Can anyone guide me on how to achieve this synth sound?

The*Ataris

• Members

I apologize if you guys get this a lot, but I'm just completely in love with some of the synth sounds that Tokyo Police Club get and I can't figure out how to pull them off. I mean, it almost sounds like a guitar the way it rings out and distorts. It's pretty prominent on the first three songs here:

http://www.myspace.com/tokyopoliceclub

I'm pretty new to synthesis, but I can't get anywhere close to that. If anyone can get me in the ballpark of this sound, I might just love you forever.

• Members

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's just a fuzzed out guitar.

Not like any fuzzed out guitar I've ever heard, but I do believe it is a guitar.

Dude, no...

:)

I promise I wouldn't lie to you. Want proof?

PZYuXZJ6BAE

[YOUTUBE]BYEV99_j114[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

What synths do you own and what have you tried? Are you using patch editor software?

Start with a screaming lead patch, add ring modulation and tweak the distortion and filter resonance to get harmonics in the same range as that sample.

• Members

I've just been screwing around with a Microkorg for a while, but I've also been looking for the next step too.

I've been looking around for a Juno-60 because a really solid pad sound would be the most useful to me, but I'm really intrigued by that sound he's getting. As far as I can tell, it doesn't exist on the Microkorg. It's so rich and full of harmonic content; rings out really nicely too.

I've been looking at something like a Nord Lead too...

• Members

I apologize if you guys get this a lot, but I'm just completely in love with some of the synth sounds that Tokyo Police Club get and I can't figure out how to pull them off. I mean, it almost sounds like a guitar the way it rings out and distorts.

You know what I would try? Running a garden variety analog/modelling type synth into a tube amp simulator, like a Line 6 or something. Sine wave oscillators ("ping" type sounds) and other softer type sounds work best with distortion, and there isn't a whole lot of distortion needed for what is played there. Hell maybe even a fuzz pedal alone will work. Have fun.

Some day, I'm going to drag that Line 6 pedal I have, plug it into my Roland VK-8, and see if anyone notices the difference between me and a guitar... heh.

• Members

Thank you all for your suggestions. That's exactly what I was looking for!

Thankfully I'm a pedal-crazed guitar player pretending to be a synth player so I have plenty of toys lying around to mess around with. Let me tell you, though. I really enjoy your world and learning this stuff is really fun...

I'm going to try some stuff with:

--Line6 POD XT

--TS9DX

--SPF Green Line

--MXR Distortion+

--USA Big Muff

--Zvex Fuzz Factory

I'll report back when I get a chance :)

• Members

Fixed.

Well, fortunately the Microkorg does in some capacity. I haven't really played around with it. I suppose I've just been scared off of the word, because ring modulation is generally so useless for anything melodic in a guitar context.

I'll give it a run...

Archived