The Legendary DX7 Hypra-ROM Cartridge

Yoozer

• Members

Audio demo: http://www.theheartcore.com/music/hypra-rom.mp3

Presets in this order: Backline 1, Backline 3, C.Bass, CP 80b, PPG Vol. 5, OCEAN BAY, Wurlitzer, Synclav. 3

Effects added : Only Ableton's own Chorus/Ping-Pong Delay/Reverb (and not even all at the same time).

The Hypra-ROM cartridge is a rare special cartridge for the DX7 which has 3 switches on top - 1 from A-D, 1 from 1-4, 1 with Alpha and Beta, resulting in 4 x 2 x 4 banks - which means 32 x 32 = 1024 presets for the DX7.

The preset names lack any kind of actual consistency, which leads me to believe that these have been gathered from several sources.

Anyway, here's all the banks dumped as System Exclusive (SysEx) files.

The hypra-rom-full.zip contains a concatenated SysEx dump, which means you can import them in one fell swoop into FM8.

Enjoy!

• Members

Good sounds, but I believe these voices represent the old school of FM programming, like the original ROMs. In this case 'old school' doesn't mean better. A lot of these sounds rely on external effects, while the DX7 can do so much more on its own. I still think many of those patches are very well programmed and extremely playable (with effects).

• Members

Good sounds, but I believe these voices represent the old school of FM programming, like the original ROMs.

Yes; still, they do show a bit of promise since several have that flanging / subtly changing quality about 'm. I wish I could find the DX200 FM7 banks again; I owned a Yamaha AN200 which had the FM7 trial disc with a set of voices for the DX200, which did sound quite a bit more "modern".

As for effects, agreed; but I love the bit of magic that just a bit of chorus/reverb does on a DX - suddenly, all the criticism about the DX sounding bad melts away. I've had the chance to play with the Waldorf Microwave I, which for several patches likes a similar treatment, too; but the owner said I picked exactly those patches that weren't typical of the MW :).

• Members

Yes; still, they do show a bit of promise since several have that flanging / subtly changing quality about 'm. I wish I could find the DX200 FM7 banks again; I owned a Yamaha AN200 which had the FM7 trial disc with a set of voices for the DX200, which did sound quite a bit more "modern".

I agree, some of these sounds are brilliant even without effects but I wish there were more of them in the collection.

By 'old school' programming I meant not using the full potential of the instrument. If you closely examine how voices in the original ROMs were programmed, you'll notice that, for example, 'volume' and 'timbre' envelopes are usually exactly the same, Env Bias not utilised, amplitude envelope rarely does something interesting, etc. No wonder - these sounds originated at the time when DX style synthesis was a novelty.

It still constitutes for great and unique sounds, which are magical with external effects but how much better would a DX7 sound if someone reprogrammed the presets using the knowledge and experience from using this instrument for years.

• Members

I wish I could find the DX200 FM7 banks again; I owned a Yamaha AN200 which had the FM7 trial disc with a set of voices for the DX200, which did sound quite a bit more "modern".

I have some right here. For FM8, of course. :wave:

Only 5 banks, but it's at least something?

• Members

Are you talking about presets for FM7 that were taken from the DX200? Like the ROM banks for the DX200? There is some great presets on the DX200 which keep me from selling the thing for GAS monies. Also, Yamaha gave away a FM7 demo with the AN200? Maybe for the extra licencing $ they'd get from NI?

On a slightly related note, I was *really* disappointed with the extra presets Yamaha gave away with the DX200 software editor, I thought they were gonna be like the best of Yamaha FM programming. Instead I got some really lame toy piano sounds, calliope bass, tines Rhodes that sounded really weak (even for that tines patch which is fun to noodle about with) and just generally lacklustre sounds. I'm not sure if this had something to do with slightly different parameters on the DX7 vs the DX200.

• Members

Ah yes. The good old brown battleship. Samples are a poor substitute, I know, but for those who don't have the real thing, here's a couple of sample-sets (not quite free, but pretty cheap). Sampled, of course, at multiple velocities to capture that lovely velocity response. Most of these are my own custom DX7 sounds. Available for Kontakt and other formats.

Now I'm wishing my DX7 were not on a different continent than I was :-)

DX7 Fretless bass: mp3 demo and web page (

Archived