The Korg DSS-1 Sound Library mega-thread

• Members

korg_dss1.jpg

Besides being a synth guy, I've always been fond of samplers. I have had a Korg DSS-1 (aka the aircraft carrier :D ) for several years and frankly when I got it, all I was interested in was sampling small snippets of waveforms and create wonderful pads with its warm analog filters. I've done that, like I've always done with my trusty W-30, and created a small custom library.

HOWEVER, in all these years, I had for some reason never looked at Korg's own factory library from 1987.

As I was reading an old issue of Keyboard magazine, the sounds were praised, so I looked on the Internet. Sure enough, the ENTIRE Korg Library - now of course public domain, being more than 20 years old - was available for download.

And I downloaded it, and was amazed at how many cool sounds were part of that library. Too bad in 1986/1987 I wasn't into sampling yet... :D So I decided I had to do a KSS thread about this library!

Anyway, this is really like going back to my teen-ager years with these sounds, and since there are 70 original diskettes, I'll post audio examples from 10 diskettes for a week.

Comments on these sounds are appreciated - I'm sure you'll like it, and remember: this library is more than 20 years old!!! :)

P.S. Discovering the samples, you will find some notorious samples that made into the ROM of "certain famous Korg workstations" - that's all I'm saying for now :D NOTE: A Roland SRV-3030D adds light reverb only - when there's delay/echo and other modulation fx like flanger/chorus, its' the DSS-1's internal dual DDL lines.

KSDU-001 Piano

Grand Piano 1 What to say... this is impressive for 1987.

Grand Piano 6 a classical, octave piano.

Grand Piano 7 the typical out of tune far west saloon piano.

Electric Piano 4 sweet Rhodes through filter/wah!

KSDU-002 Brass

Alto Sax 1 Not too bad, fairly realistic alto saxophone

Tenor Sax 1 Realistic especially in the high registers

Sax Ensemble 1 a jazzy groove

Brass 3 a nice brass section, with vibrato

Brass 5 Quintessential 1980s synth brass, guys!

KSDU-003 Strings & Choir

Strings 4 the flanging fx is courtesy of the DSS-1

Violin 1 I don't think this is bad sample at all!

Choir 1 a standard mixed choir....

Choir 5... and an android one :D

Strings 2 OKAY BOYS and GIRLS, these are the 1980s!!! :) Check out the wonderfully warm VCFs of the DSS-1

Voice 3 Remember these types of sounds? They were oh- so in vogue back then.

KSDU-004 Guitar & Bass

G. Guitar 1 a very nice acoustic guitar with nylon strings, isn'it? I supposed "G." stands for "Gut" (strings)? Any ideas of what it stands for?

G. Guitar 6 Flamenco version

Wood Bass 1 Can you believe in 1986, some clever programmer already thought well to velocity-switch a contrabass string sound with the "smack" version of the same sample? Expressive..

Electric Bass 1 and of course the classic velo-switch from picked to slapped bass...

Distorted Guitar This type of sound seemed popular back then, when hair-metal bands were all the rage...

KSDU-005 Japanese Inst

Koto 1 A beautiful instrument from the same country as Korg...

Glissando this is a wonderful sample, is it not?

Shakuhachi Not that sample (you know which one I'm talking about.. hint sledgehammer hint..) but this one sounds very authentic to me.

KSDU-006 Indian Inst

Sitar samples a bit short, but it conveys the idea

Rhythm 1 This is fun to play! Some good tabla samples in this patch.

Rhythm + Tablas at cruise speed

KSDU-007 Bass Groups

Harp not too bad!

Wood Bass & Piano standard split

Electric Bass & Brass 1 Does anybody hear the root of a certain sound from a certain very famous American comedy show of the 1990s that starts from "S" and ends in "d"? I'll give more info later :D

KSDU-008 Pianos II

8' Piano here's another root of another very famous sound... do you know which one? :)

KSDU-009 Electric Guitars 1 & 2

Guitar 2 typical slightly chorused guitar of the 1980s

Guitar 5 the classic bluesy Stratocaster.

Guitar 2 Quintessential '80s guitar sound

KSDU-010 Acoustic

Guitar another good example of acoustic

Mandolin another little root of another famous workstation sound... know which one? :)

Guitar 1 Wait, wait.. this still holds up! After 20 years...

That's it for today - 011 through 020 tomorrow - stay tuned.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Wow, that was cool to hear. Interesting how many of those samples ended up in the M1, T-Series, 01, etc. Paolo, you've done quite an amazing job documenting so many synths. Your site has an astounding amount of information and sound examples.

It takes alot of time and dedication to do all of that and it should be well appreciated by anyone who checks the site out. I use it quite frequently, even sometimes just to get nostalgic about a synth I've played in the past, sometimes to help me decide if I want to buy something. Thanks very much and keep it coming...

• Members

Hey, thanks guys :)

YES, many of the samples on the original DSS-1 library were the core samples used in the famous M1 - the first "workstation" and the M-series, and the T-series - MORE examples of this to come :D

Here we go with diskettes 011 through 020, enjoy

KSDU-011 Group & Orchestra Hits

Orchestra 1 the classic orchestral hits, very in fashion in the mid-1980s

Band Hit 1 realistic brass hits and the classic "Yes" stab

KSDU-012 Brass Hits

Big Band 1 very good jazz big band ensemble! It faithfully captures the 1940s atmosphere

Big Band 6 and here is the more relaxed, 1960s version ;)

KSDU-013 Combined Groups

Voices 2 gorgeous choir that works also as a warm vox pad

Choir another good choir.

4' Piano piano that focuses on the top octaves

Mix Piano excellent jazz piano that works also for Latin, Cabaret, Ragtime, Broadway Show, Classical etc... :D

Choir-Vibes reminds of certain sounds of the 1970s

Gremlins remember the movie?

KSDU-014 Sound Effects

Sound Effects 1 classic FX

Sound Effects 1 more

KSDU-015 Drums

Drums 1 aaah.. the sound of early sampled drums...

Drums 3 typical 1980s drums

KSDU-016 Latin Percussion

Conga & Agogo these are still some good percussion samples!

Bongos & Maracas these are cool too

Timbales & SE good timbales.

KSDU-017 Percussion

Chime, Cymbal the DSS-1 goes up to 48kHz of sampling rate...

Kit 2 Tree more percussion...

KSDU-018 Strings

Group Strings $$ gorgeous string ensemble, very warm

Violas 10 cool viola sound

Power & $ big analog ensemble

KSDU-019 Voices

Air Vox 1 beautiful ethereal Fairlight patch... a popular patch in the 1980s.

Air Vox 7 a variation with the classic flanger effect of the '80s - obtained via the DDL lines onboard

UH OH 3 classic humanoid voice

UH OH 8 typical sampled vox of the '80s

KSDU-020 Brass

French 01 classical French Horns

Trumpet octaves jolly trumpets

Brass Hit1 typical "elephant" style

That's it for today... :) Tomorrow, 021 through 030

• Members

Wow, that's fantastic Paolo.

That just shows how Korg and the DSS-1 were far ahead or its time, and were trendsetters. The DSS-1 deserves its place alongside the DX7, D-50 and M1 as a true bar-raising synth, even if it wasn't as popular. Plus, all the other mentioned synths have nothing on the DSS-1's filters (same as DW8000, which I have, truly wonderful filters...)

How much does the DSS-1 weight? And does anyone know how the keybed compares to the DW-8000? Is it the same (fast but a bit spongy)?

I have to say that this resonant sweep from the DSS-1 is very GAS-inducing.

• Members

Larry Hendry was a really decent guy, who left us way too soon. Those involved with modular synths are likely familiar with his efforts. (My own contact with Larry was Korg synth related, although not concerning the DSS-1.) I'm glad that his website outlives him, still giving in the spirit in which Larry seemed to thrive.

See: http://musicthing.blogspot.com/2005/10/rip-larry-hendry-aka-wise-guy-synth.html

• Members

Is there any software that can convert from the DSS format to something more common (Akai, Kontakt, etc)?

I'd like to load the samples into my S5000 (or an Emax, if I ever get hold of a rack).

Has anyone downloaded all the disks and cares to share the full content in one file? (Yes, I am lazy)

• Members

Is there any software that can convert from the DSS format to something more common (Akai, Kontakt, etc)?

I'd like to load the samples into my S5000 (or an Emax, if I ever get hold of a rack).

Has anyone downloaded all the disks and cares to share the full content in one file? (Yes, I am lazy)

I think there is a sample translator software. However, I would not be surprised when the samples are mediocre. Most of the charm and warmth comes from the filter and dual delays. A wonderful board.

• Members

I have software that "converts" them KIND OF. You have to load the samples into the synth (assuming your floppy still works of course) then the software will read them into your PC as wav files. I converted a few (like the YES samples in the video above) as well as a few others I had created way back when.

I NEVER use my DSS-1 anymore but I just can't part with it. It made some of the dirtiest samples possible...

-Mc

• Members

Here we go with 021 through 030 - enjoy :)

KSDU-021 Guitars

Acoustic Guitar 1 a nice, crispy acoustic guitar - not too shabby especially considering this library was made in 1987

ElectrkD nice guitar with juicy '80s flanger - rigorously done with the two DDL lines, guys... I'm only adding a pinch of reverb to all these samples, nothing more :)

Overdrive Guitar hair-metal fare

KSDU-022 Pianos

Grand Piano A very nice grand piano sound!!! Improves on the one on diskette KSDU-001.

Electric Piano + Bass standard split: acoustic bass on the left side of the keyboard, Rhodes on the right.

Piano 8 Supremely '80s This is a piano sample edited with the wonderful analog engine onboard.

KSDU-023 Flutes & Harp

Flutes This is an extremely sweet-sounding flute sound. ALSO works for Mellotron-type.

Flutes 2 Realistic, beautiful tone.

Tomita 1 Very cool rendition of the analog flute/sounds of the inimitable Japanese electronic keyboardist

Taj Mahal Wonderful flute patch, very gentle and expressive

Low Harp Lovely bucolic moments

KSDU-024 Woodwinds

Pan Flute the wonderful Andean instrument

Pan 4 the pan flute gets the analog treatment...

Zamfir Obviously inspired by the incredible Romanian artist Gheorghe, "the master of the pan flute"

Pan Synth this could be perfect to accent a scene of Red Riding hood skipping away through the woods to go visit her grandma.

Oboe High okay

OboSynth cool...

KSDU-025 Strings

Strings Fabulous samples that improve on diskette KSDU-003

Strings 2 There's "something special" about how the DSS-1 delivers the sound, I think

Orchestra big orchestral ensemble

Syn String the classic mid-80s Korg analog filters

Solo Strings nice sound

KSDU-026 Harpsichord & Organ

Harpsichord Realistic harpsichord for classical

Harpsichord 4' and this one is more apt to score a 1960s movie :)

Syn Lyra 3 Curiously Pink-Floyd'ish, don't you think?

Pipe Organ Powerful church organ, all stops pulled

Cathedral huge church organ

KSDU-027 Brass

Flugelhorn not bad for 1987...

Brass 4 reminds me of Herb Alpert for some reason.

French Horns Very solemn French Horns, improving on diskette KSDU-020

KSDU-028 Brass & Sax

Trumpets trumpet section in the king's yard

Brass 3 curiously 1960s cinema style

Fanfare 7 Get that fox

Sax 1 Again, not bad for being a 22 year old saxophone patch

Sax Ensemble sweet swing band style

KSDU-029 Percussion

Simmons The classic hexagonal kits from the '80s

Simmons 2 version with the "Miami Vice" snare :D

Drums recognize something?? Some of these went into the M1...

Rock 2 with cool slapback echo obtained with the DDL lines

KSDU-030 Electric Guitars

Guitar 1 sweet electric guitar sound

Chorus 1 nice Strat with chorus, again obtained with the DDL

Guitar DDL swingy Rockabilly guitar with slapback echo, courtesy of the Digital Delay Lines

Steel 2 The DSS-1 has a cool Auto-Bend feature, you know...

Taj Mahal phenomenal patch, extremely cinematic and introspective

Guitar 1 The U S of A 's favorite sound :D

• Members

The DSS-1 is one of my all time favorite synths. The fact it uses those gorgeous 12 bit samples and additive synthesis in the osc section is part of the reason why. The 12db/24db switchable filter is simply fantastic. The DSS-1 combines the best aspects of digital - sampling waveforms and analog - filtering technologies.

If Korg had any mercy on us die hard DSS-1 users, they would soft synth the damn thing already so I can free up half of my studio space and get rid of all those blasted floppy disks!

Archived