Korg PA50 vs Yamaha PSR-3000

• Members

Hi..

I'm new to this website, and am planning to buy a keyboard to upgrade from my old Yamaha PSR-295 (I play for a prog/hard rock band in India). I've narrowed down to two options, Pa50 and PSR3000 in my price range.

I have played the Pa50 and I liked it except for the action of the keys. I couldn't lay my hands on a 3000 thats why I'd like to know how it compares to the Korg.

Thanks

Kartik

• Members

Have you looked at the PSR-S700? Are you really going to be using styles? If not, you might look at the Korg X-50 or the Roland Juno-G instead. The X-50 is basically a Triton TR without a sequencer/sampling, and it's very portable for gigs. The Juno-G is very expandable, can do limited sampling, and has a sequencer and 8 track audio workstation (4 stereo) capability.

• Members

Have you looked at the PSR-S700? Are you really going to be using styles? If not, you might look at the Korg X-50 or the Roland Juno-G instead. The X-50 is basically a Triton TR without a sequencer/sampling, and it's very portable for gigs. The Juno-G is very expandable, can do limited sampling, and has a sequencer and 8 track audio workstation (4 stereo) capability.

I am guessing that those keyboards would be really hard to find in India.

• Members

Yeah that is the case unfortunately..I'll definitely see if I can find a X-50 around here but I seriously doubt it..In my price range in Delhi there's only these 2 available, thats why I wanted some opinions on which would be better among these two..

• Members

Did the PSR-S900 replace the 3000?

The PSR-S700 and PSR-S900 are the replacements for the PSR-3000, and also inherit some features from the Tyros 2. The S900 has 128 polyphony, most of the Super Articulation! and Mega voices from the Tyros 2, a vocal harmonizer, larger full-color LCD, USB stereo WAV audio recording, and composite video out. The S700 has 96 polyphony and gets many of the Megavoices, but not these features. The S500 was also released at the same time, but it doesn't share the same design or features of the S700/S900. The PSR-OR700 is the oriental version with special scales, instruments, and styles unique to that market.

• Members

Between the PA50 and the PSR-3000, the PSR-3000 is the superior choice because of the higher 128 polyphony, advanced articulations of the Megavoices for midi/styles, good selection of high quality Cool!/Sweet!/Live!/Organ voices for your genre-rock, and dynamic layering of any two voices with an additional left hand split. The Megavoices are really important to get realistic sounding guitar/bass tracks because they have the slides/hammers/string noise/mute notes and other encoded articulations that make the voices come alive. Just beware that the Megavoices on the PSR-3000 are only designed to be used within styles or specially processed midi tracks and not live keyboard playing (except when you trigger midi to play via multipads). If you want weighted keys, you have the option of getting a midi controller to control the PSR-3000. The Vocal Harmonizer and mic effects could also be used by the band for the lead vocals because it has a noise gate, compressor, EQ, & Reverb. The PA50 doesn't have any of these features.

• Members

hmm thanks a lot xmlguy, perhaps out of the 2 the PSR is better, but how would it compare to a Korg TR or a JUNO? One more thing, is it worth getting both a MIDI controller as well as a keyboard, as in won't that just be a waste of the PSR-3000, problem is my budget is very tight, and I was looking for something that could give me the features I need + weighted keys in one package..

Thanks.

• Members

The Korg TR is a fine choice for your requirements. It has aftertouch and if you get the TR88, then you've got weighted hammer keys at a reasonable weight of 53lbs. You could add the EXB-SMPL card to add sampling to expand beyond the ROM waves.

The Juno-G is based on the more powerful Fantom-X workstation engine, but it lacks aftertouch and there's no weighted key version. From purely a music production view, the Juno-G is better than the TR due to the expandibility and audio-track capability. But for live performance, the TR88 sounds better for your situation, and even if you can only afford the TR61, it should work fine for rock for many years to come. The Triton engine is still a very powerful engine, even though it has now been surpassed by the M3.

If you're doing a mix of live performance and music production/recording, then the Juno-G is more flexible than the TR.

• Members

ok ok...then I guess the TR will suit me best, in my price range I guess I could get a TR-61 or a 2nd hand 76/88 from eBay..could you suggest which would be better?? are 2nd hand keyboards reliable?

Thanks

Kartik

• Members

Try to find a used TR88 that you can try for yourself or buy from a reputable source with a good return policy, in case there is a serious problem with it. Most used equipment is sold in good working condition here in the USA because lots of people buy good keyboards that remain at home and are well treated, then sell them when they lose interest. But I don't know about the used gear situation in India. You still need to check any keyboard carefully so that you don't get stuck with one that isn't working right. Used gear takes more time and effort to check-out in advance, but the money you save could be well worth it when you happen to find the mint-condition keyboard at a bargain price. Look for other used weighted 88s too, such as Fantoms, Motifs, or digital pianos that might work for you.

Archived