Any Alesis DM Pro users here?

Nightsynth

• Members

I was thinking it might be handy to have a hardware drum module around. I use my Akai S5000 to handle most of my drum needs, but a dedicated drum module might be nice.

Anyway, I wondered if this thing reads .wav files via it's PCMCIA slot. I read that you can load your own samples into it, but it didn't specify if you can just drag your .wav samples to the card and the DM Pro will read it. If it can do this, that would cool as hell! I assume with over 1,000 onboard sounds, there's bound to be a handful of useable ones, but I gotta have my custom sounds and classic drum machine sounds (Linn LM-1, etc) availiable too.

• Members

The DM Pro's engine is basically the same as the QS synths, so you can in fact put 8 MB of your own samples on a flash card using Alesis' SoundBridge software.

Now here's where it becomes a drag....

First of all, you have to find a compatible card. The technology is going on ten years old, so good luck with that. IIRC, you can use PCMCIA cards, but that's kind of a waste of a more expensive card (the flash used to be much cheaper - don't know if it still is).

Secondly, after burning the samples on the card, you have to write instruments/kits that use those samples. That can be a bit convoluted - the DM Pro's interface is a bit fiddly.

Here's something you may not be taking into account/the good news - the DM Pro has 16MB (!) of onboard wave ROM. That's a ton of drums/percussion (including a whole bunch of older vintage drum machine samples). It also have a fully programmable four layer architecture with a full effects processor and 64 voices of polyphony. You may not need the extra samples.

I've been using a DM Pro for almost all of my drum needs for years. I love it to bits. I think it's one of the best things Alesis' synth division came up with, and I was always surprised that it wasn't more of a hit. As far as I know, no one really made anything like it. Sure there were other drum modules, but I'm not sure any had that amount of wave ROM/polyphony/programming power.

dB

• Members

What kind of sounds does it have? Purely acoustic? Slightly processed acoustic? Highly processed acoustics? Synthetic? TR-style? Any werido percussion sounds?

This is one piece of kit I haven't made my mind about. I have about a gig of drum samples, thousands and thousands of all kinds of percussion, but they're a pain to navigate and a lot of crap there... I want something with high-end sounds that is easy to use...

• Members

What kind of sounds does it have? Purely acoustic? Slightly processed acoustic? Highly processed acoustics? Synthetic? TR-style? Any werido percussion sounds?

Somewhere around 1700 samples (if memory serves) comprising everything the design team could think of at the time, no, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes.

There's just a ton of stuff in there - the thing even has samples from the old Roland CR78 and (IIRC) some really rare ones from the GX1. Plus, with the fully programmable four layer engine and (basically) built in Q2 fx processor, you can get really creative.

Like I said, I'm not sure anybody made anything quite like it. Alesis discontinued it because it was the only product they made that used those two 8MB ROM chips, and (at the time) chip foundry setup charges didn't necessarily make sense for small runs. The DG8 piano and QCards suffered a similar fate....

dB

• Members

I had a DM-5 as well. I really liked it, but it had some converter noise on the release phase. This was easily fixed on the D-4 as there was a trimpot, but there wasn't one on my DM-5, so I got rid of it. That was my only complaint though. Playing around with the trigger inputs is fun too. :)

• Members

Somewhere around 1700 samples (if memory serves) comprising everything the design team could think of at the time, no, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes.

There's just a ton of stuff in there - the thing even has samples from the old Roland CR78 and (IIRC) some really rare ones from the GX1. Plus, with the fully programmable four layer engine and (basically) built in Q2 fx processor, you can get really creative.

Like I said, I'm not sure anybody made anything quite like it. Alesis discontinued it because it was the only product they made that used those two 8MB ROM chips, and (at the time) chip foundry setup charges didn't necessarily make sense for small runs. The DG8 piano and QCards suffered a similar fate....

dB

Thanks, nice info. I definitely want it now... I only wish there were some mp3 demos of it...

• Members

I've had a DM Pro for a little over five years. Up until a year ago I used it as the brain for my electric drum kit. The variety of drum sounds is way better than any module I've ever used, though a fair ammount of them sound a little dated IMHO (not in a good/vintage way either). There are still plenty of other samples to choose from, especially if you're not looking for something that sounds realistic or acoustic. The effects section is lacking, but that's not really an important feature anyway.

The only technical problem I've had with it involves the trigger-to-MIDI converters. For some reason they totally crapped out on me about a year ago. Everything else works fine, you can still trigger sounds via MIDI just fine. I get the feeling that this is the way most people use them anyway.

• Members

Another happy DM-Pro owner here. It is a seriously tweakable box, although the interface can be confusing. You really need to be intimately familiar with the buss routing to best exploit the built-in FX.

Used to own a DM-5, bought the -Pro for the better acoustic sounds (esp cymbals) and the built-in FX.

• Members

Erstwhile DM-PRO owner. Ive never been a fan of anything by Alesis but this was as close as it got for me. The unit works and triggers well, its built a lot better than the D4 or D5. When you consider the quality of virtual drums libraries for the computer these days,Id only recommend the DM if you are going to install user sounds and you use it live, because by todays standard the samples arent very resolute.Everything sounds a little dark and distant to me.

• Members

When you consider the quality of virtual drums libraries for the computer these days,Id only recommend the DM if you are going to install user sounds and you use it live, because by todays standard the samples arent very resolute.

Not sure you're right about that...IIRC, the DM Pro's drums are all 16 bit 44.1kHz samples running through 20 bit converters...and at the end of the day, they're single shot drum samples - how resolute do they have to be? I wonder how many people can tell the difference between a 16 bit, 20 or 24 bit snare sample? ;)

Everything sounds a little dark and distant to me.

Doubt it's the quality of the samples. Sounds to me more like you just didn't dig the overall sound of the electronics. That'll happen...

Like I said, at the time (and, I think, since), there wasn't anything like it...and since I really never dug either the D4 or D5, I was happy to put this product out (yeah, I admit it - making this sucker was my idea...so it's no surprise I'm a fanboi). I still use mine all the time - I even have dedicated inputs on my console for it. :cool:

dB

• Members

DAVE BRYCE

16 bit/44.1 means absolutely NOTHING if its not processed correctly, has bad: op amps, filters, logic chips,and converters and has been improperly companded.I have many units in my arsenal that are"16 bit linear" and they all have different presence. Example, the stock piano in my XV5080 isn't as clear as the as JV series piano which isn't as clear as the SRX series piano which isn't as clear as the Piano sample in my S770 which isn't as clear as the EX1 piano in the Oasys- AND ALL ARE 16 BIT.

• Members

@lewey and Chromalord:

Yes, I know. ;)

I like to think the Alesis synth team did a good job on the samples. As far as I can remember, the process was handled pretty professionally, and/or the samples were purchased from the best sound designers in the industry...and all the samples are absolutely linear.

As far as the electronics, I've never heard anyone complain about them before, so I'm not aware of any issues; however, since ChromaLord's original comment was towards the overall sound of the box being "a little dark and distant", that kinda suggests to me that it's the electronics he doesn't like, as mentioned in my previous post.

Of course, in the end, sound quality is amazingly relative, so there's no point in really debating it. I remember being really proud when Dennis Chambers started using one, though...and Elton John's percussionist John Mahon had one for a while as well, as did King Crimson drummer Pat Mastelotto. Kinda nice to see toys you helped design being put to use by musicians whose work you really like. :cool:

dB

• Members

Thanks for all the info. And the insider scoop, dB! Is the PCMCIA interface limited to only recognizing 8MB cards, or is it just limited to only recognizing 8MBs? In other words, I have a 512MB PCMCIA card. Will the DM Pro be able (theoretically, of course) to see the card and just recognize 8MB of it, or does it have to be an 8MB card?

• Members

Thanks for all the info. And the insider scoop, dB! Is the PCMCIA interface limited to only recognizing 8MB cards, or is it just limited to only recognizing 8MBs?

No, it'll read different value cards. 2, 4 and 8...even 16 if memory serves, but the SoundBridge software that transfers the samples formats it as an 8MB card, I think.

In other words, I have a 512MB PCMCIA card. Will the DM Pro be able (theoretically, of course) to see the card and just recognize 8MB of it, or does it have to be an 8MB card?

Probably not. The DM Pro (and the QS synths) were very picky about which cards worked with them. There were only a few, and that was around ten years ago... :eek:

Plus, I don't even wanna think about the last time SoundBridge was updated. I wonder if there's even an XP or OSX version? Probably not...

dB

Archived