Ack! The dreded VFX-SD Keyboard Calibration Error

Acid Hazard

• Members

Not a big deal to solve. The contact circuit board under the keys is split into two sections; right and left. They are interconnected with a side mount multi-pin connector. This connector can become oxidized resulting in a poor connection and a failed calibration. The solution is to replace the connector with a short length of ribbon cable or individual wires that are soldered into the connector tracings on the left and right circuit boards creating a hard-wired connection. As I remember there are 10 pins, but I may be mistaking; it will be obvious once you take a look.

Here is a possible momentary solution to the problem (this doesn't work all of the time, but I have had good luck with it in a pinch): With the power off, place you palm in the middle of the keyboard, grabbing a few keys above and below the central 'F' key and slowly press into the keybed. Release and do this again several times. What you are trying to do is clean the pins within the faulty connector by flexing the keybed. Let go of the keys, power up and cross your fingers.

Good luck,

Dave

Archived