Roland Jv1010 software emulation?

• Members

Roland would surely sue the pants off of anybody that attempted such a thing ... And where are these programmers getting the source samples anyway?

Maybe Roland would do it ... But I don't think soon ... They're still using those basic sounds to this day ...

• Members

Roland would surely sue the pants off of anybody that attempted such a thing ...

Quite possibly, but given the amount of other instrument sample libraries out there on the 'bay (we have a few Motif ones here, actually... not that they get used these days and they were shit anyway) it's not unrealistic to assume someone may have done a JV related one.

I would guess that the "source material" would involve simply playing a few seconds of initialised program with each of the standard waveforms, trim, loop, throw on the pile. In any case it's hardly worth bothering with :)

• Members

Some of Rolands samples from their romplers and expansion boards are actually available, in much more detail and higher quality, on some of their old Roland sample CDs, and on some of the Spectrasonics products (since Eric Persing created a number of samples for them). There is a Roland General Midi product included with Cakewalk Sonar, although it's more along the lines of the Sound Canvas than a JV1010. Likewise, if you can still find the old Edirol VST products, you can get something along those lines too.

There are actually some very highly detailed (several DVD's worth) samples of Roland Romplers kicking around out there, which you see crop up on Ebay from time to time (Same goes for Korg and Yamaha products) but those are certainly not legal.

As of yet Roland (via Edirol) appears to be getting out of the general VST market, and instead is integrating a very limited number of things inside of Cakewalks Sonar (whom Roland now own a sizeable percentage of, but I can't remember if its a majority atm)

• Members

Let me get this right...the OP is asking about a copy of a copy?

V.

:confused: alright, so far im understanding about less than a quarter of what you guys are talking about....

Im a noob with all this vst, rom, rompler samples.....

What I was really trying to do is to get a software with the same sounds as the jv 1010 for comparison.

Im about to buy one of these two modules: jv1010 or korg wavestation, so I got the wavestation vst and got to hear and play well with the sounds, now I would like to do the same with the jv, so I can compare and decide wich one I get.

• Members

Between the JV and the Wavestation, I would say the JV is the better choice. The Wavestation is great, but isn't gonna give you the wide range of sounds that the JV will. I have a JV-1080 and I love it. I also have a Wavestation EX and love to program it and make cool textures and atmospheric pads, but it's not a do it all synth like the JV is. Also keep in mind that if you were playing with the Wavestation VST version 1.5 it also includes all of the PCM cards in it's waveform selection and you won't get all of those sounds right out of the box with any hardware Wavesation model without spending a fortune on PCM/PROGRAM card sets.

If you're interested in programming your own sounds, consider a JV-1080 also. They cost similar to 1010. The 1010, however, includes the 'Session' expansion board in the wave rom. Good luck...

• Members

:confused:
alright, so far im understanding about less than a quarter of what you guys are talking about....

Im a noob with all this vst, rom, rompler samples.....

VST is the name of the technology for the plugin, that's it for now.

ROM means Read Only Memory (e.g. like on a CD - once it's put on there you can't add or remove anything).

Rompler : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rompler

What I was really trying to do is to get a software with the same sounds as the jv 1010 for comparison.

There's no such thing. Korg has done it, but the Wavestation is relatively old technology (and therefore not a competitor for the newer hardware synths) but the samples of the JV can still be found in newer machines, which means that people won't buy them if they can get the much cheaper plugin.

so I got the wavestation vst and got to hear and play well with the sounds, now I would like to do the same with the jv, so I can compare and decide wich one I get.

http://www.synthmania.com/

• Members

Seems like the page is on vacation or something? I know that page, I heard the demos, here is a much better page (if anyone interested)

http://www.boduns.starlink.ru/MUSIC/DEMO%20SYNTH/roland%20jv-1010/

http://www.boduns.starlink.ru/MUSIC/DEMO%20SYNTH/korg%20wavestation%20sr/

You know, I hear the jv1010 kind of flatt sounding or is it just me? the wavestation seems to have a much somewhat "deeper" sound, because of the evolving pads maybe. Im looking for pads (and strings, and all those etereals atmospheric sounds, bells choirs..) mainly, not interested on pianos, or flutes or any acoustics.

On the other hand, versatility is one thing the jv has MUCH MORE then the wavestation, and I could use a nice bass too... but does the jv has GOOD pads? that can stand against wavestation

• Members

Out of your two options, go for the JV. You'll find it a lot more useful than the Wavestation and probably a lot less frustrating to menu-dive with.

I would go for it, if the jv has some GOOD pads (and those atmospheric, "ethereal" sounds, bells, choirs, strings bla bla...), almost as good as wavestation

• Members

The JV has great pads, bells, choirs, atmoshperic, angelic, evil. Also awesome strings that kick ass on the Wavestation. Again, you could get a JV-1080 and throw in the "Vintage Synth" expansion and have some amazing pads! Wavestation pads evolve and morph and what not (wavesequencing), but the JV is capable of plenty great pad sounds.

Pads is what the wavestation does best. But, that's really the only thing it really excels at IMO, oh, and puchy, percussive digital stabs and bells, etc. The Wavestation has a very brilliant, digital, shimmering sound to it. It can do analog warm pads somewhat, as well, but the JV is an all around more diverse instrument.

• Members

You know, I hear the jv1010 kind of flatt sounding or is it just me? the wavestation seems to have a much somewhat "deeper" sound, because of the evolving pads maybe. Im looking for pads (and strings, and all those etereals atmospheric sounds, bells choirs..) mainly, not interested on pianos, or flutes or any acoustics.

On the other hand, versatility is one thing the jv has MUCH MORE then the wavestation, and I could use a nice bass too... but does the jv has GOOD pads? that can stand against wavestation

• 4 weeks later...

Archived