Dave Smith MEK + PER vs. PEK

devolition

• Members

I have an MEK that I'm absolutely in love with, and I've been thinking about getting a PER to up the polyphony. Other than the obviously larger keyboard of the PEK, is there anything else that would make the PEK better? I'm thinking 5 voices instead of 4 and requiring less space is better for me, but I wouldn't want to miss out on some super cool PEK-only functionality.

• Members

I did look at the PER manual online, and I believe it's designed so that the MEK outputs can run into it and mix internally.

Which PEK-only functionality?

I don't know that there is one. I just don't want to overlook it if there is one. ;)

• Members

I remember hearing about some bug where there is like a 3 or 6db difference between the MEK and PER outs
:confused:

docT?

Imho the difference is only between Desktop Evolver and the other synths.

Which PEK-only functionality?

The only one is that you can't edit Combos from the MEK user interface, and combo editing is a little tedious on the PER UI.

• Members

the PER has a special buss input so you wont need extra inputs on your mixer. you just plug one into the other and your good.

the only thing you get from the PEK over the MEK+PER is the expanded control surface. you get closer to a one knob per function idea.

Ive had my PEK for a long time now, and I love it to death. The spread out panel is one of the things I love about it.

• Members

Would be nice if it worked polyphonically so the release of each note didn't get cut off, that would improve a lot of delicate arp sounds. I'd rather not bother DSI about it, they've got more important things to do, but if there's anyone here with a MEK and PER that wants to try it out I'd be keen to hear the results.

• Members

Would be nice if it worked polyphonically so the release of each note didn't get cut off, that would improve a lot of delicate arp sounds. I'd rather not bother DSI about it, they've got more important things to do, but if there's anyone here with a MEK and PER that wants to try it out I'd be keen to hear the results.

:confused:

• Members

IIRC, the programs in the MEK that were ported over from the PEK (which is, I believe, most of them) have their original key modes intact...so if you dump the MEK bank into the PER, all the programs that are supposed to be poly or unison will be. :thu:

Imho the difference is only between Desktop Evolver and the other synths

Are you sure?

I'm under the impression that the MEK also has the slightly louder thing going on that the Evo has. I think it has to do with maximizing signal to noise ratio - when you sum four voices, it's louder than just one voice...so the four voice box needs to have a slightly lower output so it doesn't distort when you don't want it to. ;)

No idea about the arpeggiator thing - never tried it in polychain. I'll see Dave at the NAMM show today though - I can ask. :cool:

dB

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I've got a Mono Evolver Keyboard and 2 Poly Racks and here are my thoughts: Save up and buy a Poly Evolver Keyboard. Why? Because the outputs on the MEK are WAY hotter than those on the Poly Rack and using them together is just enough hassle to make you wish you had the Poly Evolver Keyboard (whose output levels match the Poly Rack).

If you use the MEK with a Poly Rack, you really need to send the MEK output to a mixer or something to match the output levels on the Poly Rack. Otherwise, when you have them Poly Chained, the lone MEK voice will jump out at you every time it rolls around. It's maddening. (By the way, the MEK output is louder because its a mono instrument and won't distort like a 4-voice Poly Rack or PEK would if it had the same output level.)

Also, if you get the PEK, it's nice having a 5 octave keyboard to access the entire range of those HUGE sounds you'll be creating.

There's also the Combo mode thing and the Unison thing -- both of these controls are on the Poly Keyboard but not on the Mono Keyboard.

Just my opinion, based on my own situation.

Archived