Sound Design - who are the geniuses?

nat whilk II

• Members

Can't think of when I've seen a discussion of the who's who of sound designers. Did a search, and the topic comes up here and there, but I don't see people mentioning their heroes, nor do I see people posting up examples of sound design-per se very much.

I suppose this includes the preset programmers as well as the artists issuing stuff. But I don't want yet another dump-on the presets rant-fest with this, por favor.

I'll throw out the names that come to mind:

in the ambient field, I suppose Robert Rich comes up with the unique sounds that interest me more often than anyone else I can think of. Steve Roach does his magic with a bit more stock-sound approach. Geir Jenssen (Biosphere) has a unique gift for the right-but-very-strange sound.

Of course R James will be on most folk's list.

For preset programmers I'll vote for John Bowen and the Prophet5 soundset.

nat whilk ii

• Members

absolutely Biosphere. my sound design hero and prob main inspiration. i've been loving the Solaris soundtrack lately by Cliff Martinez, gonna have to check out more of his stuff.

and Angelo Badalamenti has does some really great sound design in Lynch's movies. his music is cool on its own but he does some intense incidental effects throughout a lot of the films that are very powerful.

David Lynch himself is a great sound designer too. The Eraserhead score is pure madness.

• Members

I've got a copy of the Clif Martinez soundtrack for Traffic - another nice bit of work by him.

The more I think about this topic, the wider the concept of "sound design" grows in my mind.

- soundtracks

- foley (have to give whoever the foley artist is for Tarantino's movies a two big thumbs up)

- synth voice presets

- synth programming for specific tracks

- sample manipulation, non-musical sounds

- sample manipulation, musical sounds

- have to mention Reaktor synth creations by people like Richard Devine and Lazyfish.

- sample set creators with outfits like East West, Spectrasonics, etc.

and old school patch-writers from back in the day when creating and selling/sharing patches was the big deal....people like the K2000 wizards Cowzar and Daniel Fischer...

it's a big area with a lot of folks -

nat whilk ii

• Members

Above is a link to a page with a whole bunch of the all-too-well-known sounds and a bit of history on them.

nat whilk ii

...hhmmm...the loser who runs it has not updated that page in ages

It would be great if he could at least add some videos on how those sounds were made.

tsk, tsk..

-

• Members

Cool to see Geir Jenssen getting some love, most people I know have never heard of Biosphere. Substrata would be one of my top ten albums evar, no question. Anyone heard the live album him and HIA did called Polar Sequences? They were commisioned to do a live show on top of a mountain in Norway, sampled the lift and mechanisms going up, the ice cracking, everything in the immediate environment, then put it together once they were up there. The resulting album is better than most peoples studio efforts.

rbadcd17.jpg

substrata.jpg

Autechre definitely deserve mentioning, those guys are brilliant sound designers, more so than RDJ, and have spawned a legion of imitators, some of whom are very good in their own right.

Archived