the functionality of the original V-Synth?

- If you owned a V-Synth and traded for a V-Synth GT - do you miss either the control surface or the sound of the original, or does the GT provide all the same and more.

- I do not know too much about the Roland VariPhrase technology - but written 'blurb' and on-line demos of the VP550 look extremely interesting - especially the claimed ability to convert a solo voice performance into a multivoice or choir-type sound. How does the V-Synth GT compare to the VP500 in general, and in paricular with generating choir-type sounds. In general, is there a VP550 'under the hood' of a V-Synth GT?

Thanks,

Kevin.

• Members

How does the V-Synth GT compare to the VP500 in general, and in paricular with generating choir-type sounds. In general, is there a VP550 'under the hood' of a V-Synth GT?

The VP-550 is a somewhat stripped down version of the VC-2 Vocal Modeler engine. The GT has the full version of the VC-2 engine built in, and also allows you to use that engine within the larger framework of the V-Synth itself (unlike the original V-Synth and XT). VP-550 is nice by itself but VERY overpriced (again, IMHO) and if that is all you want, get a second-hand V-Synth XT and a controller keyboard. You'll spend about the same money and get a whole lot more for it... I've not played directly with the VP-550, but I know from personal experience that the VC-2 in a regular V-Synth/XT/GT can get real big and real nice if you want a choir. I have a Countryman IsoMAX headset mic that works perfectly with it...

The GT is the way to go if you don't already have a V-Synth of some variety and are looking to get in the game with all the trimmings. Some V owners don't see enough of an improvement to warrant the extra $$$. For me, I'm very glad I snagged it. :thu:

Thanks!

bax

• Members

I purchased the GT and love it. There were a few stupid moves by roland, specificaly its inability to load .wav files through any means that doesnt feel like a contrived hack, and its complete lack of key librarian functions (its file system is monolithic and stupid). If those two points bother you, then your better off with the original V.

For myself, I am living with it. I have a feeling that Roland will address these issues in an update. Its really strange that the 'updated' synth doesnt have features that the original V had (sample import and a software librarian). Its definitely got the sound, though. Ive unfortunately had only limited time to work with it seriously though.

• Members

Thanks very much for your very comprehensive replies - you've helped enormously and enthused even more!!

However - there is still one question I'm not clear on - can a V-Synth GT do all that a VP550 can? I realise that they are different beasts, but am trying to see if a V-Synth GT does essentially all that a VP 550 does in vocal performances? From looking at on-line demos and specs - I see that the VP550 is 128 note polyphonic, where as the V-Synth GT is 28 Note polyphonic. Hence I can't see that the V-Synth GT can do the same rich choral performances as the VP550. Also - does the the V-Synth have the same choral processing algorithms/capabilities as the VP550?

Thanks,

Kevin.

Archived