OT: Can mods ban themselves?

• Members

I'm not trying to ruffle any scales or cause a big scene here. I'm just wondering, like in regards to the fact that I've heard a lot of people say if the older, "get off my lawn you lousy kids" mods, resigned, ( a la Richard Nixon I assume) things would somehow get better. I'm not sure of this either way, but a good way to test it (to a degree) might be if Gus and Palo took a little vacation so we could test the theory, instead of letting it just float in the air and be muttered about in dark bars and communist frequented coffee shops (where any ambivalence might grow.)

I have nothing against the mods, not in any big way. How they dealt with Droolmaster was not great in my opinion at all, (in fact I think... well, who cares what I think, really? (feel free to quote that) I've been around for a long time and though I try to be helpful, many members just have better answers so I'll usually leave most things to them...) though, THOUGH, from reading their posts (the mods) I can most definitely sympathize with their point of view and the frustrations often involved in their work.

I'm not saying this to mess with them (you guys, Palo and Gus, I don't want to be rude and not address you, as a life long amateur I respect you guys in your musical knowledge and what you do with it), just maybe they could take a vacation from the wierdness and the madness, walk among the common man for awhile, and we could maybe really find out if it's in fact, better for the board or not. Though we all may have a different idea of what a better community is, isn't that what really matters in the end?

Just an idea, a proposed experiment really. I've got no malice in my heart, in fact malice is one of my most disliked qualities. It just seems like an interesting idea, and I humbly, and respectfully, present it for the thoughtful and objective consideration, of the board yes to a small degree, but really for the mods themselves. I mean no disrespect what so ever, and it is for you to disregard or not.

I'm most certainly not going to turn this into a poll, for I think that would be very unfair, sleazy and deragoatory to Gus and Palo. I don't care what anybody says, that would not be cool at all.

Thank you for taking the time off from running guns for the Yakuza to read this, and I welcome alternate points of view.

(P.S. Sorry to the mods if the thread title was a little on the provacative side, it's the best i could come up with.)

(P.P.S. I'm sorry things could not be worked out with droolmaster. Prickly guy or not, he was a straight shooter, which is an endangered species really, and the majority of the time he had thought provoking and interesting ideas about music and life and the music of life... I guess. Whatever happened, I'll say it's not the same here without him, though I'll refrain from proposing marriage.)

Peace.

• Members

Now that we have four mods I'm hoping for a mod war to break out, with KSS split down the middle, goofy hobbyists vs serious-like-a-heart-attack pros, jedi mods vs sith mods. KamehameBAN!!!! Just think of the epic modbanbattles, this place would become a wasteland, the strewn corpses of innocent bystander bannees littering the OT threads...

That would be so boss.

I'm not banning myself or banning Paolo, btw, even while it is technically possible.

:idk:

Now, let's welcome -not- the {censored}fest this thread will provoke.

... However, I can promise you that if there is created one more thread about banning the mods, about "supporting" Gene Schwartz or any other resemblance of these two topics, I will close them and apply a one-week off to the person creating the post. If this is the way you like things, so be it.

I don't care if you love him and if you tattoo his name in your butt, dude.

But I'm not tolerating more threads with the same topic.

I don't know why you may think it makes the forum any better, other than creating more controversy and say "Hey Man, look the thread I opened at the KSS to provoke Gus and Paolo!" which as a matter of fact, is the case here.

• Members

... However, I can promise you that if there is created one more thread about banning the mods, about "supporting" Gene Schwartz or any other resemblance of these two topics, I will close them and apply a one-week off to the person creating the post. If this is the way you like things, so be it.

I think you may have missed the point, he wasnt in anyway trying to ruffle feathers or cause a flame war. Just expressing an idea that MAYBE you and Paolo have gotten a little overly heated lately.

pleae note that I have exchanged a many PM with Paolo in the last couple days and I am doing everything I can to see your guys point of the situation and I can see where I was wrong about things and I can see his point of the situation, I say this so this post doest come across as a "flame".

I mean that honestly when I say that you may have missed the point of this thread and I am not trying to cause trouble.

Civil discourse about this matter not allowed? We're all adults here.

• Members

I don't know why you may think it makes the forum any better, other than creating more controversy and say
"Hey Man, look the thread I opened at the KSS to provoke Gus and Paolo!"
which as a matter of fact, is the case here.

I realy don't think he's questioning your judgements or actions in an attempt to be cool or controversial. He phrased his points very respectfully, something I was impressed with as I'm not sure I could do the same at this point. I dislike the way this forum is moderated and think there should only be two, fresh, mods. You may ban me for saying so if you wish. Locking threads that get a bit heated and banning anyone that upsets the status quo makes for mundane discussion where people are afraid to speak their minds. It's KSS FFS, not childcare.

• Members

And then, it was just the right time to it, right?

A civil discourse... let's just see what comes next regarding what a
civil discourse
is for some, including you.

Still, I will do what I promised.

If you wanted to know, I'm the
Sith
here.

what? I dont control The Severalist :confused:

what comes next will probably be people stating that they either disagree or agree with what has taken place here and what they like or dislike about this forum. A discussion if you will, civil discourse.

btw, you know the Sith was fictional right? :)

we're all friends here!

• Members

What the heck Mytee, you're selling a MEK too :lol:... I'm only selling mine since I just bought a PEK. I've noticed a couple others selling their MEK too. Economy?

-----------------------

It's sad even that we have to talk about all this moderator stuff. A good forum is one without off topic drama. One that the moderators are hardly noticed as moderators and instead just as another frequenter. Although the ones with drama act as a reality TV show sucking device. It brings everyone in whether they like it or think it's all stupid, everyone will feel something about it. What has gone on here is off topic and pretty silly. So, in that sense I applaud the moderators for making an effort. It makes sense because this is a forum about musical electronics. Everyone wants to express themselves and get a response over it. Some people do it in different ways than others. But what I haven't understood, since I havent paid attention to the drama, is if someone really wants to be here, why would you even show your pride and pick an altercation with someone else. I feel like I'm mumbling, but I think all this is really dumb on everyone's part involved. Is this forum cleaned up now??? It feels more and more communistic around here.

I don't think it's right to cut off people's sense of humor, as long as it's not overboard - then it gets out of hand. I think everyone needs to know their limits.

I've never talked to the mods off the forum and I've never needed to (not implying anything here). But I wouldn't mind starting up a dialogue with them about why all this is going on lately compared to years ago when I never saw any of this go on.

In the end, I think everyone looks at this as a split between personal issues and responsibility/accountability.

• Members

A good forum is one without off topic drama. One that the moderators are hardly noticed as moderators and instead just as another frequenter. .

Thats a very good observation, one which i intend to go by, but if things get out of hand, (as any tom, dick or harry could see), things have to be done to preserve the balance. I dont accept that any one has become 'power hungry' or personal vendattas are being held.

Remember, we have a good devide here, serious discussion and a bit of fun (Hai Guyz, Dude threads etc), which i believe gives the place a little bit of personality.

Another point ive noticed is, newbs are coming to this place quite innocently, seeking honest advice, and because of whats been happening, every one is so warry of trolls and pseudo posters, these innocent posters might be thinking "wtf', i dont need this, im out of here",

and of course that would be defeating the whole point of this place, which is ultimately spoiling everything, for everybody.

Hopefully this will blow over, over time, and we can get back to normal, and just get on.

• Members

Hopefully this will blow over, over time, and we can get back to normal, and just get on.

IIRC, Gus said this more than a year ago and its not going away. The same problem keeps surfacing.

bed time for me, that 100 proof soco mixed with pear flavored jelly belly gelatin cup is making me sleepy.

• Members

I guess we'll have reach deep down inside and ask WWDLPD then.

Remember, we have a good devide here, serious discussion and a bit of fun (Hai Guyz, Dude threads etc), which i believe gives the place a little bit of personality.

Of course, and that's important, well I guess depending on how someone wants to look at it's value :p . Sometimes I have time for the tough in cheek, sometimes I don't have the time to post. And sometimes I ask WWDLPD.

• Members

The mods need to stop responding to threads and simply lock them. Every time you respond to another long-time user with aggressive, "I'm the mod so accept it!" attitude, you damage the forum.

Aye. What he said. It feels like a pow-pow-pow-powertrip.

• Members

Palo is the mod that needs to bow out. That guy is one spicy-a-meatball.

:wave:

You know, it's really hard to understand why people feel this way about Paolo. First off, if you ever MET the guy, you'd realize he's just a really gifted musician, with a lot to offer in KSS-type conversations. Plus he's actually FUNNY.

He acted as a mod and made decisions some people didn't agree with; they kept attacking him, and putting him into positions where he could not win.

Now it seems as though people are just villifying him for {censored}s and giggles.

TRUE, drooly has calmed down quite a bit (from his latter HC posts and my lurking @ analogia), but let us not forget that this dude could get pretty tyranical. I don't know why he was ultimately banned, I probably wouldn't have banned him myself (but that's just because I have a morbid fascination with watching "societies" react fo stressors), but to blame the shortcomings of this forum and the way it's run entirely on Paolo is profoundly short-sighted.

• Members

why all this is going on lately compared to years ago when I never saw any of this go on.

IIRC, IMHO, it was, but it was just the opposite. Gus (I'm not sure when Paolo became a mod) was relatively new and hadn't (I figure) gotten the hang of the forum yet. There were numerous, numerous, complaints about arguments that had crossed threads & PMs that were going unanswered. The forum was generally a mess, the ADSR thing happened and that went on far too long.. I think things went under the auspices of free speech until Gus & Paolo had gotten to know each members individual posting style as well as individual hang ups, if you'll pardon the expression. After that, the brunt of the moderation fell on the people that engaged in the same type of arguing over and over (ie the oasys thing), which IMHO is where it should be, aside from case by case type offenses. I can understand and even relate to how they may put off a "i just don't need this {censored} today" vibe (which is because, after all they are just human ....i think :lol:), sure they may take things personally, and sure it's within your (the members) rights to address the concern, which I personally think they would respond to. I think there's much to be said about following a protocol and less about everyone having to chime in with their two cents about who needs to be strung up.

Archived