Your favorite chorus (onboard or standalone)

Teoman

• Members

I would like to learn your opinions on this topic. Honestly I didn't hear too much chorus choices, but I think Juno-106 chorus is the sweetest, thickest, warmest and lushest, blah blah chorus to my taste. Digitals are okay to a certain extent, but nowhere near to the Juno chorus. Surprisingly, cheap Behringer Virtualizer Pro has some lusher than lush algorithms. I have a Boss CE-5 as well, but it doesn't taste that delicious on synths. Any idea on this? Or is there a rack format unit that does synth oriented chorus quite well (in a Juno way) and easy to find?

• Members

Rack chorus I really like the Korg SDD-3300 or SDD-1200.

Boss made a CE-300 rackmount chorus that is like the stomp boxes, but it is designed for low level signals like guitar and it doesn't like line level stuff like synths. You need a level shifter or you will distort the box.

• Members

Rack chorus I really like the Korg SDD-3300 or SDD-1200.

Boss made a CE-300 rackmount chorus that is like the stomp boxes, but it is designed for low level signals like guitar and it doesn't like line level stuff like synths. You need a level shifter or you will distort the box.

Strangely, my CE-5 tends to work with giutars, but not with my synths. If those Korg choruses are vintage, I have to look at the ebay auctions.

Edit: SDD-3300 is mentioned as a triple digital delay. It must have extra chorus maybe...

• Members

I've always liked the chorus on Everybody Wants to Rule the World. Great bridge too.

:D

Slight tangent, and in full acknowledgement of Eric's riff on the ambiguity of the word chorus, I say this:

The middle of TFF's Head Over Heels track has the one of the best examples of flanging I've ever heard. Better than ELO's Medievil Woman, even.

Back on topic: best chorus? I really liked the MKS-70 chorus. Not sure if it's the same as the other MKS's. :thu:

• Members

The Boss CE-300. It's supposed to be very close to the Juno 6/60/106 chorus. I use it with synths without problems and it gives my Nord a Juno personality. There are inputs on the back and in the front, just chose the right one and it work correctly.

• Members

My vote for the best chorus unit of all goes to the Eventide H8000FW. No other unit in my experience has the potential or control available to realize so many different, and euphonic, chorus colors.

As it concerns a dedicated chorus unit, I give high marks to the Roland SDX-330 Dimensional Expander. From vintage to modern, subtle to over-the-top, this box can do it all. Multi-voice, DimD, Solina ensemble, and other algos make this box a keeper.

The Roland SDD-320 Dimension D is tops if you need a spatial stereo chorus that does not swirl or introduce pitch warble. I think the Dimension sound is one of the best analog sweeteners ever realized. I can't wait for the super-clone of the DimD being created by Jurgen Haible.

The Kurzweil KSP8 can generate some great chorus colors, especially given its DSP power and available filtering, shaping, and warmth tools. Multi-channel operation allows for rich ensemble effects and thick, layered chorus tones that go way beyond usual chorus sounds.

A quick mention for two multi-effects that can do great chorus - the Sony DPS-V77, with its twin engines, EQ blocks, and multiple chorus algos, can achieve many colored, musical chorus tones. The t.c. electronic M3000, with its twin engines and six-voice detune shifter algo, can be programmed to do lush-yet-icy static chorus tones, especially when cascading serially to get 36 microshifts.

I use 3 other analog devices to get chorus tones - the ensemble section of a Roland RS-505 Paraphonic, which is a super-lush multi-line analog BBD effect - the chorus section of a Roland SRE-555 Chorus Echo tape delay - and the cheap and cheerful analog swirl of a Boss CE-300 rack.

My choices for analog chorus pedals include:

cheers,

Ian

• Members

The good thing of the SDX-330 is that it models all these choruses. For my taste the CE-1 to CE-3 do color the sound pretty tough, I prefer the SDD models or the space choruses.

What is interesting about the CE-1/3 models in the SDX-330 Dimensional Expander is that a large part of the coloring is the EQ settings. Try it - zero out the EQ on the vintage chorus presets that recreate the CE-series stuff, and you get a fairly neutral chorus tone. That said, I like the color - on some synth patches from my Nord Mod they are golden.

FWIW, the SDX-330 doesn't sound like a CE-1 in use - nothing does, really. That's OK - the SDX-330 sounds great, regardless of emulation accuracy. So many colors, so tweakable, all with that Roland color of the early 90s.

Works a treat on Roland JD-990 pads and atmospheres!

cheers,

Ian

• Members

Thanks Ian. It seems that SDX-330 or the CE-300 are the first ones to look for. I see the triple delay theory. The problem is that I don't feel a strong bond to effects programming as much as the synth programming. As far as the effects go, I better choose simple to program alternatives. Depth, speed and dry/wet ratio are all I am interested. :lol: Wow guys ! Lots of alternatives and suggestions there :thu:

• Members

I see the triple delay theory. The problem is that I don't feel a strong bond to effects programming as much as the synth programming. As far as the effects go, I better choose simple to program alternatives. Depth, speed and dry/wet ratio are all I am interested.

The Roland SDX-330 Dimensional Expander can be used in a simple manner like that, but has a bit more depth - if and when you need it - all while sounding great.

cheers,

Ian

Archived