"Jet Airliner" and "Fox on the Run"... intros?

cvogue

• Members

Hey guys, first time poster on this forum (I'm usually in GJ... don't hate me!)

For you synth-heads I'm wondering how to get the sounds for the intro to "Fox on the Run" by Sweet and "Threshold" (intro to Jet Airliner) by the Steve Miller Band.

I think the Fox intro is just one synth, but Threshold might be a few of them.

For "Fox" could it be a simple matter of getting a square wave going at the right rate and just messing with filter cutoff frequencies?

Anyway, any help appreciated.

• Members

For you synth-heads I'm wondering how to get the sounds for the intro to "Fox on the Run" by Sweet and "Threshold" (intro to Jet Airliner) by the Steve Miller Band.

I think the Fox intro is just one synth, but Threshold might be a few of them.

For "Fox" could it be a simple matter of getting a square wave going at the right rate and just messing with filter cutoff frequencies?

Anyway, any help appreciated.

Fox: Are you talking about the sawtooth thing at the beginning that gets uber-resonance? Yeah, that's all there is, though some filter types howl better than others. Put a square-LFO on the filter and play with the cutoff. If you're talking about the lead, it sounds like a square wave of some sort, no PWM, two osc 1 octave apart w/ filter env type deal. Something like that.

Jet Airliner: The most notable synth is at least a two-osc synth (maybe three to get some overtones), oscs separated -12 / +4 (thirds). Sounds square-y, would play with the PWM settings to see if they matter. Definitely multitracked. In addition to this you have some LFO-rez-filter, an arpeggiating synth, a fast LFO type patch, an FMish sort of patch, etc.

• Members

Fox: Are you talking about the sawtooth thing at the beginning that gets uber-resonance? Yeah, that's all there is, though some filter types howl better than others. Put a square-LFO on the filter and play with the cutoff. If you're talking about the lead, it sounds like a square wave of some sort, no PWM, two osc 1 octave apart w/ filter env type deal. Something like that.

Jet Airliner: The most notable synth is at least a two-osc synth (maybe three to get some overtones), oscs separated -12 / +4 (thirds). Sounds square-y, would play with the PWM settings to see if they matter. Definitely multitracked. In addition to this you have some LFO-rez-filter, an arpeggiating synth, a fast LFO type patch, an FMish sort of patch, etc.

Thanks!! Yeah the very beginning of "Fox" is what I was referring to. I played with a few synths at NAMM and got close doing what you described. Knowing virtually nothing about synth programming I was proud that I got that close!

What's "PWM"?

• Members

Thanks!! Yeah the very beginning of "Fox" is what I was referring to. I played with a few synths at NAMM and got close doing what you described. Knowing virtually nothing about synth programming I was proud that I got that close!

What's "PWM"?

Pulse width modulation. Many synthesizers allow you to adjust the width of the square wave (from tiny to wide). Pulse width modulation allows you to attach this adjustment to something like an LFO (low-frequency oscillator), so that the width continuously adjusts.

Wikipedia gets into the nuances.

• Members

Doh! I was just playing Jet Airliner and wondering what the heck you were talking about. Sounded like guitar to me.

stupid CD track splitting
:)

Actually the song is called "Threshold" but it's usually played before JA.

• Members

Sweet!!!

(No pun intended
:D
)

It's a lot smoother sounding than the original by Sweet... shot in the dark... Yamaha? (Or are you sticking to your namesake and you did it on a Moog)

Thanks! The synth I used is not a Moog or Yamaha. Good guesses though!

Anyone else care to guess the synth?

• Members

Thanks! The synth I used is not a Moog or Yamaha. Good guesses though!

Anyone else care to guess the synth?

Me again! :D

Roland?

I'd like a keyboard for home use, would be good to get one with decent piano sounds and at least touch sensitive if not weighted keys. I'd also like synth capabilities to do this kind of thing. Any suggestions? Budget is a concern...

• Members

Okay, I'll spill the beans.
:)
I did that sound effect with an ARP Odyssey.

As for an all around synth, I'm not familiar with with many newer synths. Maybe one of the newer workstations with a VA synth built-in would work (?).

Rats! I was thinking ARP as well... Great sound!

Yeah our keyboardist got a little Roland Juno-D and I messed around with it, there's a lot there, wish it had better piano sounds and better action on the keys but it's OK.

Thanks for the info. :thu:

• Members

It's a long shot, but you could try it on the Korg by programming a rising filter sweep with lots of resonance while modulating the VCA with a square wave LFO.

I believe my Odyssey patch used the oscillators in sync mode while modulating osc pitch and the filter. That was a few years ago, so I'm not 100% certain.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • Members

Hello Moog

I've forgotton about this. I've nearly managed. It's way not perfect but I'm on the right road. Just don't know how to let you listen. I've got a myspace but i don't fancy uploading it to there. Is there a website for this sort of stuff.

If you want to hear my X3 in action total raw sequence no modifications then have a gander.

www.myspace.com/cbmiddleton

• Members

Fox on the Run is ARP Odyssey as well. Try the GForce Oddity VST, great stuff.

• Members

Hello Moog

I've forgotton about this. I've nearly managed. It's way not perfect but I'm on the right road. Just don't know how to let you listen. I've got a myspace but i don't fancy uploading it to there. Is there a website for this sort of stuff.

If you want to hear my X3 in action total raw sequence no modifications then have a gander.

www.myspace.com/cbmiddleton

Glad to hear you had some success at recreating the sound.:)

You can register at http://multiply.com/ to upload some MP3s for public comsumption.

I'll check out your myspace page a little later. THanks for the reply....

Archived