MPC roll-call

ElectricPuppy

• Members

In my current flush of excitement over my pending MPC, I thought I'd start an MPC thread! W00t!

Who here owns one? What's your favorite feature? (Please no whining about what they've screwed up or done wrong.) I'd like to hear about the interesting things I can do with this beastie.

GO!!

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Did have MPC 2000 at one point, would love another.

Pads are awesome. Midi timing is spot on. Sequencer is amazingly fluid and intuitive to use. Designed by Roger Linn, what more can you say? Best sampling drum machine ever (potential competition notwithstanding). *winks*

• Members

I'm really looking forward to the sequencing. I plan to stick my Virus TI on one port, the Motif Rack on another and the remaining non-multi synths on the other two.

If I can start cranking some tracks in a hurry without having to point and click a bunch of tiny UI crap on my PC, I'll be PLEASED.

• Members

I really want an MPC but am not sure which to get. Anyone have any good reading material on the matter?

I actually thought that Akai's own user manuals on their MPCs is interesting reading. My feeling is that the machines let you get down to brass tacks quickly without burying you in options. This appeals to me.

• Members

I'm really looking forward to the sequencing. I plan to stick my Virus TI on one port, the Motif Rack on another and the remaining non-multi synths on the other two.

If I can start cranking some tracks in a hurry without having to point and click a bunch of tiny UI crap on my PC, I'll be PLEASED.

You'll be pleased. I use that little 500 to sequence all my hardware and software (that includes a TI) and it's a helluva a lot more fun than screwing with Ableton's MIDI looping strangeness. For some reason when I record a MIDI sequence in Live, half the time it'll shift the first few notes back or forwards. I don't have that problem with the MPC.

• Members

I've accepted that I am going to need Kontakt as my main turn-sample-into-almost-synth-instrument device, but would love to have a hardware sampler that I can use for playing beats + simple sample triggers. Plus I really really want a hardware sequencer and people to seem to love the MPC for this.

• Members

Happy face is happy! Oh and EP, you were asking about having to go to your computer for audio. Now, I'm not sure about this, but burster1 can correct me: I believe that with your max'd out MPC, you can resample your main outs into RAM and then write the WAV to disk. So, you'd take your mixer main outs and plug them into the MPC inputs, and press play, and... something.

I haven't read that part properly yet. Burster1!!!!!???? :D

• Members

MPC1000 - easiest sequencer for multiple synths - I prefer it to using a software based sequencer because of how simple it is to mute/unmute and do retakes/overdubs.

I have JJ0S 2 and I'm sad to say that I've barely started to use it for sampling/sample playback. I would have picked one up even if it was only a sequencer.

Hamburglar: check out the comments in the MPC forums regarding the JJ OS. It's not Kontact but it has taken a big step towards use as a full fledged sampler.

• Members

Owned the blue 1000, maxed it out, sold it before the pads died. The well-worn pads on an MPC2000XL are preferable to the default stiff ones on the 1000.

Loved:

- note repeat button

- compact size

- decent .wav compatibility

- modern storage media

Disliked:

- glacial loading speeds from CF

- not enough dedicated buttons, pushing WINDOW like mad

- tap tempo doubles as note repeat

• Members

I have a black MPC1000 and am using the free JJOS. For me it's the best MPC in terms of price/form-factor/performance.

I mainly just wanted something with which I could trigger drum samples, without resorting to the computer. The MPC does that and a lot more. It's been pretty simple to learn to use, although like most things, there are some weird quirks.

I usually trigger it from the Handsonic because I prefer its pads over the MPC's. Once I created patches at both ends that map the note numbers to the pads, the rest is smooth sailing.

I've got a 2GB memory card in it loaded with samples from Kontakt, Battery and the NI Electronic Drums series.

I'm liking it. :thu:

• Members

How good are are these at multitracking audio? I can't multitrack a Voyager with MIDI, for instance. I assume I need to get them a hard drive of decent size?

Can you record something in MIDI and then decide to bounce it down to audio?

I imagine choosing parts of audio to use out of that small screen might be hard.

• Members

yeah, you'll be plenty happy with it then.

i had the 2000xl for a few years and was very happy with it. sold it because i was tryng to get away from 'normal' pattern writing, and because i needed the money at the time. bad idea, though a few buttons started to 'drop' because the assembly had cracked inside. also hated that it couldn't easily be mounted on my stand due to the way the front of it was designed. got a black 1000 when they came out but returned it to buy a laptop and Ableton, which was a good choice overall. plan to buy a 2500 within the next few months which will basically complete my setup.

EDIT: anyone else not give a damn about the LinnDrum II? i honestly couldn't care less. and this Beat Thang? nigga, please...

• Members

I have a Korg ER-1 and an ES-1 and love them for their quick X0X programming but now I want a "grown up" drum machine with more detailed sound sculpting, a better build and more memory.

I've tried the Jomox products and hate them for their fiddly interface and {censored}ed-up workflow...very unintuitive. I've tried the Roland MV8800 and really dislike it for its compartmentalized workflow and fiddly UI - seems like way too many steps just to do simple things. The E-mu XP-1 was also needlessly complex for its meager UI and tiny screen, plus there's no user samples. :(

So, based on the above, let me ask a nwebie-style question: Would an MPC 500/1000 be a good choice for me? As an aside, I kind of hate what the Electribes have mutated into, so I'm not immediately interested in an ESX1 or whatever it's called.

Whaddya guyz think?

Archived