TRS Cables

35miles

• Members

Like a dumb ass I bought some Monster keyboard cables to run to my monitors. The PC3 has balanced outs and best I can tell the Monsters are not TRS cables. Like a real dumb ass I no longer have the packaging for the Monsters, so I'm sure I can't take them back to Guitar Center. I'm thinking of spending the money for some TRS cables from Bayou Audio Cables (thanks for the link in another thread). If I buy them is it a good move or wasted money? The manual says TRS cables are recommended. Why?

• Members

TRS or Tip RING SLEEVE are either used for balanced signals or stereo unbalanced ones. I dont know of any monitors ( I assume they are powered speakers by your description) that run on unbalanced lines. What's so confusing is that you say the manual "recommends" TRS cables. Are you speaking of the manual for the monitors? Is the PC3 you write of the Kurzweil keyboard? And are you trying to plug it directly into your powered monitors?

If this is the case I don't recommend it.

• Members

Miles,

You paid for that feature in your keyboard. Why not use it?

1. Your synth has balanced OUTs,

2. Your monitors have balanced INs,

3. The manual recommends using balanced.

You've got all the reasons in the world to use balanced. It's no wasted money.

Also, you'll need 2 pairs of TRS cables if it's synth--->audio interface--->monitors [assuming the interface has balanced INs & OUTs].

I bought my cables from Bayou, but they're TS [unbalanced] since none of my synths has TRS OUTs [balanced].

The manual says TRS cables are recommended. Why?

Matched connections are always better, plus you typed it yourself [from your manual]:

"...use stereo cables for a better signal-to noise ratio and a bit more volume".

The advantage with balanced connections is that you can run very long cables without noise pickup, which is not the case with unbalanced cables.

balancedph9.jpg

Archived