Virus C vs Virus Snow

evanb

• Members

So obviously the TI is a big plus for some with the snow model, but as far as programming and just usability is the sound pretty equal? Would the more knobs on the C model be better for a beginner then the menu diving of the snow?

It doesn't seem like the Virus C is dated and they appear to hold their value pretty well so I would look to hear the good vs bad between the 2

• Members

I don't know about the sound of the C but I can tell you a bit about the TIs.

I've got a TI desktop and I do 95% of the tweaking from the Virus Control plug-in. If you don't mind using a mouse it might actually be more beneficial to learn synthesis using the VC plug-in so you can view and access all the parameters at once. Viruses are complex synthesizers and the assload of knobs and buttons can be deceptive. Even with all the realtime control, there's A LOT going on behind the scenes that a software editor will allow you to more easily understand.

My personal advice is to buy the Snow (and a Behringer BCR2000 if you MUST have knobs). If you really can't afford the snow, or you just like the idea of all those knobs on the C then you should be able to find a software editor for it. But be aware there's a lot of new sound design tricks and great effects on the TI that'll be missing from the C.

• Members

... If you really can't afford the snow, or you just like the idea of all those knobs on the C then you should be able to find a software editor for it...

When the C sold new, it came with a version of Soundiver. It's still available on the Access site (linking to their site doesn't always work for me, but here it is anyways):

http://www.access-music.de/downloads.php4?product=virusc#cat7

But ya - there's a lot of things the Snow would have that the C doesn't.

Nope - link doesn't work, but it's products/discontinued products/C/downloads.

• Members

Well, the C has 16 (1 per part) - from the Access comparison chart:

Equalizer (16) One Band EQ Per Part Low, High (Frequency/Gain) + Fully Parametric Mid (Frequency/Gain/Q)

Phaser 16 (one 6-Stage Stereo Phaser Per Part)

Chorus

Analog Boost

Ring Modulator

Distortion 16 (1 Per Part): Distortion, Rectifier, Wave Shaper, Bit/Sample Rate Reducer, Lowpass, Highpass.

BUT - the reverb/delay is shared - only one of those.

• Members

Had a Virus C and enjoyed programming it so much that I decided to get a TI. To be honest, I can't recall the last time I ever touched the TI other than to turn it on and off. I do all the programming from the Virus control plug in. From what I remember there were no major differences to the sound but the C is long since gone.

• Members

I am hesitant to go the TI line. Firstly, I do not need computer control. Secondly, I hear still stories about clicks when pushing the unit. People have to record over and over to get a clean run. Is that what you guys with a TI experience too or are these just single cases?

• Members

I am hesitant to go the TI line. Firstly, I do not need computer control. Secondly, I hear still stories about clicks when pushing the unit. People have to record over and over to get a clean run. Is that what you guys with a TI experience too or are these just single cases?

No issues with clicks here and I've got mine plugged in via USB cable only. I did have a slight issue when I got it set up but I think the solution was in the clocking... or it could just be my lousy memory. If you don't need computer control then I wouldn't bother but it's a REALLY nice feature.

• Members

There have been recent improvements to the OS which address this issue.

• Members

There have been recent improvements to the OS which address this issue.

Last time I looked on infekted.org, there still was complaining about clicks, even with the TI2 model.

Another question: How many parts get people together with the TI? Everybody claims that the effect per sound is so great, but at the end people claim they only get 3-4 parts.

• Members

Well, the C has 16 (1 per part) - from the Access comparison chart:

Equalizer (16) One Band EQ Per Part Low, High (Frequency/Gain) + Fully Parametric Mid (Frequency/Gain/Q)

Phaser 16 (one 6-Stage Stereo Phaser Per Part)

Chorus

Analog Boost

Ring Modulator

Distortion 16 (1 Per Part): Distortion, Rectifier, Wave Shaper, Bit/Sample Rate Reducer, Lowpass, Highpass.

BUT - the reverb/delay is shared - only one of those.

My bad, I should have clarified that in my original post about the delay/reverb being the (my) main concern.

• Members

Another question: How many parts get people together with the TI? Everybody claims that the effect per sound is so great, but at the end people claim they only get 3-4 parts.

IMHO, it's not that great. I use the TI live, and restrict my self to 6 parts. The voice count is definitely questionable. The amount of unisons, reverb, delay et al can certainly chew up the voice count quick smart. No match for a SuperNova II...

And I have lost voices / dropped notes mid gig :eek:

My understanding is that the dsp is split, odd parts use dsp 1, even parts use dsp 2, so staggering heavy patches needs to be a slight concern / in the back of my mind when writing tracks.

• Members

Last time I looked on infekted.org, there still was complaining about clicks, even with the TI2 model.

The beauty is in having 16 different sounds with their own effect configurations, not necessarily having 16 sounds with effects all at once. This keeps me from doing a bunch of unnecessary live program changes in the middle of a song.

• Members

IMHO, it's not that great. I use the TI live, and restrict my self to 6 parts. The voice count is definitely questionable. The amount of unisons, reverb, delay et al can certainly chew up the voice count quick smart. No match for a SuperNova II...

And I have lost voices / dropped notes mid gig
:eek:

My understanding is that the dsp is split, odd parts use dsp 1, even parts use dsp 2, so staggering heavy patches needs to be a slight concern / in the back of my mind when writing tracks.

That is what I am reading, there is a lot of cutting going on. Not that I am a fan of stacking sounds, but even simple sounds do not get up to the 80 voice counts. However, I think that whole limitation takes away the beauty of the rvb/dly for each sound. At the end you can buy 4 VirusBs and have as many parts and more voices. Granted, you miss out on the new features.

• Members

I am sorry, but the beauty would be that you can use at least 10 or so parts at once. Not that you necessarily have to use all 16 parts together, but to be limited to 3-4 parts at once, doesn't sound appealing.

Either you haven't had much experience with a TI or you're just a greedy old SOB!! :p J/K

I'm no Access fanboy, Trust me, I've had my issue with Access. But seriously, if your TI is using up all of its DSP on only 3-4 parts chances are good it's gonna sound crowded, cluttered, and generally {censored}ed up if you push it much further.

It only stresses badly if it's doing very heavy complex sounds with loads of effects. 6 is about the average and plenty with the quality of effects. If you're constantly doing walls of heavily complex sounds eating up all of your headroom I probably don't even want to hear your music anyways.

• Members

I am sorry, but the beauty would be that you can use at least 10 or so parts at once. Not that you necessarily have to use all 16 parts together, but to be limited to 3-4 parts at once, doesn't sound appealing.

I am sorry, but I also have to add this:

We are living in the day and age of the silicon Jesus... all of our wildest audiophile synth dreams and desires, our......salvation if you will....in our grasp for the mere equivalent of pocket change.

Can you imagine someone in 1982 bitching about having only 3-4 parts on a single machine with the sound and capabilities of a Virus?

Bounce it to digital audio (with no signal loss), move on to the next part and STFU!! They couldn't even do that in 1982.

• Members

Bounce it to digital audio (with no signal loss), move on to the next part and STFU!! They couldn't even do
that
in 1982.

I get it. The TI is not for me. I do not bounce anything rather stay in Midi space and 6 parts is not enough for my style of music. BTW I like the Virus as well.

And yes, I do not have much experience with the TI. Thus my questions.

• Members

We are living in the day and age of the silicon Jesus... all of our wildest audiophile synth dreams and desires, our......salvation if you will....in our grasp for the mere equivalent of pocket change.

Can you imagine someone in 1982 bitching about having only 3-4 parts on a single machine with the sound and capabilities of a Virus?

Bounce it to digital audio (with no signal loss), move on to the next part and STFU!! They couldn't even do
that
in 1982.

Good post.

• Members

you could buy a rhodes chroma in 82 it had 8 part multi, 8 or 16 poly and i think, just maybe, it sounds better than the virus.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

that
in 1982.

I think I never really made my point, so I wanted to add this here:

What I do not understand is, why I cannot use the Virus TI 16 parts even when only using the features available on a Virus B (no third oscillator, only global reverb/delay, etc.)? Isn't that a step back???

Archived