What ever happened to Technics?

Hoopaa

• Members

Did Technics stop selling keyboards or what? Did they go out of business or something? I looked them up the other day and couldn't even find a web site.

My parents bought me a Technics KN750 13 years ago when I was 10. It was a good beginner keyboard, although it cost a ridiculous amount of money. Something like $1500.

The music store at the mall in my home town used to carry Technics keyboards and I remember they were really expensive and flashy looking... and kind of weird for having built-in speakers.

where did they go?

• Members

Did Technics stop selling keyboards or what? Did they go out of business or something? I looked them up the other day and couldn't even find a web site.

My parents bought me a Technics KN750 13 years ago when I was 10. It was a good beginner keyboard, although it cost a ridiculous amount of money. Something like $1500.

The music store at the mall in my home town used to carry Technics keyboards and I remember they were really expensive and flashy looking... and kind of weird for having built-in speakers.

where did they go?

Unfortunately, the big cheeses in Matsu{censored}a (the parent company) decided that, due to the downturn in the global musical instrument market and forecasts that predicted a continuation of this trend, they would pull the plug on EMID (the Electronic Musical Instrument Division).

This was a real shame, as in the home keyboard and digital piano market, they were up there with the best of them, and enjoyed several periods when their product was the best you could get in that particular field. Certainly, their approach to the user interface was streets ahead of what the 'big 3' have spewed out in that regard.

Rumour has it that their sample sets have been bought by some manufacturer or other (Chinese, I think) so it could be that we see a kind of reincarnation sometime soon.

• Members

I remember looking at new synths in 1993, and the cheapest thing on the sales floor was a Yamaha PSS at $600. The pro stuff was over a grand. The cost of new synths was fairly high until 1998 or so - when RAM became significantly cheaper and manufacturing was shifted from Japan to China.

Archived