Anyone else out there still using Zip drives?

EerieDreamZ

• Members

I'm using a combination of SCSI Iomega Zip drives, with an external CDrom drive to load specialized soud banks into my Kurz.

The reason I ask is that I am about to come into a bunch of new & used Zip100 drives for free.

I Know they are considered dinosaurs, but if you are interested, pay the shipping and I'll send you one.

• Members

The last time I used one was about two or three years ago at college when I was taking a microsoft office class (easy four credits), and didn't want hand in my projects and let the teacher possibly lose my (then very expensive) 1gig usb flash card.

We used 'em ten years ago when one disk would hold half as much as our 486's 200mb hard drive.

• Members

I'm using a combination of SCSI Iomega Zip drives, with an external CDrom drive to load specialized soud banks into my Kurz.

The reason I ask is that I am about to come into a bunch of new & used Zip100 drives for free.

I Know they are considered dinosaurs, but if you are interested, pay the shipping and I'll send you one.

Yick. Too many fragile and slow moving parts. Get a SCSI CF reader.

B>

• Members

a kind offer, thank you

I have two Omega Zip 100 external USB drives. Work like a charm

• Members

basically because of cost, and the fact I have a sampler with one internally (a Yamaha A5000). I have a usb zip 250 that I use for transfering samples to/from the A5000.

I would consider getting a SCSI CF card reader, but the main problem there is cost. When the zip dies, Ill consider it.

I also have two jaz drives and an Orb drive. I bet you havnt even heard of an orb drive. now THAT was crap.

• Members

i use an external iomega zip100 for backing up my Kurzweil K2600xs! I also have a SCSI card on my PC, so I can edit samples and transfer them. Yes it's slow, and sometimes not very dependable. I've had discs fail on me. I am desperate in finding another solution.

what are these SCSI CF readers? provide a link please.

thanks

alex

• Members

basically because of cost, and the fact I have a sampler with one internally (a Yamaha A5000). I have a usb zip 250 that I use for transfering samples to/from the A5000.

I would consider getting a SCSI CF card reader, but the main problem there is cost. When the zip dies, Ill consider it.

I'd suggest you start looking now, they're really rare, but don't cost much when they come up on ebay. I think I paid $30 for one in an enclosure with a universal power supply.

B>

• Members

Yes!! I use one for my S-760 sampler, and mine died! You have spares? Oooooohhh, I think a PM will be coming your way soon.

Not a problem, let me know ;)

My workplace is clearing out their storage room and I was given 20 zip 100s with power, scsi cables, software, and brand new zip cartridges.

I've had my first zip 100 for 7 years and have never had it or any floppies fail (knock on wood). I also have a Zip 250, and 6 Jazz drives (1 & 2 gig floppies), and I have never heard of the Orb drive lol.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

Tony Scharf, thank you for the recommendation of our company. Zip drives are great while they work but they are all so old that their age seems to be catching up with them. Nothing worse than losing a bunch of work due to a corrupted disk. We quit selling them a few years ago because of that same problem - just too old and unreliable.

SCSI Media Card drives (card reader/writers) are a great way to go, no doubt. We offer a nice single-slot model called the MCDISK that works great with almost all samplers and it is pretty inexpensive. And CF cards are getting so cheap, they really compare with zip disks when purchased in quantity.

Anyhow, if you want to get free of the zip drive beast, please have a look at the MCDISK. :)

• Members

I have a SCSI Zip I bought right when they came out. Still works, never had a problem with it. I now use it with my Roland S-760. Not a lot, but when I bought my (used) S-760, it came with a *lot* of Zips (and CDs, and SyQuests(!) and magneto-opticals).

Now the Jaz? What a POS! :mad:

I do remember the Orb. Never used it.

cheers,

Ian

• Members

I NEVER had the click of death, and I've owned a Zip100, a Zip250 and an internal Zip100 for various devices (sampler or computer).

That being said, the last time I used a zip drive was right before I replaced an internal zip on my Akai MPC2000XL with a card reader -- I just couldn't stand that high-pitched whine the zip drive made. The card reader is amazing - makes no sound whatsover.

I used to connect an external zip to the MPC, but since I was using it as part of my live rig at the time, it was just another piece of gear and two cables to haul and connect.

I do have a Zip250 external SCSI sitting in storage, as I have a couple disks full of Ensoniq ASR-10 sounds. If I have some extra cash one day I'll get an ASR-10 rack just to play my old sounds again.

• Members

SCSI Media Card drives (card reader/writers) are a great way to go, no doubt. We offer a nice single-slot model called the MCDISK that works great with almost all samplers and it is pretty inexpensive. And CF cards are getting so cheap, they really compare with zip disks when purchased in quantity.

Whoa! That looks very promising. I might go with it for my ASR-10 and E-Max.

Will probably contact you guys for some compatibility questions. If you guys aren't too busy. :lol:

Thanks!

EDIT: Doh! Just found this old post and still didn't contacted them. Anyway decided to bring back my Emax into action and will definitely go with SCSI For Samplers.

Archived