Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crystal Castles?

Does anybody know how they're getting their synth sounds? I saw them live a couple of weeks ago (and will again this Friday) and all I saw on stage was the girl singing, a drummer, and the guy with a Microkorg. I've read somewhere that he somehow had an Atari chip put into his synth to get the sounds. Is that even possible? Could they be using the Microkorg as a cotroller for softsynths? Any idea which ones might be used?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F29fGbm0a24

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RCXG7-K5Kg
    [SIZE="2"]Guitar Gear: Gibson '61 RI SG, Dean Cadillac Select, Charvel 475 Special, BC Rich NJ Bich, Gibson Faded V, MIM Strat, Warmoth Tele, LP Copy, Yamaha Acoustic, VHT Pittbull Fifty/ST, VOX VT30, Blackheart BH5H, '72 Hiwatt 4123 Cab, Traynor TS-50, POD XT, 16 ohm THD Hotplate, 80's Peavey Rage combo, Boss ME-50, Russian Big Muff, Graphic Fuzz
    Bass Gear: Fender P Bass (MIM), SX SJB-75C, SX SBG2, Traynor MonoBlock II, Yorkville 410B, SWR Basic 2 Way

overrated?

oops sorry i thought we were playing word association.

as far as ive heard it's all chopped up samples. the micro is used as a vocoder.

dont get me wrong, their cool, but I think they focus too hard on a gimmick and tha tkinda turns me off
    Give me my moog, but **** off you american techno rockstar! people in countries I've never been to do it better than you!

Computer Music Guide

Comment

Sounds like all Monomachine to me. Second one sounds like a bunch of Machinedrum-UW in the mix as well.
      Buy my book!
      http://www.facebook.com/UnderMKE

I make noise.
      http://www.facebook.com/allerian
      Listening Device on CDBaby

Comment

I saw "Crystal Castles" in the thread title and thought, "Cool, someone's gonna talk about that old arcade game..." How disappointing.
        Hurrr. Derp, derp, derp.

Comment

thatd be a good call ... but who knows

ive been suspcious for a year or so that there is a producer in canda churning out these indie pop bands

back on topic, there were a few videos over at matrix synth that sounded really similar, with some guy semi nude in a top hat. you could be onto something..
          Give me my moog, but **** off you american techno rockstar! people in countries I've never been to do it better than you!

Computer Music Guide

Comment

This is one of my favorite inspiring bits of game-style music - enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVVWEU_VkuA
            Buy my book!
            http://www.facebook.com/UnderMKE

I make noise.
            http://www.facebook.com/allerian
            Listening Device on CDBaby

Comment

i thought i read something about them using a gameboy... but maybe they were just referencing the 8-bit tones in general.

i actually enjoy their album. haven't seen them live though.
              Synths: Juno 60 | Evolver | Tetra | MFB Synth II | Moog Opus3 | JV-2080 | Electrix Warp Factory Vocoder
              Drum Machines: Korg ERmkII | MPC 1000
              Music: www.myspace.com/sleepyeyesofdeath

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricPuppy
                View Post

I saw "Crystal Castles" in the thread title and thought, "Cool, someone's gonna talk about that old arcade game..." How disappointing.

Me too. That was a fun game.

Originally posted by p120dUdE
                These are family forums, and many young kids come here and read them.

I am sure there will be no problems, but if there is, my moderation team will take action.

Originally posted by ChasIII
                Im so sick of keyboards. All this keyboard stuff people always use. All this keyboard synth talk all the time. I'm done with it. Never again.

Im thinking that at some point I will have to stop this and start doing other things. Any thoughts, feelings, or ideas?

Comment

This article has the producer claiming he put an Atari 5200 sound chip inside a keyboard he found in the trash. That'd be cool but this band is surrounded by so much hype I have a hard time believing it.

There are a lot of software emulations of sounds like this, and people have already mentioned the MonoMachine which has a hardware implementation of these types of sounds. And you can always sample old video games too!

Comment

Softsynths + Monomachine. They like to make stuff up in interviews, but who doesn't?

If you want that sound check out quadraSID, works for me.
                    www.myspace.com/theemergency

Comment

I'm seriously not getting the hype on this "band",the Pitchfork crowd( I read it everyday so.. ahem)eats this **************** up.Is it that interesting,new,innovative..why is this so special?...someone please clue me in!

I listened to it and was mildly annoyed by my misspent 2 minutes at hearing game music with a girl caterwauling over it.I like Diamanda Gal
                      I like my PolySix more than my Juno-60

Comment

for me it's the raw anxious quality of the tones and vocals... it's that marriage of technology and human emotion, it's microchips and circuit boards but the way it's all mashed together makes it sound alive.

yeah, they're completely hyped up right now. the album will likely sound dated in a few years, but right now it sounds exciting to me. maybe it's because i don't know how to achieve those kinds of tones and programming so the mystery of it hides the mediocrity you're hearing.

also, i'm not saying these guys are my new fav band... but it's fun brainless music that has it's place. JMHO.
                        Synths: Juno 60 | Evolver | Tetra | MFB Synth II | Moog Opus3 | JV-2080 | Electrix Warp Factory Vocoder

Comment

Quote Originally Posted by crazycarl
                          View Post

This article has the producer claiming he put an Atari 5200 sound chip inside a keyboard he found in the trash. That'd be cool but this band is surrounded by so much hype I have a hard time believing it.

Quoth the article:
                          Hurrr. Derp, derp, derp.

Comment

okay, that article pisses me off.

Comment

I saw them live a year or two ago and from what I could tell 95% of the music was coming from laptop (with a dramatic flourish the guy would press enter every four bars or so).

Microkorg for vocoder maybe and some other tones and an old yamaha pss for a few things.

I absolutely hated them, but could see how the band and others could have some fun with it. The hype machine is absolutely ridiculous on this one - but, no need to get mad at a couple of kids making a joyful noise who are getting chewed up by the aforementioned machine and spit out at you.
                              as of now: fusion 6hd, motif 6, rs7000 + siel MONO

Comment

Working...
                              X