Best Sequencing Workstation (Module)??

johnbarnesiii

• Members

Hello,

Sorry for the repeat, but I just came across a few more models to add to my confusion, so again I ask...

What is the best portable unit (module only, no keys, no laptop) for all-in-one sequencing, tone generation (with good sounds), and playback engine?

Playback functions I need are capability for click out to drummer, playlist assign for full set order, and pedal assign for drummer to start next song on playlist. After one song is done, module stands-by for pedal tap to start next song in set.

Korg M3M is in the running, but even Korg rep. says he doesn't think the playback engine can stop automatically after each song. Emu Proteus also a possibility but i don't know much about them (sounds, or playback engine, or what type of storage?), along with Yamaha EX5r, or CS6r.

Every other unit I've researched has one but not the other (MPC: not great for tone generation, Roland Sonic Cell: no sequencer, etc.).

Are there others out there who have looked into the need for a convenient and simple all-in-one unit for all keyboard needs, without having to use multiple sources for various functions?

Any insight would be of great help! Thank you!

• Members

The reason a workstation is a keyboard and not a module is because it's much easier to use that way. Modules are passive devices, meant to be controlled from a distance, and grooveboxes lean much more the user's creative workarounds or a specific style.

All workstation module versions may contain a simple playback method; but that's only for previewing stuff.

Either you want too much in a wrong format, or there's just not demand enough for this.

• Members

Thanks for the reply. So when you say wrong format, what would you say is the right format for doing this? What is the simplest and most portable solution?

The songs are always evolving so we need to be able to make subtle changes to the sequences when on the road. For that reason, it would be a drag to have to keep updating on a laptop then feed everything back into another playback unit again & again.

The Korg M3m seems to come closest, but still the playback doesn't seem to quite do what I need for live.

• Members

Thanks guys, i am curious about the Proteus's playback capabilities, didn't see a contact # on EMU's website though.

Still curious about M3M's playback too, specifically standby or "wait" after a song is done.

All-in-one's are becoming obsolete it looks like, unless i'm not looking properly. Thanks!

Archived