When did you start listening to Hearts Of Space?

Goominim

• Members

1983- since the beginning- I was also in jr high- I used to make tapes of all the northern california-school spacemusic shows with steve roach/ robert rich/ constance demby/ michael stearns/ giles reaves/ richard burmer/ etc-

the website is fantastic- they have really come into the 21st century very well- all shows on tap- and everything on HoS records

• Members

I started listening to it many years ago, and have had my music played on the program. I've also had the opportunity to talk to Stephen Hill a few times at local events, and he is a really nice guy and incredibly knowlegable about music.

• Members

Had to have been early 90s. Didn't listen consistently - too much schlocky material and hippywow-spiritual pretensions. We took it only half-seriously, but still from time to time something would stand out as truly interesting.

I'm a serious Robert Rich fan. Steve Roach running second. O'Hearn, Eno. Then a few space music types like Serrie, Telomere. Wish I could find more artists in the genre with original material, depth, and staying power.

nat whilk ii

• Members

I dunno, mid/late 80s I guess was when it showed up on a station here in New England. I stopped listening after 2-3 years when it got way too "new age" for me.

Is it still on the air? Noone carries it here any more.

It's still on the air, albeit the public radio stations that carry it has really gone down over the years. However XM radio carries Hearts of Space on their New Age / ambient channel ("Audio Visions").

I listened to it starting in the late 1980s. Cool program, some of the time. You have to like downtempo stuff and waddle through the occasional annoying pretense in vogue (it was New Age back then; then, Celtic and world music became annoying in that circle for a while). Since there isn't anything really annoying in vogue in downtempo these days, modern programs seem a bit better balanced.

• Members

It's still on the air, albeit the public radio stations that carry it has really gone down over the years. However XM radio carries Hearts of Space on their New Age / ambient channel ("Audio Visions").

I listened to it starting in the late 1980s. Cool program, some of the time.

Me too. I found it to be good driving music. It was on late and I was always on the road, so after a gig I would have a few hours to drive and it was a nice way to pass the time. It doesnt have the same impact today.:cry:

• Members

Me too. I found it to be good driving music. It was on late and I was always on the road, so after a gig I would have a few hours to drive and it was a nice way to pass the time. It doesnt have the same impact today.
:cry:

Impact is too right! I almost had an impact while I was listening to HOS late one starlit, moonless evening as I was driving toward Nashville. Safe journey, space fans my ass! :lol:

Still love it, though. It's up there next to Thistle and Shamrock. Damn, I could listen to Fiona Richey read the phone book!

• Members

Impact is too right! I almost had an impact while I was listening to
HOS
late one starlit, moonless evening as I was driving toward Nashville. Safe journey, space fans my ass!
:lol:

Still love it, though. It's up there next to
Thistle and Shamrock
. Damn, I could listen to Fiona Richey read the phone book!

I'm with you on Fiona, too bad they don't carry it on our local pbs station any more.

KAC

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I started listening to HOS in the late 80s. I grew up listening to and enjoying instrumental soundtrack music and I was really excited to find HOS at the time. The program opened the door for me to artists like Steve Roach, Robert Rich, Harold Budd, etc. who I hadn't known of prior.

A few years ago I finally had a couple of my own songs played on HOS and I have to admit it that it was a real treat to have been played on HOS alongside Steve Roach on the same program.

I do agree, though, that a lot of the airplay over the years has consisted of the more cliche "new age" material which doesn't connect with me very well.

J.

• Members

p.s. Their site uses Windows Media streaming. Ptbhptbh. Some of the artists are on iTMS, but that is only marginally better (DRM).

You can find almost-complete archives of HOS in MP3 format with much higher quality bitrates on various shady pirate networks. That says something about the music industry today, for what it's worth...

• Members

About 5 years ago I think for what was then local FM station that did the show on sunday nights. But since got xm rado on new stereo receiver, shortly before xmass 07, just tunes in xm077 "Visions" when wants a hearts of space type fix. Fairly regular for hour or two.

• Members

I have a cassette tape around somewhere of a Hearts of Space show I recorded off the radio in 1991. It was when Enigma came out with MCMXC. Steven Hill mixed it with Dead Can Dance's "Within the Realm of a Dying Sun" and some similar music including Gregorian chant. Excellent mix.

• Members

First started listening to it back in the early 90s, and I used to stay up for Musical Starstreams, both are off FM here in Fullerton. I really hated MS when they went dub. I remember being totally discusted when I'd hear a twenty minute tune that was little more than a slow crunchy hip-hop drum loop sample that had a filter sweep. Peeeeeyewww. :freak: I'd rather listen to the most ephemeral new age from HOS. But I haven't listened to HOS in years. There's so much great stuff on the internet now, its a new era. :thu:

Steve

Archived