Motion Sound Pro 3X Rotary Horn Amp - Thoughts?

Dejavoodoo

• Members

I'm considering getting one of these:

51V2fW0zbvL._AA280_.jpg

You use it in conjunction with your existing amp system. In my case it's a pair of Behringer K1800s (and they sound fine, thank you) that's fed a mix from a 1202. I added a BlueTube pre for some oomph and color.

Anyone have one? Have any experience with one? Chime in!

Gracias

• Members

I think you'll like it- I liked my Pro3T and this one is supposed to be an improvement, tonally. I don't anticipate you'll need the Presonus BlueTube with it- I had one of those too and I'm not a fan. For Motion Sound to include mos-fet circuitry it sounds like they are looking out for players who want some Greg Rolie-type overdrive. Purists are going to slam a product like this but IMO it's not a bad solution- in the real world of gigging you are not always going to have the time or space to set up and mic a full-size Leslie.

• Members

I was thinking of getting a Pro 3X a while back and and wound up getting a Leslie 2101 instead. It's essentially the same concept - rotating horn speaker, plug a low-end simulation into your amp or PA. The MotionSound Pro 3 seems to be a little more convenient (smaller, lighter, cheaper, internal mic) but the Leslie 2101 had a bigger horn and, therefore, a sweeter and more full sound (IMO). (Ultimately the better sound should win out, right?)

either way, it's your ears so u should figure out what sounds best to you... but you should check out the Leslie 2101 before committing to the Pro 3.

• Members

I have the original Pro 3T. It looks a little different from the picture above. The knobs are placed differently, doesn't have the Rhino-liner coating or big logo. It was before they put internal mics in it. I like it alot. I don't use it a ton because I'm in the small children phase of life, but whenever I hook it up I dig it. The internal tube sound great. I've played my Hammond thru it successfully, but it also make my QS8 sound convincing as well. It give digital boards real growl and grit. The Rhodes sounds very cool and shimmery in slow rotor mode. Also, if you have a sans amp, you can get great guitar sounds. Very Badfinger.

Does the 3X have a tube? That's essential IMO.

I don't know if it's because I have such an old model, but mine's made pretty darn chintzy. Pressboard with a light coat of flat black Krylon for the enclosure and PVC plumbing parts for the horn. It's almost as if it was made in someone's garage out of parts from Home Depot. Sounds good though. Mine doesn't travel well. I had to glue the enclosure back together once.

• Members

I owned the original Pro-3T and played a Roland VK-1000 thru it live for awhile. The combination of the somewhat shrill high end of the Roland and the somewhat harsh sound of the Pro-3T didn't float my boat.

A real leslie has a much sweeter sound, but moving air of any kind is vastly superior to an electronic sim.

The preamp tubes the MS puts into their products will add a bit of warmth or even fizzy preamp overdrive, but will never get you close to the creamy sound of a tube power amp going balls to the wall.

• Members

That's why I put the low-rotor sim into a vintage Marshall Major stack. :D

The preamp tubes the MS puts into their products will add a bit of warmth or even fizzy preamp overdrive, but will never get you close to the creamy sound of a tube power amp going balls to the wall.

• Members

i played a gig once with a Crate 2x15" cab and 200 watt bass amp head with the Motion Sound original Pro 3 on top and enjoyed it.

I'm also considering getting an Ampeg SVT3-Pro with a 4X10 (and horn) cab, and using that in conjunction with the rotary amp. I'm sure the organ will sound killer, but I also run a Fantom for EP, piano, and synth sounds. I'm concerned about those sounds through a bass amp.

That, or a pair of KC 350s.

• Members

I pulled the trigger on both.

I've had the Ampeg for a few days - love the way the organ sounds through it! Nice and creamy - that's the only word I can come up with - tube pre is awesome. Hard to tell that the CX3 is a clonewheel - it sound so much more robust. Rhodes and Wurly sound nice and fat. And even the Fantom patches are good though it, especially the EPs. The piano samples lose a bit on the high end, but it's not enough to ruin my day, especially when I consider that it's only for live use, and I'm probably the only person who would care two whits about the subtle nuances of a piano sample.

The MS Rotary amp should be here by Thursday - in time for the gig on Friday. Can't wait!

• Members

did you check out the Leslie 2101?

I did - and I liked it, but it's too much. I got the Ampeg from a store in town at which I have an account (God bless the man!), and I had gift cards from American Musical Supply. Besides, after doing the horse trading for the Rhodes earlier this month, I dared not go for the Leslie!

• Members

Got it! Woo-hoo, does this thing sound good!

After some confusion regarding shipping (I thought it was going to my work address; it went to my house), I finally got to set it up last night and play with it. Cut a little mid here, add some trebble there, fiddle with the V-FET a bit, and presto! - sounds like butter! Really smooth - none of what I call the "sim aftertaste".

Also interesting: running the rotary sim on the CX3 in conjunction with the real deal. Sounds pretty cool on slow, but crappy on fast. Rhodes sounded sweet through it, too.

Downside: having to edit my CX3 presets so that the rotary sim isn't on by default. Wish they had a global parameter for that!

Finally had to stop playing around midnight, but boy, was it a great 3 hours!

I'll give it two thumbs waaaay up!

• Members

There really is no substitute for being in the room with moving air.

I know! Several times I caught myself checking the rotary control pedal to make sure the horn was working - is this thing on??. Then it occurred to me - I was used to listening for tell-tale signs of a simulation. Not much, but it's there.

• Members

I love the slow setting with a little grit. A thing of beauty.

Yes indeed. To answer a previous question, the 3X does not have a tube, but it does have V-FET technology. That's fine, but it doesn't matter, as the SVT3 Pro has 3 tubes. So I can get plenty of grit between the two.

Archived