Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone else out there still using Zip drives?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone else out there still using Zip drives?

I'm using a combination of SCSI Iomega Zip drives, with an external CDrom drive to load specialized soud banks into my Kurz.

The reason I ask is that I am about to come into a bunch of new & used Zip100 drives for free.

I Know they are considered dinosaurs, but if you are interested, pay the shipping and I'll send you one.

The last time I used one was about two or three years ago at college when I was taking a microsoft office class (easy four credits), and didn't want hand in my projects and let the teacher possibly lose my (then very expensive) 1gig usb flash card.

We used 'em ten years ago when one disk would hold half as much as our 486's 200mb hard drive.
    Age of Shadows Metal with keyboards and a singer who actually sings.

Comment

Guilty, because some old material I have is on there and I'd like to still use some of the stuff I have on there.
      ____
      ______

"It’s got to reflect a personality, rather than a quantized performance. Despite the technological revolution that’s been going on over the past few years, it’s not like we’re sitting around saying, ‘Wow... much better records are being made.’” - Atticus Ross

Pumps from my Heart {+}{}{+}{} Filtered through my Mind ~-~->

But yet I need more Cowbell

if you never read my signature, you'll never know how I sign my name

Comment

I'm using a combination of SCSI Iomega Zip drives, with an external CDrom drive to load specialized soud banks into my Kurz.

The reason I ask is that I am about to come into a bunch of new & used Zip100 drives for free.

I Know they are considered dinosaurs, but if you are interested, pay the shipping and I'll send you one.

Yick. Too many fragile and slow moving parts. Get a SCSI CF reader.

B>
        Nihil Illegitimi Carborvndvm

Comment

I have an external USB 100MB Zip drive laying around somewhere . The most beautiful external drive. And I loved the sounds it makes as well.
          Walking the Labyrinth of Imagination(Ambient Music)

www.soundclick.com/kilon

Comment

The most beautiful external drive. And I loved the sounds it makes as well...

...except the click of deth!!!

Comment

a kind offer, thank you

I have two Omega Zip 100 external USB drives. Work like a charm
              I live a life of fearless self invention

If you want to see God laugh, don't make any plans

Good is the Enemy of Great

Comment

basically because of cost, and the fact I have a sampler with one internally (a Yamaha A5000). I have a usb zip 250 that I use for transfering samples to/from the A5000.

I would consider getting a SCSI CF card reader, but the main problem there is cost. When the zip dies, Ill consider it.

I also have two jaz drives and an Orb drive. I bet you havnt even heard of an orb drive. now THAT was crap.

Comment

USB Zip drives? I do need one.....got a stack of old zippies around the studio, gathering dust.

Comment

i use an external iomega zip100 for backing up my Kurzweil K2600xs! I also have a SCSI card on my PC, so I can edit samples and transfer them. Yes it's slow, and sometimes not very dependable. I've had discs fail on me. I am desperate in finding another solution.

what are these SCSI CF readers? provide a link please.

thanks
                    alex

Comment

what are these SCSI CF readers? provide a link please.

thanks
                      alex

http://www.scsiforsamplers.com/storage.asp

Comment

USB Zip drives? I do need one.....got a stack of old zippies around the studio, gathering dust.

ebay
                        I live a life of fearless self invention

If you want to see God laugh, don't make any plans

Good is the Enemy of Great

Comment

basically because of cost, and the fact I have a sampler with one internally (a Yamaha A5000). I have a usb zip 250 that I use for transfering samples to/from the A5000.

I would consider getting a SCSI CF card reader, but the main problem there is cost. When the zip dies, Ill consider it.

I'd suggest you start looking now, they're really rare, but don't cost much when they come up on ebay. I think I paid $30 for one in an enclosure with a universal power supply.

B>
                          Nihil Illegitimi Carborvndvm

Comment

Yes!! I use one for my S-760 sampler, and mine died! You have spares? Oooooohhh, I think a PM will be coming your way soon.
                            Hurrr. Derp, derp, derp.

Comment

Yes!! I use one for my S-760 sampler, and mine died! You have spares? Oooooohhh, I think a PM will be coming your way soon.

Not a problem, let me know

My workplace is clearing out their storage room and I was given 20 zip 100s with power, scsi cables, software, and brand new zip cartridges.

I've had my first zip 100 for 7 years and have never had it or any floppies fail (knock on wood). I also have a Zip 250, and 6 Jazz drives (1 & 2 gig floppies), and I have never heard of the Orb drive lol.

Comment

Working...
                              X