Keyboard Mixer

• Members

I am currently running two keyboards, a sampler, and a kaoss pad 3 when playing live. Can anyone recommend a mixer with an effects send for the KP3 that I can hook all of this into instead of running one into the other or DIing each of the keyboards and sampler? Thanks

• Members

seems bit pricey for the features -- $499?
:confused:

It's all about the signal path. Same with the ASHLY LX-308B. Both Rane and Ashly mixers have very low noise and lots of headroom. I used many budget mixers before I bought the LX-308B. Running a full mix through it the first time, I could immediately tell a difference in the lower frequencies and overall presence. Makes a big change in the overall sound when you can pump in more volume without clipping. No coloring of the signal though (which is good in my opinion).

lx308b.jpg.jpg

No effects send on the ASHLY, so not good for the O.P.. Maybe someone else may be reading who has different requirements.

If I didn't have the budget for the Rane, yes I'd be looking into the Alesis MultiMix 8 Line.

alesis_multimix8line.jpg

I had bad experiences with the Behringer RX1602.

• Members

seems bit pricey for the features -- $499?
:confused:

It has very low distortion specs and a very low noise floor - you can easily hear the difference to a B******r or a Rolls line mixer. You can also chain these with a single TRS cable for however many inputs you need.

Worth every cent I'd say. :thu:

• Members

It has very low distortion specs and a very low noise floor - you can
easily
hear the difference to a B******r or a Rolls line mixer. You can also chain these with a single TRS cable for however many inputs you need.

Worth every cent I'd say.
:thu:

I see... thanks for clarifying:)

May look into that one - and the models listed by plaid_emu also.

- though my need for a separate mixer is for budget synth boxes (less than stellar specs to begin with (12/10/8 bit DAC gear).. which may mean a less expensive sub mixer would still sound ok.

• Members

I've been doing live sound and playing keyboards in live gigs for 20+ years and have always depended on Mackies, from their original CR-1604, LM3204, 1402 VLZ, 1402 VLZ Pro, 1604 VLZ, 1604 VLZ Pro, 1642 VLZ Pro, and the Onyx 1620.

I highly recommend the 1642VLZ Pro (used) or 1642VLZ III (used or new). For a keyboardist, they are the most versatile mixers Mackie has ever built. These are 4-bus mixers so you can independently route to FOH and monitor console. They have plenty of stereo channels which are better for keyboards -- you control each keyboard with one fader/mute button. (I always run stereo outs from the keys and the keyboard submixer even if the FOH will be mono because I record every gig.) They have the right combination of 1/4" and XLR jacks.

I'd skip the 1604 VLZ Pro/III since they do not have XLR main outs. Now you have to remember bringing adaptor cables. I'd also skip the Onyx 1620. You don't need to better mic pres for a keyboard submix. Finally I'd skip the Onyx 1640 -- too big.

Hallmark of Mackies:

High headroom

Lots of gain on the preamps

Built like a tank/all metal

High quality pots and faders

Internal power supply

Interfaces to any FOH consoles even if phantom power is present (won't fry)

Easily drives very long cables or snakes.

Good noise rejection (you know, those dimmers and chasers really generate a lot of AC noise)

Withstands live plugging

High resale value

DO NOT under any circumstances get Alesis. Been there, done that. In a home studio or DJ gig they may work fine, but in live gigs on stage, they are not robust. They have trouble driving long snakes and they are not immune to noise. Hell, I'd even consider Behringer before Alesis.

• Members

That bad, eh?

I had a Behringer headphone amp, which died. I still have to this day one of their early 2 channel compressors (2100 or something like that). That was the only good one they made. Used the same VCA chips as DBX166 from what I understand.

I swear by:

DBX (compressors, DriveRacks)

Sabine (digital EQs and FBX)

Rane (crossovers, graphic EQ, headphone amps)

Whirlwind (DI boxes, snakes, cables)

Lexicon (reverbs)

TrippLite (powerstrip, surge suppressor)

Tascam (CD recorder)

Crown (amps)

EAW (speakers)

A&H and Mackies (mixers)

Home Depot (duct tape)

Not worth risking the show and my reputation on Alesis and Behringer.

• Members

Hah, no. The better the mixer, the less noise is introduced to the synth's signal,
regardless
of the DACs on those boards!

So, the best you can get is gonna preserve the true cheesiness of below-16-bit DAC gear!
:)

unarguably technically correct:thu:

but 'real world' result:> doubt I could hear the difference when A/B ing my Mackie vs. a Rane.

- not to dispute the accuracy of your observation :wave:(more of a commentary on my aging ears I suppose:cry:).

....that said, I could still use one of those Rane mixers (as now I'm selecting via patchbays). Only other option would be to sell the gear that exceeds my mixer input channels (eek!!!:facepalm:)

• Members

the cool thing about the yam mg10/2 is that it can be mounted on a mic stand so you could have your mixer floating there beside your rig. the later versions of the yam mixer have '1 knob compression' on the first 2 channels which would be ideal for a drum machine or 2 live (through a di into the pres or into the line inputs).

*edit: the older mackie mini mixers could also be mounted on mic stands but not their newer ones i think

Archived