Good weighted action controller ?

Muz

• Members

For years I've been using a Roland RD700. When I bought it I believed it to be the best weighted action portable keyboard out there. These days I use a Nord Stage for gigs and my Roland is a mostly permanent studio fixture. I still love the action. But I HATE HATE HATE the retarded mod/pitch joystick. As this point I use it as a controller only, to play soft synths and rack synths. Having a real mod wheel is sorely missed.

What controller would you recommend that has both the excellent action and separate mod and pitch wheels?

• Members

Roland A80? It's got both the retard-stick and proper pitch/mod wheels, so you can use whatever's more comfortable :)

As for the action, I've not owned one so I have no idea! But given that it was at or near the top of the range at the time it's unlikely to be terrible.

• Members

The A-80 action is a bit heavier than the RD700. I own one and love it, but had to get used to the heavier action. It feels really nice though. Top of the line for it's time and as far as I'm concearned, kicks ass on any P.O.S. plastic controller anyone makes these days. They don't even put simple aftertouch on alot of the new ones.

The A-90 might be a little closer to what you're looking for. A little closer in feel to the RD700 and you can add an expansion card so it makes sound. They're pretty nice JV era type sounds with decent pianos etc and built in FX. And like the A-80, it too has both the retard stick and the proper wheels. I hate the retard stick too and only find it occasionally useful.

• Members

But I HATE HATE HATE the retarded mod/pitch joystick.

On Rolands I have with sliders I assign one of them to cc#01 so I can get Leslie speed to hold. I'm not sure that you can pull that trick off on the RD700 but if you can give it a shot. It's better than nothing. Actually you get used to it rather quickly.

I'm considering the Studiologic SL-990XP

The action on these guys is very light for a weighted controller. I happen to like it a lot, but for some players it would drive them nuts. Just a heads up. To me it is great if you are doing a variety of things from it, not just piano.

• Members

I think it's kinda lame that Yamaha is using the KX name with this new line. These should not be classified in the same realm as the KX-76/KX-88. Those were great quality controllers (with aftertouch even, which was standard on most any post '86 polyphonic pro synth/controller). You could get one of those for around $400 - $500 bucks these days. The bottom line is that they just don't make them like they used to and if you want something that will feel similar to your RD700, you'll have to buy something second hand from the days that they used to actually make pro controllers. What is up with the current trend of ommiting aftertouch? I use aftertouch alot (for filter control, modulations, or amplitude, or all of the above). I still think the A-90 is your best option...

CMEs look interesting because they at least have metal chassis instead of plastic, but I've never played one myself. They don't have them at the GC here.

• Members

The action on these guys (SL-990XP) is very light for a weighted controller. I happen to like it a lot, but for some players it would drive them nuts. Just a heads up. To me it is great if you are doing a variety of things from it, not just piano.

Thanks for the info, actually sounds perfect for me.:thu:

• Members

Thanks for your replies. Having trouble tracking down a used A-90 (found one that comes with a case but don't want the extra expense for a case I don't really need). I'll keep my eye out though, sounds like what I'm looking for.

I just checked out the RD-700GX on Roland's site. What a let down they went with only the retard stick. So much focus on high quality piano samples and realistic action, why do they think the market for this wants to attempt Return to Forever licks?

I'll make a trek to Guitar Center soon and examine the current offerings.

• Members

If you can hold off just a bit more, the Kurzweil PC3X should make an excellent controller.

http://www.kurzweilmusicsystems.com/Product.php?product=37

From the features and specs/controller section:

Pitch wheel, modulation wheel, 9 front panel sliders/drawbar controllers, 2 front panel switches (momentary or toggle, software selectable), 3 switch pedal input, 2 continuous control pedal inputs, mono pressure, Super Ribbon input, breath controller input. Controller values can be "captured" and stored as part of a program.

• Members

If you can hold off just a bit more, the Kurzweil PC3X should make an excellent controller.

From the features and specs/controller section:

Pitch wheel, modulation wheel, 9 front panel sliders/drawbar controllers, 2 front panel switches (momentary or toggle, software selectable), 3 switch pedal input, 2 continuous control pedal inputs, mono pressure, Super Ribbon input, breath controller input. Controller values can be "captured" and stored as part of a program.

Looks nice, may be more than I need (i.e. internal sound banks) but I'll see what the action on the PC2X is like, if I run into one.

• Members

The KX's hammer action will probably be okay (I imagine for that price it'd feel a bit like my P70) but compared to a second-hand former "top end" controller, the build quality just won't be there.

It's not very inspiring with that tiny LCD. I love my Novation Remote SL 61 with it's aftertouch and two huge LCDs, I just want it with 88 weighted keys . . . :love:

PS I love synth action too, so I would be crazy enough to get both, if Novation offered it!

Archived