AUDACITY'S FANTOM-G REVIEW / FAQ

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

In/Out: Layout? How many MIDI outs?

Only one MIDI out. The one question I had was whether or not a MIDI track could be sent discretely from either a MIDI output channel OR a USB MIDI channel. Roland didn't have an answer for me. Since there are only 16 external parts, I'm assuming not. It'd be really cool to send one track on channel 1 to a Virus Ti and another track on channel 1 to Reason, but I don't think you can do that. Maybe in an update.

As a side note, the RD-700GX has

• Members
If each arp has 128 variations plus 10 motifs available, there are 17,664 distinct arp variations in total.

I'm not sure what a "motif" is, but if it can be applied to each of the 128 variations per arp, then there are 163,840 distinct arp variations in total.

Motif is up, down, up/down, random, glissando... crap, I forget the rest. They probably don't really count as dedicated arp styles. Let's stick with 17,664. :D

• Members

Flash memory costs what, 10$ per Gb? It's no more an excuse for having a small ROM. If a synth has small ROM nowadays - it's because the company simply lazy/doesn't want to work on/add new sounds.

Great review, btw! :thu:

• Members

Thanks for posting that lot :)

And there was me thinking the Fantom-X was still the best of the 3 (overall ie useability etc rather than just purely on sound) when put up against the Motif XS and M3.

Even us dance types need a rompler in there somewhere :)

• Members

Since few people know what it's like to play on a real ivory keyboard (what with the killing of elephants and all), I'm not sure how much of an advantage this is, but the escapement element of the weighted action is pretty authentic. Liked it.

Isn't it supposed to feel less slippy under the fingers with the ivory texture? Thought that's the thinking anyway..

I would guess that their first drums expansion board is also largely technology lifted from their VDrums too? Roland recycling again (although not a bad thing to be recycling at all), so wouldn't be a huge surprise if something JP-8000 like showed up as an add-on board too.

It looks quite nice, but the lack of a touchscreen is slightly surprising these days, since it seems like, in general, things are moving towards those rather than away from..

• Members

Nice info,thanks for that,it answers quite a few questions.Thats a fair bit of typing,well done sir.

Most of it seems pretty good,I am a little curious about the file management system though.I can see the benefits of projects and all associated parts that belong to that project but can you still access Songs in a list and place them in a specific set or order? That is such a useful feature on the Fan X. Can you quick playback all songs stored in internal or external storage?

Guest Anonymous

Doesn't seem like there's going to be a ton of new sounds (mostly pillaging the SRX boards ... which could work out fine but not as dramatic for expanded Fan-X owners)

The G contains mostly all-new sounds, with a few classics from the Fantom, a good amount from the Sonic Cell, and a bunch from the SRX boards. More samples and patches are still to come.

It's evolutionary, not revolutionary!

Oh, shut the hell up. It's a ROMpler workstation, and a damn impressive one at that. I'll most likely snag the rack version if it's released later.

Great post. Thanx.

Where art thou GR?

:wave:

• Members

I'm not in the market for a new workstation but I love the USB audio integration, I could definitely use that.

What's the max storage that's been tested?

8 GB USB 2.0 key. There's the
potential
of larger storage.

If they can't go larger they really screwed up.

Motif and Triton have supported USB hard drives and CD-ROM since 2004...Triton even does audio CD burning over USB.

Archived