Desktop Evolver or Mopho.Your choice?

LePera

• Members

I've got both and I think they're different sounding machines. The Mopho shouldn't be overlooked if you're wanting a more traditional synth sound. Sure it sounds like a DSI but It's got some vibe to it that might be more useful for your above stated genres. The Evolver is capable of "traditional" sounds as well but it just doesn't have the same "heavy hand" as the Mopho with it's sub oscillators and 100% analog signal path. The Evolver has some high quality AD/DA converters in it's signal path so it sounds great but not quite as "analog". The Evolver is likely better suited for experimental or aggressive music styles. It's naturally a "wild stallion" that's not always easy to tame and sometimes takes you places you never planned on going. I love it for this reason and if I had to chose between them I'd keep my Evolver but you personally might find more solace with a Mopho.

• Members

Pysch music could work well with the evolver. Noticably the presets are aggressive. I think both could work, the Evolver can cover more ground and will take to many different places. The Mopho I think will give you a good base for pop and is probably more straight forward, with more traditional analog sounds.

• Members

It's rare to see an Evo at less than $400 used now. The Evolver covers far more sonic territory than the Mopho does. But the Mopho has tighter EGs for those really nice tight punchy bases. The Evo has it's digital Oscillators and wild modulation routings. I guess it all depends on how much you like eithers' sound.

• Members

I'm going for the Mopho first.

I've got an upcoming dub band/project and it's going to take the place of my bass guitar.

I want an evolver too, I'll add a desktop one later when I got the cash and feel proficient with the Mopho. Two voices would be all I'd need, the mopho holding down the bass and the evolver doing textures, pads, rhythmic effects and/or leads.

Add a decent live drummer and I'm in heaven.

Ooh I can't wait.

• Members

I've got a mochika 2 coming. Looks much cooler than either of those pieces of Moose jerky.

HA HA HA!! You mean those pathetic plastic devices made in a 3rd world country that look like a knock off Lite-Brite from the Dollar Tree and sound like a cheap Tiger hand held video game being played over a drifting shortwave radio??

No thanks.

• Members

HA HA HA!! You mean those pathetic plastic devices made in a 3rd world country that look like a knock off Lite-Brite from the Dollar Tree and sound like a cheap Tiger hand held video game being played over a drifting shortwave radio??

No thanks.

Yeah. Those. You can see through 'em man. In any case, we all know that nothing made in a 3rd world country can be any good. But I didn't know that you've used one. Please post about your experiences in more detail.

• Members

Plaid's probably right that the Mopho is the more "traditional" of the two. I've thought about the Mopho and took some steps to buy one, but the lack of interface turned me off. I had an Evolver for a while and never got into it, just lacked whatever it was that I was looking for. But it's got a lot more bang for the buck compared to the Mopho and if you know how to program synths it might be closer to what you're after. Unfortunately, the terms you use to describe the synth you're after aren't helpful.

The "third world" distinction is so 20th century. Analog gear that's hand built by someone with skill and passion is the same whether it's made in America or Kazakhstan. Or did you not get the globalization memo? :facepalm:

• Members

Yeah. Those. You can see through 'em man. In any case, we all know that nothing made in a 3rd world country can be any good. But I didn't know that you've used one. Please post about your experiences in more detail.

I haven't used one. My "experiences" are relegated to watching these seriously unimpressive videos. Honestly I considered buying one when I first heard about them a year or two ago because I thought it might be a fun toy for the kids to dick around with. Then I saw their little distribution scheme. Ebay ONLY with NO "buy it now" option? LAME. As if their products were so damn special and in demand they could justify pissing off potential buyers with that crap. Forcing someone to win bidding wars to obtain your product is tacky and rather greedy in my opinion. I could understand this if you're selling rare items that are no longer produced or antique items of potential high value. But c'mon!!! It's not like you're going to see a Mochika at Sotheby's. Either you want to sell me the goddamn product or you don't.

They've since switched to "buy it now" options on their gear but I'm not interested. IF I were going to buy something like that it would be from these guys instead: http://www.chimerasynthesis.com/

And yes. From my experiences, most products made in third world nations are {censored}.

• Members

I haven't used one. My "experiences" are relegated to watching
. Honestly I considered buying one when I first heard about them a year or two ago because I thought it might be a fun toy for the kids to dick around with. Then I saw their little distribution scheme. Ebay ONLY with NO "buy it now" option? LAME. As if their products were so damn special and in demand they could justify pissing off potential buyers with that crap. Forcing someone to win bidding wars to obtain your product is tacky and rather greedy in my opinion. I could understand this if you're selling rare items that are no longer produced or antique items of potential high value. But c'mon!!! It's not like you're going to see a Mochika at Sotheby's. Either you want to sell me the goddamn product or you don't.

They've since switched to "buy it now" options on their gear but I'm not interested. IF I were going to buy something like that it would be from these guys instead:

And yes. From my experiences,
most
products made in third world nations are {censored}.

Ok. Cool. You haven't tried one, then. For the most part, I think that most demos suck, or show sounds and playing that doesn't interest me. In any case, the worst experience thus far was that it was held up 3 days in customs, or else I'd have it by now. Pretty much, either it will suck, or not suck - so it will be interesting to see. Personally though, the fact that it is made in Peru is something that I find cool, and my inclination isn't to ignore it simply because it is made in a poor country.

• Members

Personally though, the fact that it is made in Peru is something that I find cool, and my inclination isn't to ignore it simply because it is made in a poor country.

Actually I do think this aspect is kind of cool in a way. I'm not totally ignoring it for that reason alone. It's mostly that I don't dig the sounds I've heard and from the images I've seen it appears to be cheaply made. I was worried that it might not withstand regular use by the kids (and the ebay thing obviously left a bad taste in my mouth). Let us know what the build quality is like when you get it.

Archived