How do you get this aphex twin synth sound?

KennethNishimot

• Members

Alright, this thread was inspired by another remarkably similar thread, but bear with me here.

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:39fwxqldldje

Click on the little speaker icon next to the track "Every Day"

There's this weird guitar sounding synth timbre, I reckon it's some sort of FM synthesis with portamento distortion and a wah, but I got no idea.

Anybody have any suggestions?

• Members

You are referring to the short, stacatto sound that more or less repeats two notes throughout the clip, right? I would guess it's a saw oscillator or two, without much filtration. Very short attack and release, full sustain on the envelope. There is a bitcrusher or some other highly digital distortion. I don't think you'd need FM.

• Members

There's this weird guitar sounding synth timbre, I reckon it's some sort of FM synthesis with portamento distortion and a wah, but I got no idea.

The staccato sound is like an atypical acid sound -- try a single sawtooth with a high-res filter enveloped and distorted -- run through a reverb unit and you're done. I think the Bassstation can do this type of sound very well, for instance, or any ol' TB-303 type softsynth. The other sound is a square wave type patch with a pretty open filter, from what I can tell.

• Members

Yeah, when I listened to the audio I was expecting some typical RDJ enigma but this was a pretty straightforward sound.

Can anyone tell me how he gets his lead sounds in, for instance SAW II and I Care Because You Do? The melancholic strings and voices that give each of the tracks on those albums a completely distinct emotional character (particular in SAWII)? I think he was at that time probably a master of FM programming unequaled by any save Eno.

I heard somewhere that the AFX stuff is a lot of old sequencer tracks from the early days (MC-4 tracks maybe?) fed into different synths at novel tempos. Can anyone comment on this?

• Members

remember- RDJ used a lot of his own DIY synths and software

And, reportedly, Matrix 1000 presets in Selected Ambient Works II. :)

I'd buy some sort of FM too... some textures are similar to Eno's Apollo, which is reportedly heavily DX7. When I had a DX27, I didn't think of it as ambient goodness (quite the opposite), but there's a load of difference between a 4-op and 6-op machine, and I didn't have a reverb back then that worked very well with the "crank dry/wet ratio to 100% wet" deal, that you need for a SAW II type sound.

• Members

pretty sure you can only get a sound like that by hand-coding a duplexed Mersienne generator with bivariable feedback and feeding the results into a discrete 32db/oct transitional harmonic filter. The reverb in this clip is unquestionably the room sound from an ancient Druid burial chamber (painted green, of course).

Archived