Korg M50 versus Kurzweil PC3?

• Members

I'm new to the whole synth world, so I'd love any input from people who do.

Questions:

Which is better for jazz gigs?

Which has the most capability to creat your own individual sound?

Which has the better acoustic piano sound?

Thanks

:confused:

Definitely the PC3x out of those two. The M50 has more detailed and interesting out-of-the-box synth sounds and arpeggios, but the PC3x has superior piano sounds and synthesis engine.

• Members

You might want to demo the Kurz PC3X against the Korg M3-88, not the M50.

U.S. Prices (for comparison only since you live in Australia)

$ 3,000 -- PC3X -- http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PC3X

$ 2,700 -- M388 -- http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/M3-88/

$ 1,800 -- M5088 -- http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/M50-88/

I would also suggest looking at:

Yamaha Motif XS8

Roland Fantom G8

• Members

You might want to demo the Kurz PC3X against the Korg M3-88, not the M50.

Ha! you just beat me to it Martin. I was about to suggest the same.

The M3 is indeed a much better comparison.

btw, good to see you back. where have you been?

• Members

Yeah you'd have to compare vs the M3 88..

not necessarily a PC3 vs M50...mainly because the M50 wasn't exactly made to be at the PC3 level of competition...

The M3 I'd say is at that level...then it becomes what you as an individual get out of it personally

In which case, please see below:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2173943

• 1 year later...
  • Members

Highly depends what you want.

I got a PC3, but also experienced with korgs, and well Korg sounds a bit more.... Processed?

PC3 on the other hand sounds quiet natural, piano sound is passable on both, but kurz has more real sounding sample, while korg has the "bright piano". And that about sums up the difference on all the other sounds too.

Also kurz has hammond emulator (which sounds, pretty good actually) and a VA engine which surpasses korg, BUT the presets are very "bad", they dont have enough controllers assigned to them and there are not enough of em.

Korg on the other hand has quiet good synth set to start with. Overall I think korg has a slightly better programming too. Except for keyed instruments where nothing can beat the kurz. (Except harpsichord, which is better in korg, but best in neither).

Uh and also dont get kurzweil if you need horns. Or wait till the exp and see if there is some in it.

• 1 year later...
  • Members
Kurzweil is the answer to all your answers. M50 is a lower budget synth, sure is capable, but it's not on the same level as Kurzweil is.

thanks for your advice, i just sold my M50 to buy a PC361....great job on Animoto, i picked that up a while back...Zero-G is a favorite...

• Members

Having had both a PC361 and M50-73 at my disposal, I gigged with the M50, despite liking the PC361's sounds better, because I preferred the Korg's light weight, the extra keys, and the touch screen which I had set up to make it very easy to switch right hand sounds on the fly while doing left hand bass. Functionality trumped sound for those gigs. (I also briefly had a PC3, but I did not like the feel of its keyboard at all, and it was way too big and heavy.)

Funny that people said PC3 was so easily superior to the M50, but it would be a tougher call against the M3, considering that, in most ways, the comparison is the same (that is, the vast majority of the sound and functionality of the M3 is also in the M50). I think that, if you prefer the Kurz over either of those Korgs, you'll likely prefer the Kurz over both of them, and vice versa.

• Members

I'm lovin my PC3X now that I discovered Kurz, wish I had given up on my other previous boards long ago, does everything extremely well, best of all worlds great do it all keyboard and great degree of creativity. However I have not had a Korg, wonder what it would give me that I can't come up with already. I am having some trouble getting the exact synth sound I am looking for but maybe I have not put it together yet. So what is Korg's real forte, what does it do well?

• Members

However I have not had a Korg, wonder what it would give me that I can't come up with already. I am having some trouble getting the exact synth sound I am looking for but maybe I have not put it together yet. So what is Korg's real forte, what does it do well?

I use both a Korg Triton and Radias. Most of my music is purely synth-based and it's easy to create the sounds I'm looking for with both, especially the Radias with all the individual knobs. Someone in this thread mentioned that Korg sounds are "processed," however, I'd prefer to say they are "finished" and they sound good in a mix or live. Obviously you can always remove the effects if you like.

A friend of mine has an M3 which offers some outstanding acoustic and synth sounds. I'm amazed with the pads, leads and EFX he's created, all without the optional EXB Radias board.

Of course the new Kronos is phenomenal with its selection of synth engines, but that's way out of my price range.

• Members

Blargh, I can't seem to find any kurzweils to demo here in Orlando....I need to know if the b3 organ, which was by many accounts improved by an OS update, will be good enough. My other option is something like an electro 3 or roland vr-700, but of course I lose flexibility with all other sounds if I go that way.

• Members

Blargh, I can't seem to find any kurzweils to demo here in Orlando....
I need to know if the b3 organ, which was by many accounts improved by an OS update, will be good enough.
My other option is something like an electro 3 or roland vr-700, but of course I lose flexibility with all other sounds if I go that way.

It's good enough. thumbsup.gif

• Members

Having had both a PC361 and M50-73 at my disposal, I gigged with the M50, despite liking the PC361's sounds better, because I preferred the Korg's light weight, the extra keys, and the touch screen which I had set up to make it very easy to switch right hand sounds on the fly while doing left hand bass. Functionality trumped sound for those gigs. (I also briefly had a PC3,
but I did not like the feel of its keyboard at all, and it was way too big and heavy.)

Funny that people said PC3 was so easily superior to the M50, but it would be a tougher call against the M3, considering that, in most ways, the comparison is the same (that is, the vast majority of the sound and functionality of the M3 is also in the M50). I think that, if you prefer the Kurz over either of those Korgs, you'll likely prefer the Kurz over both of them, and vice versa.

Your post makes me feel like less of a {censored} for complaining about the big and heavy - thanks! 04.gif

• Members

Blargh, I can't seem to find any kurzweils to demo here in Orlando....I need to know if the b3 organ, which was by many accounts improved by an OS update, will be good enough. My other option is something like an electro 3 or roland vr-700, but of course I lose flexibility with all other sounds if I go that way.

I just sent an email to our sales team in the US, asking for any dealers in your area.

Shoot me an email when you have a minute and hopefully we can get you sorted out.

davew@ycrdi.com

Dave Weiser

Kurzweil R&D

• Members

Here is a direct comparison of the Kurzweil B3 organ/leslie simulation vs. the Hammond B3/122 Leslie:

I'm pretty confident the Kurzweil will scratch the itch ...

Archived