Best Arpeggiator on a synth

• Members

I've been posting too many 'Best' threads when I do post, but let this be one of the last few.

What synths have the best arps on them? Any superior? What ones allow you to choose the note order (like a sequence)?

• Members

Korg Z1 gets my vote as one of the most flexible polyphonic arps on any synth out there. It has assignable notation, assignable gaps, gate adjust, and can be used multitimbrally in combi mode. Best thing about it: it sends the notation out as MIDI data (not just MIDI clock, as on most synths of that age), indispensible for arpeggiating my other synths that lack built-in arps or sequencers.

• Members

I really like what the Micron has to offer

... In fact, I'm thinking of bringing it out of hibernation (or displacing the X-Station) to arpower my Juno 106 ... among the things I like about it is the arp octave range can go positive AND minus ... I don't know why they're not all like that ... the mini sequencer is really the best and most simple to use I've ever experienced ...

I really need to get a third tier on my A-frame and get that Micron back into action ... (but then I keep saying I'm going to get the Europa upgrade for the JP-6 and that will take care of it ... apparently it does quite a bit to the Jupiter 6's arpeggiator ... )

• Members

V-synth? It has a pretty kick ass interface for programming your own arps, as well as a modulation sequencer...

edit: ooh, I forgot about the monomachine, it has a crazy arp on it also, it allows trigs of specific parameters.

cheers

ripe

• Members

V-synth? It has a pretty kick ass interface for programming your own arps, as well as a modulation sequencer...

edit: ooh, I forgot about the monomachine, it has a crazy arp on it also, it allows trigs of specific parameters.

cheers

ripe

Strangely ... I haven't gotten into the arp possibilites of my V-Synth yet ... though, admittedly, some of the arp preset patches are lovely ...

Guest Anonymous

Rolands arps are nice. I use my MC-909, V-Synth and Fantom XR arps all the time. Another synth with cool arps is the Virus. You should check out the time signatures a Virus offers.

• Members

The EmaxII was pretty special. At the time it had one of the most feature-laden arps. If you find the manual online you'll see what I mean.

On top of that the sampling was good, the SE synth engine was cool, and the special features like transform multiplication allowed morphs that were unique.

• Members

since the v-synth has already been covered...

kawai k5000s has 2 user assaignable arp pattern locations that rival the v-synth's in the ability to program sequences and have them arp back with key changes.

the ms-2000 has the motion sequencer which can be used aside from the onboard arp to "arpeggiate" control data for the filter or amp or osc waveform or pitch etc... 2 of em per patch plus the standard arp.

the novation supernova and supernova II have polyphonic user programmable arps and each arp pattern is saved to the synth independant of the patch so you can have up to 256 arp patterns plus have up to 8 of them running in a multi patch. if you assign the same preset in the multi 8 times you can override each preset's arp pattern so you can have a very complex arp pattern playing in multimode.

• Members

Oh, and each patch on a V-Synth is saved with its own arp settings, which is very cool, although there are times when one would really like to have the option of being able to have an arp that is not patch specific and you could move through different patches while the arp continues to play...

Not sure if there is some sort of performance mode workaround or not.

• Members

cheers

ripe

That gets my vote as well, if we are talking about arps. My V-synth XT allows me to write my own arp patterns and to edit them if needs be. A very cool feature, especially watching the patterns build on the touch display as I play the notes. Yes, these can regenerate the harmonies, subject, of course to the available polyphony, which is limited on the V.

Now, if we go beyond "arps", anything KARMA - the older red Karma, M3, or OASYS - not only yields a great variety of standard arps (all modifiable in real time), but a host of other Generated Effects called GEs. These latter have been likened to "arps on steroids". KARMA (Kay Algorithmic Realtime Music Architecture) is rather complicated to explain in a few sentences. If you are interested, check here http://www.karma-lab.com/karma/KARMA_FAQ_General.html

KARMA has been available for more than a few years now. The latest version, KARMA 2, is found in the OASYS and M3. But, it remains one of the most misunderstood and under appreciated music technologies, even by some Karma, OASYS and M3 owners. I've been using it for the last seven years now and there is absolutely no question that I will never be without it.

• Members

KARMA has been available for more than a few years now. The latest version, KARMA 2, is found in the OASYS and M3. But, it remains one of the most misunderstood and under appreciated music technologies, even by some Karma, OASYS and M3 owners. I've been using it for the last seven years now and there is absolutely no question that I will never be without it.

I completely agree

This is worthy of a book

Guest Anonymous

The problem with KARMA technology is it is attached to a Korg kb. The Karma kb, M3 and Oasys and all share a very happy sound. This usually causes the music created on them to be well...

...happy.

Sorry if I stepped on some Korg fanboy toes but, I can't stand most of the Triton, M3 and Oasys sounds.

Disclaimer. I have owned a few variations of Tritons and a Karma and find the only Korg sounds I real like are Wavestations, Micro-X and there Radias/MS2K stuff. There old analog stuff is also cool.

:wave:

• Members

The problem with KARMA technology is it is attached to a Korg kb.

I guess you and a number of other electronic musicians are long awaiting Stephen Kay's KARMA UNIVERSAL. I don't know when or if it will ever make it to the streets. Stephen gets inundated with too many other projects, so it sits on the back burner.

The Karma kb, M3 and Oasys and all share a very happy sound. This usually causes the music created on them to be well...

...happy.

You mean like this http://www.mediafire.com/?muk1x2b5bc9

Sorry if I stepped on some Korg fanboy toes but, I can't stand most of the Triton, M3 and Oasys sounds.

You didn't step on my toes. I, and thousands of others, including some very notoriously excellent keyboardists (Tony Banks, Jordan Rudess, Keith Emerson, Greg Phillinganes, Herbie Hancock, just to name a few) don't agree with you. But, hey, to each his own.

Guest Anonymous

I guess you and a number of other electronic musicians are long awaiting Stephen Kay's KARMA UNIVERSAL. I don't know when or if it will ever make it to the streets. Stephen gets inundated with too many other projects, so it sits on the back burner.

This is something I would check out. I have always been a Roland rompler fanboy and after Yamaha released the Motif a Yammie rompler fanboy. I like a lot of Korg products but, just not there romplers.

:thu:

Archived