The Difference Between Yamaha Pianos

Billy McEvoy

• Members

I am looking to purchase a portable piano with a weighted keyboard and accompaniment/style features. The Yamaha DGX-620 and YPG-625 are options but has anyone played them both and knows the differences between them? Does the "lightly weighted" keyboard in the less expensive models feel like a real piano? Thanks.

• Members

Unless of course you want to spend silly money on a high-end CVP-series home piano :) Which I'm guessing you don't... the "natural wood" GH3 action is lovely, but I wish they'd filter it down into stage pianos that didn't cost many thousands of pounds!

• Members

The keyboards are identical. YPG= Sold at Music Dealers like Guitar Center, where you can also purchase a survival kit 3 year extended warranty. DGX= Available at locations such as Best Buy and Costco, they may offer their own warranty, but not the Survival Kit. This is just marketing, like Ford and Mercury or GMC and Chevy, or a VW Golf in Europe that's now a Rabbit over here, (although I refuse to call it a Rabbit)

John

• Members

IMO the best keyboard ever was the Yamaha P90. Great GHE (Graded Hammer Effect ? - I think). Very realistic feel. Great sound. I prefer them without built-in speakers because you can use any headphones or amplification you prefer. Don't know why they had to discontinue the P90 in favor of the CP33, unless it was just to sell a more expensive keyboard.

I played a CP33 in a store and it just didn't feel the same.

Carry on.

• Members

A company like Yamaha sells keyboards in a wide range of prices and features through a number of different sales channels:

-- Full product music stores (like Guitar Center, Sam Ash, etc.)

-- Piano stores (stores that sell both real acoustic and digital pianos)

-- Mass market retailers (Electronics stores, Warehouse)

Many times these products are created such that a person can not easily compare them.

Archived