Talk me out of buying an Andromeda A6

MM420

• Members

Please. :wave:

I already one a nice Waldorf Q Plus and XTK10.

Voyager and Nord G2 Modular.

The Alesis is overkill...... right?

:evil:

The DSI looks nice... but is it A6 territory? I played a PEK and was a little disappointed in the knob quality compared to the synths listed above.

I have never played an A6... will I be disappointed?

Can I still buy the memory cards.... is this analog synth going to be obsolete soon? :lol:

Can I overwrite ALL presets?

thanks

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It's too complicated - they put too much 'stuff' in it.

It sounds like a VA.

It's tweezy/weezy sounding.

It's got no bottom end.

You can tweak endlessly and not come up with anything good.

It's expensive.

You already have too many other synths.

No one needs that much power.

It's a 'time sink'.

The learning curve is too high.

There's so many other things you could get with that amount of money.

;)

Those are some of the things I've heard about the A6.

• Members

And of course this is all coming from people that have way more synths in their studio than you currently have ;)

I don't think the word 'overkill' exists in the KSS forum. :p

And I don't want to see any more pics piggy, you're going to make my house stinky.

• Members

I already one a nice Waldorf Q Plus and XTK10.

Voyager and Nord G2 Modular.

But, as you are undoubtedly aware, you don't own an analog polysynth.

The DSI looks nice... but is it A6 territory? I played a PEK and was a little disappointed in the knob quality compared to the synths listed above.

Some have questioned the Andromeda's knob quality. I've had mine for years and never had a problem. They don't have a tight/stiff feel, but they're fine.

I have never played an A6... will I be disappointed?

Absolutely not.

Can I still buy the memory cards....

Yes. Google is your friend here.

is this analog synth going to be obsolete soon?

Alesis has no plans to update or revise the Andromeda. They have stated that they will only continue to sell them as long as there is demand. The fact that there continues to be demand, years after it's release, is no surprise to anyone who owns one.

Can I overwrite ALL presets?

Yes.

The Andromeda is one of the best analog polysynths ever made. But there are a handful of modern alternatives: DSI Prophet 8, DSI PolyEvolver, Studio Electronics Omega/Code, Jomox SunSyn, etc. Each is unique. And wonderful.

Good luck. :thu:

• Members

1. It's Buggy :mad:

2. It's Over-priced :p

3. It's made by Numark now in China :cop:

4. There is no more support for it :cry:

5. There should have been a rack unit :mad:

6. The presets are lame :blah:

7. No USB :rolleyes:

8. The display is confusing :freak:

9. There are too many knobs :eek:

10. It's too complicated :evil:

• Members

1. Its a one of a kind true analog :love:

2. The filters are fat as phuck :thu:

3. It comes in two different colors :lol:

4. It ain't heavy, its an A6 :cool:

5. You'll be the only one on the block :lol:

6. You can sell it on eBay for big bucks :cop:

7. Your girlfriend will leave you :poke:

8. You'll be up all nite :p

9. You'll give up drugs for it ;)

10. You'll wish there was an Andromeda A6 EX :idea:

• Members

1. There's no other synth like it, and never will be.

2. You'll be tempted to use the polyphony like crazy (cf point 1.) but really, the fewer voices and the simpler in your playing style, the more you'll really hear what's possible with an Andromeda.

3. The modulation matrix is so deep on this synth, you have the equivalent of a modular system except it's in one keyboard and costs a fraction of the price -- oh and it's analogue, to boot.

4. The I/O on the A6 remains the most extensive you'll find, short of your Voyager.

5. Don't let your Voyager and A6 into the same room at the same time, especially at night, if they couple together they might breed!

6. The A6 complements the Voyager wonderfully, in fact; they sound very different and do very different things, but especially if you've got some of the Moog expander modules/Moogerfoogers, there's lots of ways to use them together.

7. The A6 will reduce your G.A.S. profoundly, and is thus despised by every other synth manufacturer on the planet.

8. There are people without the money for an A6 that are so absolutely jealous of those who have one, they'll spend all their time on every forum they can find railing against it in the hope that their moron campaigns will bring the synth's reputation down to the point where they can actually afford it. Ain't going to happen. Distressed furniture salespeople, look elsewhere for your machinations.

9. There are other people out there who aren't willing to spend the time learning the A6 and don't really know why they got it except for the fact everyone said it was so wonderful, who'd be better off with cheap patch preset machines, or really, just a used Juno, who will rag on the A6 endlessly because simply, it's beyond their competence.

10. You will have to be patient if you buy a new one, as my understanding is that Alesis manufactures them in batches of about 20 or so, and wait to initiate a manufacture run until they have the next 20 orders, worldwide. You can expedite arrival of your A6 by ordering 20 of them. Or, more seriously, you might be able to arrange a group purchase if you can find 19 other people online who want one.

11. You have to be careful buying a case for this big, heavy synth; the SKB 5820 for instance will work, but the usual 61-key case won't fit (ditto for the V-Synth).

12. You should be sure you get a really solid stand for the A6, as not only is it heavy, but you'll be rocking out for a long time on it, and you don't want what happened to that bridge in Minnesota to happen to your A6 stand as a result.

13. You will find that the Andromeda is actually quite a wonderful complement to what you've listed as already having; my recommendation would be, DON'T BE TEMPTED TO SELL ANY OF IT OFF! Add the A6 to your collection, and learn how to use it well, especially using its I/O along with your other synths' I/O capabilities (audio and CV), and you'll really be happy for life with it.

:wave:

Archived