Music from The Last Wave

Suilebhain

• Members

I watched Peter Weir's The Last Wave last night, having tracked down the DvD after not seeing it for probably 20 years and noticed the soundtrack. I think in the past the music was just so much a part of the film and I was absorbed by the experience of it that I didn't pay close attention, plus it was coming out of a crappy little TV speaker, but this time it was coming out of my big stereo speakers and really was noticeable.

The music was very reminiscent of Pink Floyd's Echoes off the same album - dreamy synths with an insistent sonar-like chime (that was piano through a Leslie on Echoes). As it was 1977 and the movie industry was admitting progressive rock musicians into their world (for example, Banks and Rutherford doing the soundtrack to The Shout the very next year) and Pink Floyd had already done some soundtracks (La Valle, Zabriskie Point) I thought that it might have been Rick Wright.

However, as the credits rolled I saw no mention or credit for music.

Today I started to research and went to both IMdb and allmovie.com and the credit was given to a "Charles Wain". Following up on that name only led to a bunch of dictionary sites that defined Charles Wain as "Charles' Wain", or Charles' Wagon, an archaic name once used to describe The Big Dipper.

So, was Rick Wright working outside of his contract with EMI and Columbia as Charles Wain to produce this magnificently eerie soundtrack to this equally magnificent film, or was Charles Wain someone who surfaced once to do one soundtrack before drifting off into obscurity?

• Members

Ahh, yeah! The Dij work was amazing! The first time I saw that film I had NO IDEA what that was, thought it was a processed sound. In a way, it WAS a processed sound - processed by a pair of lips and filtered through a long hollow log. ;)

Archived