Ensoniq VFX-SD / SD-1

Acid Hazard

• Members

Do a search.

The Ensoniq VFX-SD and SD-1 have been glorified many times and rightfully so. I have one and would never sell it. If it works for $100 its a total steal. I would buy it just as a back-up for that price.

I doubt you will be able to do a straight trade for a ESQ but good luck.

I sure miss Ensoniq!

• Members

jones for a beter synth than the sd-1...

go for a ts-10 or asr-10 about the same price for the ts and the asr allows you to sample yourself.

the sd-1 is a transwave sample playback synth with crappy non resonant filters.

the ts-10 is the same synth with more waveforms and effects that are actually good and a better keybed and is more reliable.

or get a fizmo better interface and transwaves.

the esq-1 is actually a better sounding synth than the sd or vfx because of it's filtering abilities and grainy 8 bit samples.

• Members

I know what the VFX/SDs are. I know they don't have "cool analog filters". But it's not about the filters. If i need one, i'll run it through my Filter Factory. Don't need a sampler. I've had about a bazillion ESQs in my life so far =o] I always seem to come into them for cheap. The ESQ is a great synth, but i have enough analogues, i want something with an edge to it. And the VFX/SDs have always captured my interest. I'm sure no one will trade, but i gotta try =o]

• Members

jones for a beter synth than the sd-1...

go for a ts-10 or asr-10 about the same price for the ts and the asr allows you to sample yourself.

the sd-1 is a transwave sample playback synth with crappy non resonant filters.

the ts-10 is the same synth with more waveforms and effects that are actually good and a better keybed and is more reliable.

or get a fizmo better interface and transwaves.

the esq-1 is actually a better sounding synth than the sd or vfx because of it's filtering abilities and grainy 8 bit samples.

This is about the worst advice imaginable. Sure, theres some legitimate information in there, but the original poster loves the VFX.

If you've ever actually listened to all the synths you mention, you'd realize that none of them sound anything alike. TS-10 sounds like an SD-1? Not in the slightest. Fizmo sounds nothing like a TS-10 or SD-1. ESQs sound nothing like a VFX, TS-10, ASR-10, SQR, etc.

There is no equivalent to the VFX/SD-1 sound within Ensoniqs other instruments. If its the VFX sound you're after, get a VFX.

• Members

You can have mine, but it doesn't work. There's corrosion on part of the circuit board and probably a fried chip or two. I love the VFX - polyphonic aftertouch and the oh so rare release velocity - but it's definitely a frustrating synth to own.

Archived