Synth Video How-to ?

idiotboy

• Members

So, yeah, I can figure it out on my own. But, I'm curious about the various methodologies, software, hardware, etc.

Are people using cellphone video for this, or dedicated videocams? Adobe Premiere for assembling, or, what? Are there any best practices, etc? I like the improved quality of recording the audio separately and sync'ing with video, but not sure how to do that?

Anyway, just a discussion topic. At some point, I'd like to make some vids for the FR XS, although I don't think I can top Shaggie's.

:)

• Members

I've made a few synth videos.

I use a Canopus ADVC100 firewire converter box. The current model is the ADVC110.

Canopus-ADVC-110-C154-1006-a.JPG

I plug a Sony camcorder into the video input on the ADVC100. I run a stereo feed out of my keyboard mixer into the ADVC100, which obviously provides much higher quality than what I'd get from the camcorder mic.

I use Apple's iMovie program to record the video/audio input from the ADVC100. I also use iMovie to edit the videos and export them to Quicktime format for upload to YouTube, Soundclick, Google, etc.

I recently purchased Final Cut Express for additional video editing but haven't really explored it yet.

In any case, this is how I do it. Of course plenty of other people just use cellphones and whatnot.

• Members

Is there any camcorder that come with stereo (audio) input (to direct the mixer output to)? That would save some $$ for any AD converters...but again waht would i know about video editing... :idea:

By the way, Keybdwiz...i really enjoy your videos. You should definitely work on jazz/fusion album :thu:

• Members

I am not aware of any camcorders that have direct audio inputs, but I've never researched it either. The Canopus converter box works fine for recording directly to my computer... I originally purchased it to transfer old home movies to DVD. But it's another $200.

Even if you had a camcorder with audio ins, however, I guess you'd still need a converter box unless you had a camera that could stream live audio and video directly to your computer via Firewire. Maybe those are available now too... I don't know.

Glad to hear you've enjoyed the videos!

• Members

I dont have digicam, but my digital camera has the capability to record videos (with the built in mic) but the sound quality sux.

The video quality works quite good for youtube purpose. If only in had a dedicated mic input to record audio directly, it would have been much better...

I trasfer the videos directly to my PC using the SD card. There is no need for AD converters...(works just fine for amateur videos..) :)

Here's one video sample: http://youtube.com/watch?v=u7u4J8fTOi0 :cop:

• Members

Dont most video camera these dyas have firewire on them?

Mines really ancient now and that does - so just offload to the computer and edit it, though Movie maker for windows truly sux.

Any other siggestions that are good for getting separate audio synced properly and can do basic cuts/fades/overlays etc?

Oh, and doesnt only work with some hideous pain in the arse apple format - ie works with native windows media formats?

• Members

No-no's:

- never use a cellphone camera, it's an insult to everyone involved.

- you can use a regular digital camera, but the audio quality is an insult to everone involved. It does not even qualify as "good enough" for YouTube. Your ravings about how gorgeous this or that vintage synth are are useless if you use a {censored}ty recording method.

How to solve this if you do not want to plonk down a lot of $ for a digital video camera:

Use your digital camera (provided that it records at at least 15 frames per second) to record the video. Make sure your memory card is big enough (SD-cards come in 4gb sizes nowadays) and hope that it has continuous recording (some cameras shut off automatically after a minute).

Put it on a stand, even if you have to build some kind of contraption to get it at the right position (mic boom stands + creative use of tape works). The best shot is the overhead shot so your head isn't in the way and you don't have to take separate shots.

Then, put the synth's outputs in your computer's audio interface. Also, hook up a microphone. Start recording the video.

Now, clap your hands so the microphone records this. Shut down the microphone, unless you actually want to talk during this instead of show text slides.

Start playing. Don't be afraid to mess stuff up; if your camera's memory's big enough, you can afford a few goofs.

After you're done, there's the first problem; how to synchronize the audio and video? Well, that's what clapping your hands was for. It's trivial to find the right position in the sound file. Move it to the right position and lock it, use guides if your software supports this.

When you cut out any video parts, make sure the exact size of the audio part is cut, too. When you have made a little mistake, cut out the bits and use a crossfade so your head or hands don't jump immediately to another position.

Adobe Premiere comes in a cheaper version called "Elements" which should be more than capable for the job already.

If you're serious about this, try to see if you can borrow a camcorder from a friend or family member; you can still use the technique to record audio separately, because it means it'll get compressed and reduced in quality at the very last moment.

Don't worry about the sync; Flash video and audio tend to run out of sync eventually anyway.

• Members

I use WinDVD Creator (which came with my Asus motherboard) to do video. I think Windows Movie Maker (comes with XP) would work too.

My video camera (a Sony MiniDV unit) has Firewire but no audio input. If I want to do a video with high quality audio from the synths I would set up Cubase to record what I'm playing as I'm making the video, then make a WAV file from Cubase and bring it into the video in the video editor, then sync it up and away we go.

For editing, sync the audio track to the video first, before doing any editing. Then when you edit, the software should cut the audio and video together.

• Members

I got this doo-dad on sale at Best Buy for something like 20 or 30 bucks

Dazzle

I bought it for transferring old tapes to DVD and it does the job just fine. I have not tried a synth or guitar video though. I still use a Sony Hi-8 deck that used to be a top-of-the line camcorder (only difference between it and the best was the LCD display size) but now probably doesn't compete with a 350 dollar digital camcorder. Needless to say video recording is not high on my list of priorities. I am still working through 9 years of tapes, a little at a time. I use Roxio Easy Media Creator 10. It is like the Dazzle thing, nothing special but gets the basic job done.

• Members

Good info, thanks everybody.

I've got a video camera with a Firewire output, and a PC with a Firewire input, so I've got that part covered. And I think I've got an old version of Adobe Premiere lying around somewhere.

The main issue for me is that I need to do the video editing on a PC, but my DAW machine is a Mac. So I need to bounce the audio out of Logic, transfer it over to my PC, load it up in Premiere and sync it with the video.

I'll definitely be using Yoozer's excellent "clap" technique--thanks for that Yooz. :thu:

Archived