MINIAK - new synth from Akai/Alesis

mildbill

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

So this is the new "Micron", eh? Not so keen on the MPK styling. Looks like they're using the screen from the MPC500 and there's no mention of a software editor or even a USB connection. Maybe they'll have a similar Alesis synth that will be more alluring. Kind of like the SR18 and XR20?

• Members

I like the 3 wheels (like the Ion, but it looks like they're not lighted). Synth architecture seems similar (identical?) to the Micron, but there's not enough info to tell.

Looks like they took a hint from Korg on the gooseneck mic.

It's got a bit different layout from the Micron and might not have the one knob data entry system.

I like it.

If you scroll down a bit, they've got a new MPK88 that looks like it might make a real good controller. Once again, not enough info to tell, but I'll be taking a look at it for sure when it comes out.

• Members

This might actually be the same synth that's in the MPC5000 (the same subtractive VA engine that was in the Fusion). Is that also the same VA engine in the Micron? I wonder what kind of Polyphony we can expect? It says "The MINIAK enables users to create programs with up to eight multi-timbral voices, each with three oscillators."

• Members

Yeah, the MPK88 is far more interesting to me.
:)
I'm anxious to find out more about that one.

Yeah me too. The MPK49 turned me off because it does not have a complete set of 16 pads. Not that I am really into using pads, but I have had an interest on and off over the last couple of years and considered various options. Weighted keys would be nice too. I could hook it up to Akoustik Piano and practice in my office on those days the kids are driving me nuts. I have considered a digital piano for that multiple times over the last few months.

• Members

This might actually be the same synth that's in the MPC5000 (the same subtractive VA engine that was in the Fusion). Is that also the same VA engine in the Micron? I wonder what kind of Polyphony we can expect? It says "The MINIAK enables users to create programs with up to eight multi-timbral voices, each with three oscillators."

Saying it's the "same subtractive VA engine that was is the Fusion" is pretty inaccurate really.

The VA engine in the MPC5000 has a hard wired signal path OSC->AMP->FILTER Configuration. The Fusion VA is freely Configurable in most respects via the Mod Matrix etc so you aren't tied down to a standard signal path from the get go....... Something people always forget about the VA engine in the fusion.

• Members

... Is that also the same VA engine in the Micron? I wonder what kind of Polyphony we can expect? It says "The MINIAK enables users to create programs with up to eight multi-timbral voices, each with three oscillators."

The specs listed sound the same as the Micron - 8 voice polyphony. Multi-timbral, not mono or bi-timbral. etc.

• Members

Saying it's the "
same subtractive VA engine that was is the Fusion
" is pretty inaccurate really.

The VA engine in the MPC5000 has a hard wired signal path OSC->AMP->FILTER Configuration. The Fusion VA is freely Configurable in most respects via the Mod Matrix etc so you aren't tied down to a standard signal path from the get go....... Something people always forget about the VA engine in the fusion.

How is that inaccurate? Maybe there's a miscommunication here. I'm discussing the basic "sound" of the synth. Not all the nuances in programming differences. If they're using the same coding/algos/math/whatever for the MPC's Osc, Amp and Filter it will still sound like a Fusion. Arguing about the Fusion's better mod matrix is irrelevant when the basic building blocks are the same. For example, Arturia's Analog Factory has simplified signal flow and isn't as flexible as their separate products, but it still sounds like Arturia stuff because it's really running the same coding that's in their other products. That's what I mean by "the same synth engine in the Fusion".

• Members

The link for the MPK88 says - '...fully-weighted, hammer-action keyboard with assignable keyboard split and aftertouch...'

Yes I saw that, I mean it would be nice to have a controller with weighted keys. I have an XS6 as my main hub. The only keyboard I have with weighted keys is a real piano :)

Archived