Time to Fire your Drummer: New ARX01 Drum Video(and ARX02)

Son of HuHefner

• Members

I have always thought Roland drums are the best. Definitely in your face samples plus the use of Rolands great FX

Its a little tough to hear the quality improvements in the ARX 01. But the individual adjustments to snare, cymbal, kick drum are very cool

How about that ARX02 Supernat'l EP ??? Ohhhhhhhh Baabbby.

That's a keeper

• Members

The rhodes is fabulous to me... now of course it will only pass the test if the keyboard touch is matched with the sounds...

I'm 50/50 on this or the RD700GX... I don' think the RD Epiano is the same as the one demonstarted in the ARX... probably "based on" but not the same... if it is the same then I guess the RD will have my attention...

• Members

Yeah I think I read "based on" somewhere... that could mean less samples... of course one of those ARX boards could perhaps potentially access upto 1GB of sample data (a'la Scarbee)... whereas the RD complete sound set (including pianos, organs strings et al) will be contained within 256MB.

I hope I'm wrong though!

• Members

Looks very nice. To navigate quickly, especially on some of the very small graphics, I noticed the presenter used a mouse frequently. This might suggest that especially for editing, one should plan on using a mouse.

Most of the graphics seemed useful in helping the user understand what they were changing, but what is the deal with the spinning drum hologram?

Given the ARX expansions rely heavily on a visual interface for adjustment, I wonder what impact this will have on a Fantom-G rack?

I am starting to think a Fantom-G rack would need to be a 4U rack to accomodate an LCD screen (like the V-Synth rack). Given all of the Fantom-G's reliance on a nice LCD interface, I can't see Roland using the Fantom-XR's traditional small text-based display.

• Members

Given the ARX expansions rely heavily on a visual interface for adjustment, I wonder what impact this will have on a Fantom-G rack?

I am starting to think a Fantom-G rack would need to be a 4U rack to accomodate an LCD screen (

a G-rack ???

Have you been hangin' with Tony Robbins ?? Or tryin' that ' Secret ' thing ?

:D

• Members

I'm a bit "Meh" about this

The basic sounds are still "romplertastic" to my ears. The toms on the first example are super lame.

The editing is cool in principal, but not sure it works that well when he's demonstrating it. Taken too far from the original Rom sample and they go "off" imo and sound inauthentic. Cool for mashed up stuff though- you could really mess with the sounds and get something nasty/experimental.

Its a tricky one- would many people who write conventional music with workstations spend that much attention to detail on the individual drum sounds/drum programming?

• Members
The basic sounds are still "romplertastic" to my ears.

Yeah, from what I heard at NAMM, they sounded like really, really good ROMpler drum sounds with no distracting velocity switching (which really affects the accuracy department). Something like BFD goes after the "I need every snare drum sample available now!" (like me) and ARX-01 seems to be more for the tweaker/sound designer guy.

The editing is cool in principal, but not sure it works that well when he's demonstrating it.

Betcha the guy was using the mouse on purpose

• Members

I find the Drum ARX gimmicky personally. When he "Increased the shell depth" it just sounded like it was detuning the sample. When he "Tuned it" and brought it back to pitch, it sounded pretty much the same as when he started! Of course I'm listening on laptop speakers so forgive me if there is some "3D ambiance" going on that I'm missing.

The EP looks fun though, and for all intents something "new". Reminds me of the FDSP Yamaha came out with a few years back, and the nord electro stuff. Wish the EP board had a clav model too with the same type of adjustments.

Now if they add an ARX organ board like an improved VK series, THEN we could be talkin! Analog Modeling ARX too! Oh WHY only 2 slots! Oh well....

Can't wait to play it!

• Members

Oh WHY only 2 slots! Oh well.... Can't wait to play it!

I have a sneaking feeling Roland is going to be updating this board sooner rather than later ...

I for one am extremely leery of jumping onto a new platform with such relatively limited expansion possibilities ...

What happens when the inevitable orchestral ARX comes out ... ? World? And some kind of dance/electronic/VA ARX?

And though, of course, we haven't sampled the actual soundset yet ... I just can't imagine how Roland is going to satisfy everyone

• Members

Seems like there's a bit too much going on, really. So many parameters, most of which don't really make a damn bit of difference, or serve only to wreck a preset that was perfectly good before it got messed with.

• Members

Roland, like Yamaha, have been fairly consistent in eventually releasing a rack version of their keyboard workstations.

I hope (but of course do not know) that Roland would consider a Fantom-G rack eventually.

I like racks, big ones
:)

a tit man you are ??

merle-yost-740107.jpg

ok, so that was very funny.

I think its completely up in the air if you will see a G-rack in the next 2 years

The " G" will have to be wildly successful before a G-Rack can be visualized

Its not an automatic ( like it used to be)

Archived