Fantom x6 or Motif rack XS

reptile82

• Members

I currently have a cheap yamaha PSR 630. I was thinking of buying a fantom x6. Then I thought about getting a motif rack xs. would it work with the keyboard I have? Forgive me, I have no knowledge of this stuff. Should I just get the fantom x6? I am looking for great acoustic sounds. Pianos... strings... and so on.

• Members

unfortunately, I cant find a fantom x local to try. I have listened to sound samples online, cant say if they justify. I was impressed by the XS in person. I like the grand piano sound of the roland, that is the sound sample online. Its still a hard decision. unless I just go with the cheapest option, which would be the rack (about 1,299 vs 1,495 for the fantom x6). I do agree with you on the sound of the roland vs yamaha however. Thanks for your reply.

• Members

Diametro's advice is spot on. The Fantom's action is very different from the Yammy's, IMHO, and it's probably more upgradable (4 SRX boards). Plus you can download a ton of new, free sounds for the Fantom from Roland's website. Roland's site isn't the easiest to use, so you might seek some advice from rolandclan.

• Members

I currently have a cheap yamaha PSR 630. I was thinking of buying a fantom x6. Then I thought about getting a motif rack xs. would it work with the keyboard I have? Forgive me, I have no knowledge of this stuff. Should I just get the fantom x6? I am looking for great acoustic sounds. Pianos... strings... and so on.

My 2 cents having owned an Motif Classic Rack and Motif ES Rack, and currently own a Fantom X-Rack.

If your only keyboard to use is the PSR-I'd never use that inferior keybed VS the Fantom's. In this case I'd get get the Fantom. It's not like the Fantom is light years better or worse than the Yamaha XS, but I will say the X6 has a very intuitive interface (Color Screen VS the rack XS) real time knobs for midi controlling, usable pads that help out, skip back playback to name the notables. Don't let interfaces sway you away from one board or the other. Make your choice based on the sounds. If you're a tweaker or like to "create" custom sounds identify the editing parameters and then choose...In my opinion both aren't very great for editing nor as fluid as say the Triton Extreme (discon-Korg)

Depending on your style of play some sound banks will be better on one board and less than better on the other. When people talk about other synths they haven't owned YMMV in that regard.

The Fantom is a Solid board, however the Yamaha XS sound quality is noticeable and better. The Super Articulation Voices borrowed from the Tyros line are noteworthy to play...If you need a sampler or sequencer then the XS is a no go right off the bat-it's a true "sound module" in the truest sense of that moniker.

Good luck, and let us know what you get.

Used market Fantom X6's have been going for about 1 grand USD in my area....An X8 about 1500.00

• Members

well, if I was to go with the rack, I was planning on buying an 88 key KB later. I think ultimately I just want to make a wise decision on what to invest in right now without regrets. I am leaning strongly on getting the fantom x6. However I might wish for the x8 later. Great Piano sounds are my main concern. Thank you for your replies. It has helped me alot. I will post my decision when I make it.

• Members

well, if I was to go with the rack, I was planning on buying an 88 key KB later. I think ultimately I just want to make a wise decision on what to invest in right now without regrets. I am leaning strongly on getting the fantom x6. However I might wish for the x8 later. Great Piano sounds are my main concern. Thank you for your replies. It has helped me alot. I will post my decision when I make it.

Well, I may have some bad news if you are a stickler for "great" piano sounds (as I am) ....The Fantom G doesn't have "great" piano sounds;)

Neither does the Fantom X.

Overall both have decent pianos, but the Yamaha still has that "PSR" sound-pulse code modulation on certain octaves.

The Roland lacks the right dynamics but its playable.

The Rock style piano on the Roland sounds pretty good, until you play more than 4 notes at once or sustain them.

I'm basing my experience playing on real pianos. Not trying to be a picky SOB. Noting synth is perfect but the TOTL Yamaha Clavinova gets my vote, the New Tryos 3 is MUCH improved over the XS.

• Members

I prefer the Fan-X piano over the Motif pianos and Fan-G (which seems to have taken on more of that percussive Motif tone) ... All I can think of when playing a Motif "piano" is the sound of icepicks ... which perhaps can be effective in a band situation. But playing "solo piano" I'd take the X any day ...

I find the Fan-X's grand piano patch

• Members

Obviously I am a bit biased because I "wrote the book" ;) on Motifs; HOWEVER; I recently purchased an X6 for some inspiration. I had to return it because I was so disappointed in the sounds. They are VERY thin and uninspiring. I can also testify that the pianos are not even close to the quality and sampling depth Roland puts in their , e.g., RD700 models.

Motif XS has the best stock pianos around in my opinion. Then again, the Motif XS has the best sounds period.

But again, I am biased. ;)

Mark

• Members

Oh well, you don't really like the Roland piano and prefer Yamaha. Some of us are the opposite.

I'd have to say the S90ES does have a better piano than the Rolands, but the Roland has a very good piano in the SRX-11.

I'm not really sold on any Motif pianos.

I don't prefer any piano patch because all of them simply lack the proper dynamics. The Roland may have that piano sound when you hit it but it comes up short.

The Yamaha Motifs, and the S90ES have a middle octave that sounds like it came from a PSR-like the $299.00 boards. Side by side compare them and you'll see a yucky similarity.

The only synth piano I like is from the Top of the line Clavinova- A better Tyrosesque Stage piano that costs about 10 grand.

Srx 11 you say? I may try that.

Are they better than the stock Fantom X sounds?

• Members

I don't prefer any piano patch because all of them simply lack the proper dynamics. The Roland may have that piano sound when you hit it but it comes up short.

The Yamaha Motifs, and the S90ES have a middle octave that sounds like it came from a PSR-like the $299.00 boards. Side by side compare them and you'll see a yucky similarity.

The only synth piano I like is from the Top of the line Clavinova- A better Tyrosesque Stage piano that costs about 10 grand.

Srx 11 you say? I may try that.

Are they better than the stock Fantom X sounds?

I think it's a very noticeable difference from Ultimate to SRX-11, even if it's still a Roland piano with its heavy mids and all.

So if you like pianos that are more like Yamaha's you still might not like it. But I think it's down to personal taste.

• Members

I didn't think you could load anything into the motif-rack xs, You have to have the workstation right?

Well, I might just hold off a while from making the purchase. I might regret getting the x6 and wishing for the x8. I just cant afford anything at 2 grand or more right now. I know that none of the KB have perfect piano sounds. I just hate the sounds on this PSR. The XS sounds compared to the low end yamahas are night and day, thats why I considered the rack for now. Anyway, Its about money. If I had enough I would consider the x8, xs8 or maybe the m3. Just cant do it right now.

• Members

I didn't think you could load anything into the motif-rack xs, You have to have the workstation right?

Well, I might just hold off a while from making the purchase. I might regret getting the x6 and wishing for the x8. I just cant afford anything at 2 grand or more right now. I know that none of the KB have perfect piano sounds. I just hate the sounds on this PSR. The XS sounds compared to the low end yamahas are night and day, thats why I considered the rack for now. Anyway, Its about money. If I had enough I would consider the x8, xs8 or maybe the m3. Just cant do it right now.

Uh, hello? Is this thing on?

Craigslist....type in "Roland Fantom" in the search function...Call....negotiate $1500.00 for a Fantom X8?....Smile:)

• Members

Oh well, you don't really like the Roland piano and prefer Yamaha. Some of us are the opposite.

I'd have to say the S90ES does have a better piano than the Rolands, but the Roland has a very good piano in the SRX-11.

I'm not really sold on any Motif pianos.

OH HAI DIAMETRO PT. 2

:wave:

Archived